Condensing your tackle...

CarpCatcher86

I condensed my gear today, didn't even take a rod and reel.
I blanked.

Never again.
That's very funny.
I went fishing today and took inspiration directly from you guys.
I took every item of gear I own with me.
I blanked too.
By the time I had finished setting everything up it was time to come home.

R0B

That's very funny.
I went fishing today and took inspiration directly from you guys.
I took every item of gear I own with me.
I blanked too.
By the time I had finished setting everything up it was time to come home.
No, seriously. That's what I did. Just took a pole, stripped down seatbox and net bag with my bait and flask in it.

I love traveling light, never take more than two rods. Occasionally use a trolley but that's because a box and footplate is so darn heavy and cumbersome.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It's all venue dependant really. For me some places 2 rods will do, most places 3 is about right, 4 covers everything just about everywhere. That's pleasure fishing though I can see how on matches on venues that change a lot peg to peg and in different conditions could need more if you really wanted to cover every likely possibility perfectly.

CarpCatcher86

No, seriously. That's what I did. Just took a pole, stripped down seatbox and net bag with my bait and flask in it.

I love traveling light, never take more than two rods. Occasionally use a trolley but that's because a box and footplate is so darn heavy and cumbersome.
Sorry mate, wrong end of the stick :(
I always prefer to travel light too. Even when I fished matches myself I carried no where near the ammount of gear some of the lads do today.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
1. The angler is fishing a match so will want to cover all options and scenarios.
2. Removing items from a "set-up" increases the risk that things will get left behind.
3. Confidence and familiarity contribute towards success - in some form we are all creatures of habit and the knowledge we have all our "tools" with us takes away avoidable stresses.
4. Doesn't matter what it is - routine,routine and routine form the basis of consistency and improvement.
5. The very best take all they can with them when they fish a match - that tells you all you need to know.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I'm fishing a 'pole only' match I don't take my rods with me, likewise if fishing a 'feeder only' match I don't take my pole or waggler rod.

If fishing a venue I know well then I could condense my gear down to local knowledge, however if like many, certain pegs are better for the pole and some are better with the rod, so unless you know where you've drawn before you set off you cover all eventualities and leave stuff in the car you don't need on the day.

baggy

Mark Saunders
If I'm fishing a 'pole only' match I don't take my rods with me, likewise if fishing a 'feeder only' match I don't take my pole or waggler rod.

If fishing a venue I know well then I could condense my gear down to local knowledge, however if like many, certain pegs are better for the pole and some are better with the rod, so unless you know where you've drawn before you set off you cover all eventualities and leave stuff in the car you don't need on the day.
Exactly

frankg

Site Supporter
Made some major reductions today. I'll soon have up for sale Matrix deep tray with runners and transport lid that slides under the seat and shallow drawer unit that I have replaced with a winder tray for pole rigs that previously was on top of the deep tray unit. One huge 65L Carryall going as well. I take the same amount of fishing gear when I go, just use less to carry it in.
Yeah....yeah....yeah 🙄🤣👍🎣

Juanil

Having gone fishing today and loaded my trolley for the first time since the first lockdown when I did a four wheel conversion on it, it struck me just how much gear I actually take - and this is without keepnets and rods :eek:

Trolley
Seat box plus stacker units
Side tray, too big really but you never know
Bait bag with a mix of baits and groundbaits
Roller bag packed with allsorts plus two rollers
sandwiches and flask
Pole holdall
Brolly (just in case)
Landing net on it's own

Despite looking at it, short of strip out everything I know I won't use but might need so take it just in case, what can be done to condense tackle to a reasonable, if not sensible, amount? - and that was just for a pleasure fishing session ;)
If it’s just a pleasure session, I tend just to take what i need in terms of which method I’ve decided on, ie i wouldn’t take stacker units if I was feeder fishing. I know this is different if fishing a match. It’s bloody hard tho.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
If it’s just a pleasure session, I tend just to take what i need in terms of which method I’ve decided on, ie i wouldn’t take stacker units if I was feeder fishing. I know this is different if fishing a match. It’s bloody hard tho.
Pleasure is totally different for sure ,then just take what you want . I have enjoyed fishing off a deckchair and a little float rod ,in a match for me its take everything and wander if another rod might be useful 😀

Eric18

Could try taking a Shakey box with everything in it including a small landing net and a rod holdall. If fishing the canal, just use a whip up to 4 metres and fish small wags. Saves all the rest of the pole paraphernalia and not having to ship the dam thing back into dog walkers and cyclists. I can get this all on my push bike: the Shakey on the rack and the holdall over my shoulder.