Compare and contrast!!!!!!!!!

Simon R

Site Supporter
Never ever even entered an Angling Direct store - purely due to location rather than a dislike of the brand - to the best of my knowledge there isn't one this side of Leeds (55 miles to the Leeds branch) and if I was gonna drive that far I might as well just go to BobCo.

I visited Fishing Republic in their old store in Sunderland a couple of times whilst passing and wasn't hugely impressed - I'm not a fan of selling floats and feeders in individual plastic bags for a start and, although the bivvy display was impressive, there didn't seem to be a huge amount of choice when it came to match fishing.

I'm going to visit the new Fishing Republic concession within the local Go Outdoors store but I wasn't aware that it was fully open yet - I got a flyer through the post announcing they were closing down (and in the usual little letters underneath 'for refurbishment') but haven't had anything announcing a grand reopening or anything similar.
At least they do have a dedicated fishing department manager who is a fisherman (and a mate of mine ;) ) which is something they never had when it was purely a Go Outdoors store - any sort of query would be met with blank looks and a confused expression.

Simon

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Used to use the fishing republic store in sheffield but stock levels was always poor friendly staff not been since they moved to go outdoors site

AdamRussell93

I might try that Angling Direct in Darfield. I've always favoured my local independent shop but more often than not now they never seem to stock what I want when I go in. It's all well and good supporting your local, but not when it comes to having to buy things you didn't want.
That ones okay but the best one I’ve found personally is the independent tackle shop in Doncaster just off Wheatley hall road 👍🏻

tincatim

Site Supporter
That ones okay but the best one I’ve found personally is the independent tackle shop in Doncaster just off Wheatley hall road 👍🏻
I didn’t know there was one there. I’ve got to pick something up from Argos over there this week, I’ll have a look for it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The closest AD and FR to me are in MK so I don’t go that often (there’s a good handful of independent tackle shops closer to me) but the AD is miles ahead of FR in terms of stock and how it’s presented. FR is possibly slightly better now it’s in go outdoors rather than its old unit which it never had stock to fill but it’s still not get much stuff compared to AD. Still think AD is poor for stock compared to the likes of Bobco and benwicks though so I use them mostly for online purchases.

tincatim

Site Supporter
It’s just before the Audi and Toyota garage, turn left before there. It’s the old fishing republic I think
Found it, it’s literally called Independent Fishing. I thought you meant that it was just some small independent shop 🤣
It looks massive tbf, a proper wallet wrecker!

AdamRussell93

Found it, it’s literally called Independent Fishing. I thought you meant that it was just some small independent shop 🤣
It looks massive tbf, a proper wallet wrecker!
Oh aye it’s massive, like I say I’m sure it’s the old fishing republic. Many a argument have been had with missus over my spending there 😂

Chitterlings & Hodge

Yesterday afternoon I found myself at a bit of a loose end after a bit of lunch so decided so decided to jump into the car and pay a visit to a couple of my local Fishing Emporiums.

First off it was into the local Fishing Republic and in all honesty it was a bit of a sad sight. :( In short it looked like someone had set a bomb of in there.
It's been noticeable in the last couple of months that there were big gaps where an awful lot of stock would normally be, but it had been compounded in this instance as an edict had come down from head office for the whole shop to be completely re-merchandised. No small task given the size of the shop and the fact there were only 2 staff to do it. Shelving and displays to be moved/relocated, boxes full of stock strewn around and all the while customers trying to shop.
In all honesty I would expect a company of the size of the Fishing Republic/Go Outdoors group to have a dedicated Merchandising Team to go into shops to handle it but obviously not.
As an aside the Fishing Republic points cards are no more, being replaced by the Go Outdoors Discount Card that can now be used in Fishing Republic but not on all items, evidently it's not applicable on Guru and Matrix items and probably more though I didn't ask.

Next stop, Angling Direct which has taken over the old Fishing Republic site in Darfield.
The contrast was noticeable, very tidy and shelves and displays that appeared to be fully stocked, to the extent that there were items on display that if you believe posts on social media and various angling forums are rarer than hens teeth to find at this moment in time, a case in point being the Cresta and Guru Hard cases on display. :upthumb: I even managed to get all the Guru hooks and line that I needed to top up my stock for my next tying session.

I can only assume that the difference in stock levels is a reflection of the buying power of Angling Direct and a proactive approach to ordering stock in these Covid affected times, whatever it's due to it's very noticeable in these 2 very similar stores that are less than a couple of miles apart.
Have to agree I was in the Fishing Republic near Portway just outside Birmingham this weekend never been there before but it was a disappointing from a stocking point of view. From there went to AD in Moor Lane Birmingham (The old Fosters) as it's local to my folks house and there was a vast difference.

TiggerXFM

Have to agree I was in the Fishing Republic near Portway just outside Birmingham this weekend never been there before but it was a disappointing from a stocking point of view. From there went to AD in Moor Lane Birmingham (The old Fosters) as it's local to my folks house and there was a vast difference.
A long way from me but I had a few visits to fosters and thought it was a great shop.
They had hoards of tackle on display and we always had a laugh with the staff, we took the pi$$ out of their accents and they ours lol.
Shame it was hoovered up by another chain store!

DFL

Site Supporter
Having seen it on Gone Fishing last Sunday evening, I want to meet Mrs Shinn.

52CAEC69-80B4-4431-8064-D719C18729F6.jpeg