Concessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjroberts31

Should the Disabled get Concessions?

I personally don't think that we should, we use the same tackle and the same water to fish.[?][?][}:)][}:)]

PJR31.... wave.gif

Robbo

Define concessions.Do you mean licence concessions or club membership concessions? If you mean licence concessions, then yes, as with other anglers on low income, ie people who receive income support or other benefits who are also eligible for concessions, disabled anglers may not always be able to afford the cost of a full licence.
As for club concessions I would have to say yes again. Usual a "disabled club" is part of an ablebodied club.Not all waters maybe accessible thereby reducing areas a disabled angler could fish.I realise not all disabled anglers are wheelchair bound, which sometimes makes it impossible to reach swims without assistance, but some anglers through illness not necessarily physical ie angina cannot always walk distances carrying heavy gear.
So yes on the whole I think concessions should be allowed, but they should be well policed so that the right people are benefiting

pjroberts31

Disabled

physical incapacity caused by injury or disease

PJR31....

pjroberts31

Robbo

I should be agreeing with you all the way, but I'm one of these people who is on benefits and I can still find the money.

The orange/blue badge scheme is prove enough that it can not be policed

PJR31....

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Before any body has a go at me, I will always assist anglers who have difficulty getting to a fishery or swim.

Concessions. I'm not sure I agree with all disabled people getting concessions. I know a few registered disabled people who actually earn a lot more than me. Don't I deserve a concession?

If a persons disability prevents them working then give them concessions, but if they are in full time employment no.

One chap told me last year he wasn't a disabled angler, he was just an angler in a wheelchair, and to stop looking at the wheelchair and look to the person.

As to any anglers on low income, I am sorry if they can afford the tackle they can afford a licence and fishing at full price.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

MALC

As regulars will know i'm not disabled but help with The Rugby Disabled Anglers and have also assisted Dirk (who's still recovering from his operation).

So i tend to see a few disabled anglers on a weekly basis.

quote:Originally posted by Robbo

Usual a "disabled club" is part of an ablebodied club.
Must disagree with the above Robbo over the years i've been amember of about 30 different clubs and not one has had a Disabled Section.

Regards the consession point it's a minefield as Geoff has said i also know Disabled Anglers that are in full time employment and take home more than me and in no way does their disability impare on their angling ability or access to waters.
BUT
I also know Disabled anglers that get next to no help financialy and find getting around a major task.

Also once a Disabled angler reaches retirment age they as anglers are no longer classed as dissabled [?] how can that be [?][?]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Robbo

There are exceptions to every rule, and of course there are many disabled anglers in full time employment, earning a good living who could afford to pay full fees for their licence or their fishing.But to stop concessions would mean that some anglers whether disabled or on low incomes would suffer.As with any "something for nothing" schemes there are always going to be sceptics and people who abuse the system, the orange badge scheme being a prime example.But stopping concessionary help across the board would be very unfair.There is never going to be an easy way of weeding out the true cases for help so perhaps it is down to anindividuals consciences.
Malc please give my best wishes to Dirk,hope he is on the mend.
Robbo

waxlion1

quote:physical incapacity caused by injury or disease

Its not just people with physical disabilities that we should think about, there is also the mental state of mind.

Mentally and physically disabled, where do you categorise people in this unfortunate position?

They have as much right to fish as anyone else.

Waxlion1

dirk

Site Supporter
Who would like to swap Their good leg for my polio leg no muscles I'm afraid but it comes complete with caliper very comfortable Honestly! and wait for it for one night only I will throw in my concessionary rod licence.
If a Disabled person is working they do not get a concessionary rod licence, only people on certain benefits receive one.
How can you expect me to fish 4 times a week without financial help towards the cost, answer me that?
I would have to cut it down to 3 at least and YES! I am taking the P-ss what a stupid topic.

MALC

Hi Dirky,

Glad to see your still around [;)][;)]

See you Wednesday

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dirk I wouldn't like to swap or be in your situation. Then again I wouldn't like to think that a thread you started I would call stupid.

Just because you have a different opinion doesn't make any other persons thoughts wrong.

I acknowledge that I am lucky to be able bodied, and have a fairly active brain but unfortunately several of the able bodied have found a good scam and claim disability because it beats working. I have a cousin who drives to the bank to get his disability then parks his car to run into the town centre and plays snooker all day. he has a bad back!!

Another claimant is a woman who claims she has bad joints, walks to the doctors and the benefits office with a crutch and then goes to a disco in the evenings.

Obviously these kind of people could make some people sceptical about the whole system, especially when my partner is on steroids for her asthma which is causing arthritus in her joints, and most days has a hard time walking 50 yards, and she cannot claim disablity. But that is getting away from the point.

If a persons disability prevents them from working then by all means let them claim concessions, both licence and tickets, but if the person is in full time employment then make them pay. They should be no different to me, and most of the disabled people I meet would hate being treated different to an able bodied person.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

norm

here here geoff 100%

there are people at our place that get all the benefits and on the same wages as me also

so why the hell should i pay more than them to fish

dont get my wrong my heart goes out to there problems----but they are are on more money than me

so why should they get fishing cheaper than me

waxy

me malc geoff ect prob agree with you 100% (sos for speaking for you 2)

but i bet them people or not on 25000 plus which is a lot more than me

and before any one starts
full time wages plus all the benefits will prob be even more than that

if the disabled can not work then i agree 100% they should get help
but when them disabled are working and getting the same wages as me plus all the benefits then i am sorry but no bloody way

(this is my opinion and i am entitled to it)

dirk

Site Supporter
PJ's Topic says should the disabled get concessions?
The financial side of the equation has already been eliminated, as you will read below. That just leaves the morality side of the argument: Are the disabled worth caring for, and encouraging to take up the sport of Angling YES!!! Definitely. I know what a difference the sport has made to my life. You cannot compare the small minority that is trying to defraud society, with those that truly need our help. I would ask you to go into any Disabled school around the country, look at those children, and tell me that you would not want some kind of financial pathway set up, for them to experience and go on experiencing the joys of angling into adolescence?

Unemployed do not get concessions nor do people only claiming DLA unless they claim both DLA and Incapacity benefit despite their level of disability.
If they are not claiming the below benefits then that person disabled or not is breaking the law and defrauding the system as it stands.
Sever disability allowance no longer exists and only those still in receipt from a previous claim will be able to get a concession under this rule.
DLA - Carers - Severe disability - mobility - attendance etc are NOT included in the criteria.
Only those basically in receipt of incapacity benefit.
=======================================================================
EA web site information
Who qualifies for a concessionary licence?
You are eligible for a concessionary licence if:
1. You are aged 12 to 16 inclusive. (Junior)
2. You are aged 65 years or over. (Senior)
3. You receive: (Eligible disabled)
a) Long-term incapacity benefit
b) Short-term incapacity benefit (at the higher rate)
c) Severe disablement allowance
d) A war pension which includes unemployability supplement
Eligible disabled anglers will need to provide one of the following:
1. Current order book showing receipt of the appropriate benefit
2. A Giro payment slip showing receipt of the appropriate benefit
3. Last year's rod licence (2002/03) showing disabled concession plus an additional proof of identity
4. A letter from the War Pension Directorate confirming eligibility

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
I have to agree with Dirk, I know what a differance fishing has made to my life in the last 2 years all thanks to someone I met on the net, before that I was almost a recluse, due to the amount of pain I suffer mixed with the medication I have to take. I now have a life outside my house

I dont think people understand that you have to be on certain benefits to get a concesionary licence, if you work full time you would not be on the benefits, without the licence you dont qualify for discounts from clubs etc, at least thats how I understand the rules.

If anyone thinks that anyone is getting a concesions they are not intitled to dont moan about it, report them.

Dai Fish
Be nice to your kids because its them that pick your nursing home!

Big Brian

I think the EA have it right...the reduction in fees is done in the only fair way by giving it to anyone on certain benefits regardless of any other money coming in.
the fisheries give a discount to disabled but how many swims are accesible... I know of one fishery that won@t give a discount as some have gone there stating they were disabled and then carry all their gear to the furthest peg. some give the majority a bad name!!
A club in the Manchester area has just done away with disabled membership as they can't afford 68,000 to provide sutable pegs for their 400+ disabled members. those under 65 willchange to full membership at twice what they paid before yet the club admit to not having suitable pegs for them to fish from.
if all clubs were like that where would the disabled go?

Men and Fish are both in trouble when they open their mouths!!!

Digger Barnes

' Digger'
Hi all,This is my personal view
I am 49 years old , i have had one hip replaced eight times over the years,discs removed in my lower back,I had a heart attack 10 years ago that left me with angina and severe ashma, i have arthritis in my neck,wrists fingers plus several other places, and now to top it all i have just been told that i may need my left hip replaced , i think this qualifies me as being disabled.
I get incapacity benefit at the higher rate and out of this i have to keep myself my wife and four kids, i pay morgage,council tax (full rate)gas ,electric,food. after this if i am lucky i get to go fishing once a week,the majority of my fishing tackle comes from car boots,a lot i was kindely gived by friends and family,my carp setup is a 49 setup out of argos,my pole is a cabolino rio that i had to pay a fortune for becouse the only way i could afford it was to get it out of a club,i am down to my last top three becouse i cant afford to replace it, i dont buy in bulk or but thing two or three at a time, i buy things as and when i need them if i can afford then.
I only started fishing six years ago,but what a difference it has made to my life.
So back to the topic in question yes i do think that disabled people should get connsessions,if i didnt then i would probably only go fishing once a month,now woudent that be a sin.
god bless and tight lines

alan edmonds

dirk..good posting..really good
too many people chip into these little arguments with views that they are well entitled too, but , with little knowledge on the specific subject, I do still respect their views and feel that this makes for good debate, but I also recognise the need to look relistically at each and every issue to the benefit of all..THAT IS WHY I APPLAUD..your entry on this issue ..
''equality at any cost'' Malcolm X

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.