Condensing your tackle...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Having gone fishing today and loaded my trolley for the first time since the first lockdown when I did a four wheel conversion on it, it struck me just how much gear I actually take - and this is without keepnets and rods :eek:

Trolley
Seat box plus stacker units
Side tray, too big really but you never know
Bait bag with a mix of baits and groundbaits
Roller bag packed with allsorts plus two rollers
sandwiches and flask
Pole holdall
Brolly (just in case)
Landing net on it's own

Despite looking at it, short of strip out everything I know I won't use but might need so take it just in case, what can be done to condense tackle to a reasonable, if not sensible, amount? - and that was just for a pleasure fishing session ;)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Having gone fishing today and loaded my trolley for the first time since the first lockdown when I did a four wheel conversion on it, it struck me just how much gear I actually take - and this is without keepnets and rods :eek:

Trolley
sandwiches and flask
Pole holdall
Brolly (just in case)
Landing net on it's own

Despite looking at it, short of strip out everything I know I won't use but might need so take it just in case, what can be done to condense tackle to a reasonable, if not sensible, amount? - and that was just for a pleasure fishing session ;)
You cant ,you need it all 😁😇

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter

Trolley
sandwiches and flask
Pole holdall
Brolly (just in case)
Landing net on it's own

Nothing mate, just struggle and take it all 👍if you take stuff out you’ve got to remember to put it back for another time, too much chance to forget stuff then

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
This will cause at out cry, my tin hat is on in readiness 😬😬😬😬

The main culprit is the pole.

You need a level box, footplate, sidetray, rollers, roosts, rigs, windsock/tulip etc and it soon adds up.
Have you been drinking 😇 you gotta have a pole 😁

ATTICUS FINCH

Don't know about condensing kit mine seems to keep bloody growing .
But as above the pole is the biggest culprit as you need so much more to fish it productively.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have to be condensed as its simply a faff to take loads when you gave a hatchback and mostly fish rivers.

My big old korum ruck bag takes my main tackle box (with all by floats, feeders, hooks, plummets, disgorgers and the like) and up to 4 reels, a couple bait boxes and a couple bags of ground bait in its main compartment then it's side pockets fit other bits and bobs like catapults, rags and other terminal tackle. Then it has a cool bag section on top for my food and drink. Then I typically take 2 float rods, 1 feeder rod and occasionally 1 Avon quiver plus 3 bank sticks and 1 or 2 nets. When it's all that it's in a quiver/rod bag but other times if travelling shorter distances with just 2 or 3 rods and a single net I can easily carry most of it in my chair when it's folded up (often put a couple of the reels in there to make more room in the ruck bag) so just have a couple bits to hold in the other hand.

So fully loaded ruck bag on back, chair in one hand and quiver/rod bag in the other. Easy to carry over a few hundred yards if need be. Never once needed to use more than 3 rods in a session but could probably take double that with that set up and be ok.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair I wasn't going to take my pole but it was a last minute decision, and the rest followed :D

My roller bag is the biggest culprit - two rollers, top kit holders, roosts, sock, front rest, mini-roller, spare box leg (?), riddle, feeder arm and a couple of heads - take the pole stuff out, the 'just in cases', and the rest would fit in a carrier bag :)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It’s quite nice when I go to Clattercote or Boddys with a day on the rods -trolley , box, side tray, carryall, bait bag, landing net, ready rod bag(quad) ...........,No rollers,roosts, pole hold-all,topkit case, jumbo net bag, etc.....not such a squash in the car either

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
My last roach fishing trip consisted of:

Watercraft seat box, containing - 1 wooden reel, box of about 10 floats, 1 pint of hemp, box of B611 No 14 hooks. assorted box of styls. Disgorgers, knot pickers in trays.
Net bag containing 1 towel, 2 landing nets, 1 side tray, 1 flask.
Carried in hand - 1 Milwards 11' Floatrover, 1 landing net handle, 1 umbrella.

Thank that was it. 1 trip - approximate walk from car - 20 yards

Fish about 10-15lb of roach.

Total

Site Supporter

You need a level box, footplate, sidetray, rollers, roosts, rigs, windsock/tulip etc and it soon adds up.
'Tin hat' or not, the pole is the main culprit and responsible for all the extra bits (rollers, tulips etc etc)......(y)

It's one of them and a trade off has to be compromised.....Hence these days, unless I'm on a snake type lake or I know the match will be won in the margins on the pole, I'll fish a running line wherever possible.....My results don't seem to have suffered....

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
It's the 80/20 rule. Only use 20% of the tackle we take. I'm writing a blog on it as we speak.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter

It's a fair comment mate, on the rare occasions I have fished the Trent, two rods in holdall, small compact Octbox seatbox (no footplate) bait is in bait tubs in the side tray that sits underneath the seatbox, small rucksack for reels / bait / food & flask, job done. When I compare it to the kit I take for pole fishing. :eek:

Dave have you thought about taking an inventory of what kit you take and everytime you fish with the pole, tick off what you actually use as against what you take, but haven't used all year.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It's a fair comment mate, on the rare occasions I have fished the Trent, two rods in holdall, small compact Octbox seatbox (no footplate) bait is in bait tubs in the side tray that sits underneath the seatbox, small rucksack for reels / bait / food & flask, job done. When I compare it to the kit I take for pole fishing. :eek:

Dave have you thought about taking an inventory of what kit you take and everytime you fish with the pole, tick off what you actually use as against what you take, but haven't used all year.
Taking an inventory?? And ticking it off?? What’s the point , just another way to overthink things , take all the gear, and struggle on 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Total

Site Supporter
It's the 80/20 rule. Only use 20% of the tackle we take. I'm writing a blog on it as we speak.
^^...Nothing to do with it.....:p:ROFLMAO:......I only ever take the tackle I need.....Unless it's a new venue to me, and then I take the lot even after doing my 'homework'.....

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
^^...Nothing to do with it.....:p:ROFLMAO:......I only ever take the tackle I need.....Unless it's a new venue to me, and then I take the lot even after doing my 'homework'.....
If you have 100 floats in your box, do you use them all or maybe about 20 of them regularly?

stephenk

Site Supporter
Tied about 50 rigs last couple of weeks - and I know that I'll reach for the same one every session !