Condensing your tackle...

matt

Site Supporter
Everything’s got so big these days....... don’t get me wrong, I’ve got Piper Alpha (Rive ) plus MAP Dual Rollers which need separate bags for and a double side tray, space shuttle trolley etc.. etc.. ready to go for when I can get back match fishing on commercials but I also have a Brilo, a couple of Boss Rocking Rollers which will fit into a carryall and a couple of rods and a pole which can fit into a normal size rod hold-all. Ready for when I can get back out match fishing again on a local club water.....all of which can be carried on my back.

Each has its own merits :)

Doobydog

I also have a drive on to declutter and carry less. I started with replacing the clunky and over large Fox tackle box with a Korda Tackle box and Korda tackle safe. The are much smaller and easily packed. This worked .

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
You’re very brave you lot. I take everything. Ask Sly 🤣. I’ve tried leaving gear at home and never again. I simply throw everything into the van and use what I want when I get there. Take everything I say.
And a little bit more , 😁

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Taking an inventory?? And ticking it off?? What’s the point , just another way to overthink thinks , take all the gear, and struggle on 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
If I know the venue I am fishing and 14 metres is the maximum length I need, I will leave the 16 Metre section at home. Appreciate it's different for a match as you want the option of fishing at 16 M if you need to, but Dave was asking about taking the pole for a pleasure session.

I leave the roost frame & Matrix protector bar on the seat box legs, roost heads & pole sock are in a Map Parabolix layflat carryall with a pole roller. Before I would have takend a separate pole roller bag & the Parabolix holdall. I still have the kit with me, just 1 less bag to carry.

Total

Site Supporter
You’re very brave you lot. I take everything. Ask Sly 🤣. I’ve tried leaving gear at home and never again. I simply throw everything into the van and use what I want when I get there. Take everything I say.
Not case of being 'brave' our Mick, more a case of being organised...But I do understand what your saying.....(y)....Having a (sizeable) van can encourage one to 'take everything'.....Been there done that! 🤪....Got the bad back to remind me....😝;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I did leave my feeder tray, spare spools and 60mm drawer unit at home, only because I didn't take the feeder rods.

However, I took a 30mm tray and drawer unit with bits in just in case

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not case of being 'brave' our Mick, more a case of being organised...But I do understand what your saying.....(y)....Having a (sizeable) van can encourage one to 'take everything'.....Been there done that! 🤪....Got the bad back to remind me....😝;)
You can only comment on what’s best for you can’t ya Mark ? I understand as we get older we simply can not carry all the stuff we do now. Luckily we have fisheries now that we can park our transport behind us. That doesn’t help when like me you always seem to end up forgetting something. All my tackle is useless without bait. That’s a regular Occurrence with me is that. 🙄

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
20190915_111037.jpg
To be honest... I got my main gear down to a small rucksack, a chair, and a 2 rod quiver... the kit above is my small river stalking kit... all my old match kit was either sold off, given away or in me loft

Total

Site Supporter
You can only comment on what’s best for you can’t ya Mark ? I understand as we get older we simply can not carry all the stuff we do now. Luckily we have fisheries now that we can park our transport behind us. That doesn’t help when like me you always seem to end up forgetting something. All my tackle is useless without bait. That’s a regular Occurrence with me is that. 🙄
Strangely enough Mick, I don't fish one venue where I can park my motor behind me... :ROFLMAO:.....I'll treat you to a decent bait bag Mick.....;)😘

robert d

Site Supporter
I cant cut down,ive tried ,but it didnt work , i take 2 double rod bags ,2 feeders ,2 float ,a pole ,a margin pole ,a big bag for bait and accessories. A stink bag and keepnets ,2 rollers ,side tray ,bump bar ,spray bar and a frenzee trolley because i have to walk to my peg usually ,the only time i dont is when ive loaded everything on trolley and draw the peg nearest me 🤪

robert d

Site Supporter
20190915_111037.jpg
To be honest... I got my main gear down to a small rucksack, a chair, and a 2 rod quiver... the kit above is my small river stalking kit... all my old match kit was either sold off, given away or in me loft
Could you get away with a smaller flask and one tub ,asking for a friend 😁

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My approach is a mix of taking what I need and taking stuff to cover the just in cases. I just simply don't realistically need much and beyond what I need in terms of the just in cases isn't realistically that much either. Rod for stick, rod for waggler and rod for feeder covers me 90% of the time hence why that's usually what I take but when I do take more it would be excessive to go beyond a couple more outfits.

That said I do sometimes think of what I'd consider a "full set up" and it makes me shudder at not only carrying it and the cost to use ratio of the lesser used stuff but also how much earlier I'd have to get up to have enough setting up time to start at a sensible time! 2 wagglers, 2 sticks, 2 bolo, 2 feeders and 2 whips would cost a bomb, kill me to carry and take a week to set up not to mention I would need a bigger car 😂

JayBee

Site Supporter
Having gone fishing today and loaded my trolley for the first time since the first lockdown when I did a four wheel conversion on it, it struck me just how much gear I actually take - and this is without keepnets and rods :eek:

Trolley
Seat box plus stacker units
Side tray, too big really but you never know
Bait bag with a mix of baits and groundbaits
Roller bag packed with allsorts plus two rollers
sandwiches and flask
Pole holdall
Brolly (just in case)
Landing net on it's own

Despite looking at it, short of strip out everything I know I won't use but might need so take it just in case, what can be done to condense tackle to a reasonable, if not sensible, amount? - and that was just for a pleasure fishing session ;)
I'll take pity on you and swap my canal stool for your Rive box.....that should help!!.

robert d

Site Supporter
My approach is a mix of taking what I need and taking stuff to cover the just in cases. I just simply don't realistically need much and beyond what I need in terms of the just in cases isn't realistically that much either. Rod for stick, rod for waggler and rod for feeder covers me 90% of the time hence why that's usually what I take but when I do take more it would be excessive to go beyond a couple more outfits.

That said I do sometimes think of what I'd consider a "full set up" and it makes me shudder at not only carrying it and the cost to use ratio of the lesser used stuff but also how much earlier I'd have to get up to have enough setting up time to start at a sensible time! 2 wagglers, 2 sticks, 2 bolo, 2 feeders and 2 whips would cost a bomb, kill me to carry and take a week to set up not to mention I would need a bigger car 😂
On a pleasure or fun day its nice to take the minimum, ive done it ,take one thing and that will do ,it helps to get in tune and proficient with that item of tackle be it pole ,feeder or float rod . I used to fly fish ,2 light rods ,one floater one sinking line little box with flies all in a bag with flask and sarnies . Match fishing now i take half of bobco with me

Keith Sparky

Short walk and flat take everything including kitchen sink and spare kitchen sink.....Long walk and hilly take 1 rod and bag of bits....simples

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
On a pleasure or fun day its nice to take the minimum, ive done it ,take one thing and that will do ,it helps to get in tune and proficient with that item of tackle be it pole ,feeder or float rod . I used to fly fish ,2 light rods ,one floater one sinking line little box with flies all in a bag with flask and sarnies . Match fishing now i take half of bobco with me
I very rarely take the minimum as that's asking for trouble through the law of sod! I like to have stuff for plans A, B and C just don't want to carry, pay for or spend the time setting ups plans D, E, F etc as well 😅

I'd be dangerous if I earned more though. I'm always thinking of stuff that would be handy to have that I can technically afford but really couldn't justify for the use it would get so I'm fairly disciplined at just buying stuff I'll definitely use regularly. If I had more disposable income I'd be thinking sod it and buying all sorts of just in case that I'd probably hardly use due to not really needing it and not wanting to do all the extra carrying and setting up of it 😂