computer help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Lazarus
can any of you computer buff's tell me how many of the running process i actually need to keep computer runningin the background only when my adware starts up it says 24 running processes surely you need all these processes running in the background if not how do i delete them to get back to just what's needed.

Cheer's Larry

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
What OS are you using. Win98,ME, win2000 or XP this info is required to answer the question.

chill out go fishing

doughnut

Alright Larry,

Are you talking about programs running in the background?
If so you definately don't need 24 running but it depends what you have installed, virus checkers, firewalls and so on.

Are you talking about programs?

C'ya, Robin.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
If memory serves me right there is only 2 items required in start up one being sys tray sorry cant remember the other. If you have A-V running, fire wall, pop up stopper etc then all these need to be in start up. When I run ad ware I normally have 15 pro. running to, but thats with xp. 98 does run several back groung proc. thats what makes it comparatively slow.

chill out go fishing

doughnut

Alright esox,

I'm still happy with 98 so I still use it, I've got firewalls, antivirus and god knows what else going but it still doesn't come to anywhere near 24 background programs...

Larry, press alt/ctrl & delete... when the close program box comes up count how many programs you see.

C'ya, Robin.

AndyA

esox.20 is on the right lines, you also need to have explorer.exe running.

Larry

Lazarus
hi there esox&andy theres 11 programmes on the list ,but just chaked adwar &it says thers 21 running process'.so when i click on altctl &del i can see theres programmes there that i dont need to start aT boot up so if i cancel it may help with speed.

Cheer's Larry

AndyA

Hi Larry, check the icons showing next to clock in the bottom right hand corner of your screen, right click on each of them to get info on what they do ... if you don't think you need them then go into "control panel" - "add-remove" what you don't require... keep your anti virus software & also your firewall software if installed.

Have you tried "de-fragmenting" your hard drive ?, that should help your speed.... also consider installing more ram memory.

Larry

Lazarus
Thank,s for he info ,i;ll do what you suggested &try again,i don't think i nee morw ram memory iv'e got a 30 gig harddrive &i'm only using about 3,3 gigs at present

Cheer's Larry

AndyA

Your hard drive is storage for programs, files etc and you do seem to plenty to spare, the memory I'm refering to is ram which is "thinking" memory ... the more the better usually.

You will be able to see how much is installed by selecting "Control Panel" and then "System", that should give you basic info on what's installed.

cheers

doughnut

Alright Larry,

A quicker way to check what memory you have is to right click on My Computer on your desktop, then click on Properties at the bottom of the menu that will appear and at the bottom you'll how much ram you have......

For win 98 you want to be running 128mb's any less just isn't enough and you won't need any more unless your doing any heavy graphical work, also if your running IE5.5 or higher I can send you a nice little script to clear your memory once windows has loaded... it can help at times!

On last tip mate:
You need at around 64mb's of memory to make this worth while.
Right click on "My Computer",
then choose properties from the menu,
then click on the "Performance" tab,
then click on the "File System" button,

once in there you will see something that sais "typical role of this computer" next that there is a pull down menu, change the setting to "Network Server", click apply then ok, restart your computer when asked..... this will help speed your computer up!

Hope all this helps mate!

C'ya, Robin.

Edited by - doughnut on 26 August 2002 12:37:40 PM

Larry

Lazarus
doughtnut,i have 128 of ram &iv'e just done what you said ,page's are now loding quicker than ever hardly ant time dwell when i click on new part oF A website thank's for YOUR help &also Esox & Andy for there help as well

Cheer's Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.