Compact and Lightweight Chairs

• Thread starter Deleted member 24128
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24128

Hello all. I'm new here and could use some input if you would be so kind.

Last year I started fishing again after a 24+ year hiatus which started because some swine stole all my tackle. Of course, I never really got over this particular act of rottenness but after nearly a quarter of a century I could resist the urge no longer and I have been steadily building my tackle up once again and have been enjoying doing so. This little adventure has seen me at quite a few commercial fisheries (which I really don't remember being a thing back then), ponds and lakes and I have a chair that is fitting to these venues. That is to say that it's portable but only in the sense that it folds reasonably flat enough to carry to the car and then from car to peg without too much back breaking. However, I'm finding the most pleasure stalking up and down my local canal revisiting the places of my youth. And this style of fishing is really appealing to me in general and can see myself doing this on all manner of waters. Obviously, the key to this is being mobile and this brings me to my problem. When I was a teenager I really didn't mind parking my arse on the muddy bank and sitting there for hours but now, and with an iffy back and Nobby Stiles, this is simply not an option. I need something to sit on that is comfortable and compact and by compact I mean it must collapse to a tube shape that could fit inside a rod bag or even its own bag with a strap or something. It also must be light because I can walk miles with it. I may walk up to 8-10 miles with it some days and here is the tricky part it must be strong. I'm 6'1" and the best part of 18 stone. I need it to meet these requirements because I must also carry my small tackle bag with my lunch, baits and other odds and sods that are necessary. I don't take my rod bag but I do have a rod and reel made up and ready to go in its case and I also have to carry my landing net and pole. All of this gear is very compact and absolutely no trouble on such trips but adding the chair means I have to be very careful with the size, weight and ease of carrying.

I'm finding it very hard finding anything that meets these requirements and when I do find something that looks like what I am looking for it looks far to flimsy and small for a chap of my size. Of course, on the web it's tricky to get a real sense of build quality, size and strength.

So, I turn to you fine folk for any recommendations at all. Do you own or have seen anything like what I require and if you could point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Neskin

Hello mate! Welcome to the forum!

I do a lot of roving and have got sick to death of having to lug about a chair with me, now i just cotch up on an unhooking mat (its ALWAYS dry anyway!)

I have used the Korum roving chair and ruckbag, still do use it if i know I'm going to be camped at swims for a few hours. Its pretty sturdy and attaches to the ruckbag quickly. Have you had a look at them?

D

Deleted member 24128

Thanks for the welcome.

I have used the Korum roving chair and ruckbag, still do use it if i know I'm going to be camped at swims for a few hours. Its pretty sturdy and attaches to the ruckbag quickly. Have you had a look at them?

Now that looks like a decent idea. I have not seen it before and will certainly consider it. How much can you extend the shoulder straps? I'm a big man and it looks quite tight. Even more so if one has a winter coat on.

Neskin

Thanks for the welcome.

Now that looks like a decent idea. I have not seen it before and will certainly consider it. How much can you extend the shoulder straps? I'm a big man and it looks quite tight. Even more so if one has a winter coat on.

You can extend them quite a bit, best thing to do would be to bowl down your local shop and have a look.

You can also get net and chair bags that they fit into that you can sling over your shoulder. That way you can choose a different chair as i think they either do the all singing all dancing accessory chair and also a ultra light one.

Thats the latest roving kit, I've got the older model (i think the chair is a bit heavier) Does the job!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
if yer a big lad and are worried about the straps... bear in mind that they are adjustable and if they are still too tight you could pop along to B&Q and pick up some of these
to lengthen the straps (which is what I did as I'm a big lad meself)

D

Deleted member 24128

Cheers guys. I have had a ponder and think this may be the way to go. I'm still open to suggestions though as I won't be buying until I'm back from my holiday but at present, this looks like the best option.

if yer a big lad and are worried about the straps... bear in mind that they are adjustable and if they are still too tight you could pop along to B&Q and pick up some of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-zinc-plated-steel-snap-hook/1520592_BQ.prd?ds_kids=92700029894068710&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIroXBisnF4gIVipTtCh318wCCEAQYASABEgJrFvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
to lengthen the straps (which is what I did as I'm a big lad meself)

Good idea and I already have some;)

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Welcome Oll
I'm no expert but seeing you're a big fella, I'd be heading for a shop that stocks a lot of fishing\carp chairs so that you get the right chair for you.
I'd probably lean toward the good brands Korum, Fox, Nash etc. so that build quality is not compromised.
There are also unbelievable bargains to be had on eBay too.
I just picked up this hardly used Korum Supa Lite Chair (The model before the current Aeronium) (3kg weight) for £38!
Just type in ''Used fishing chairs'' in eBay to view plenty of options.
The Supa Lite Chair is in this video:
Hope this helps.
Regards,
John

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I only started watching it for a look of the chair and watched the whole thing. Great little video. I wish that channel had more.
It's a great video. Put together brilliantly by George Burton and a mate of his I believe.
He has a blog as well:
Canals are very under rated by people I think. I'll crack that 1lb 14oz canal roach PB some day...........
Unbelievable fishing video resource YouTube. Just use the search engine to find what you want.
River Trotting, John Wilson, Alan Scotthorne, Ian Heaps, Product reviews, it's endless.............

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Croesno Nol fellow Taff !
If you're looking for something light for the canal then look at the

2173-2500-file_6721.jpg
Shakespeare Folding Stool with Back Pack
£19.99 delivered from Angling Direct

I'm of similar dimensions to you and it holds up my wobbly ass. There is also a deluxe version out there with a backrest and your other kit can go in the backpack.
If you're going down the chair route then take a look at the JRC Stealth X lite chair ( not the recliner or x lo models ) which has individually adjusting legs

zwi4tJQizth9d4QfKGHKYD2nO60r_rIPFI3xJBzjD&usqp=CAc.jpg