Commercials, Why It Upsets Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Anyone who fished t'owd Duck Ponds, in Nottingham (NAA), in the 70's may remember that on pond 1 there was a peg reserved for 'disabled' anglers. It was a wonky slab of concrete with a bar concreted in to prevent a wheelchair rolling in. This was an improvement on most of the other ponds and lakes as they didn't cater for our less abled colleagues at all. The advent of the commercial fishery has given a lifeline to many people to continue to enjoy their sport.

spc123

I’m a novice with a young lad.

faced with a choice of a wild canal/river where I have no idea what is in there or how to catch it or a commercial with toilets, bait and guaranteed bites it is a simple decision

I would also suggest that if my lad continues to develop an interest in the sport and go off with his mates rather than his old man he would be safer and better off at a commercial than sitting round a park lake or by a canal

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’m a boatbuilder by trade. I build fibreglass boats. Gin palaces. Well, used to when we had a boatbuilding industry😉
But. That ain’t proper boatbuilding though. They’re plastic and everybody knows that “proper” boatbuilders only use wood. Heard it many times at marinas and shows. I dont take it personally. It’s not worth it.
As an aside. When fishing is “hard” it means it’s very difficult to catch anything at all. Not, “I sat there for Carp all day and struggled“ without considering other species.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Anyone who fished t'owd Duck Ponds, in Nottingham (NAA), in the 70's may remember that on pond 1 there was a peg reserved for 'disabled' anglers. It was a wonky slab of concrete with a bar concreted in to prevent a wheelchair rolling in. This was an improvement on most of the other ponds and lakes as they didn't cater for our less abled colleagues at all. The advent of the commercial fishery has given a lifeline to many people to continue to enjoy their sport.
Good point, I visit a holiday park near Blackpool called Newton Hall through some form of family ownership on the site...

Anyway, they’ve got a small pond on site which is quite nicely maintained and stocked with all sorts including a few doubles and a few nice dark wild carp (apparently) - the pegs are the usual but they’ve built a big wooden pier for wheelchair users it’s really nice and spacious, seen it being used a couple of times too.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m a novice with a young lad.

faced with a choice of a wild canal/river where I have no idea what is in there or how to catch it or a commercial with toilets, bait and guaranteed bites it is a simple decision
And that perfectly sums up what @RedRidingHood said on the other thread. Coming from a standing start most commercials offer an easier option than some rivers. He clearly didn't mean anything more by it than that.

@spc123 don't right off rivers as difficult though, lots of rivers seem as full of fish as they have probably ever been at the moment, at least if they used to be better they must have been incredibly good!

@smiffy thats interesting to hear of another on here in the marine industry 👍🏻

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I can guarantee that if I fish a commercial I will catch more fish by weight than if I fish the river, so in my opinion they are easier.
I love commercials, don't fish them anymore but they serve a purpose be it match fishing or getting youngsters into fishing where they will catch.
I was happy catching Gudgeon on the local cut when I was kid but those were different times.
Also prefer the wilderness than what is sometimes just a hole in the ground for want of a better description.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Good point, I visit a holiday park near Blackpool called Newton Hall through some form of family ownership on the site...

Anyway, they’ve got a small pond on site which is quite nicely maintained and stocked with all sorts including a few doubles and a few nice dark wild carp (apparently) - the pegs are the usual but they’ve built a big wooden pier for wheelchair users it’s really nice and spacious, seen it being used a couple of times too.
I lived around the corner from there as a youngster and fished it regularly. I even worked and called Bingo in the amusement arcade that was there.
Nice 25 peg snake lake that is full of fish, opposite the camp belonging to Hardhorn Anglers. Get permits from angling shop in Poulton. It's great when quiet, unfortunately in the summer it is packed.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
First let me apologise. I had not intended for this thread to become a long running debate. It was intended, as I have said, to explain my (over?) reaction to a post that used, what I took to be a derogatory phrase to describe commercial fisheries. Even if intended to describe some commercials it was still upsetting that the writer chose to use the language they did.

Many times on this forum some members have used various phrases to describe commercials and the fish that are generally stocked in them that convey their contempt and disdain. My post was an explanation of my reaction and a plea for this name calling to stop, nothing more.

@Dave I would prefer it if this thread were locked and consigned to history.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Commies have their place... but in my experience (locally anyway) are scruffy, poorly run holes in the ground with litter and carp with damaged mouths and... Don't get me wrong... I fish for carp and enjoy doing so... what boils my ssip is having to go to a fishery knowing that sooner or later carp are going to move in and ruin a pleasant days roach or bream fishing... which is why I now eschew commercials in favour of club waters where the proportion of carp per acre is far fewer than a commercial... and the financial side is also a factor... why pay a tenner a pop to a cub match on a commie 10 times a year when you're paying £90 a year in subs ... I'll stay off the commie circuit until I can't lug me gear over 2 meadows any more... till then I'm happy to stay away

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
First let me apologise. I had not intended for this thread to become a long running debate. It was intended, as I have said, to explain my (over?) reaction to a post that used, what I took to be a derogatory phrase to describe commercial fisheries. Even if intended to describe some commercials it was still upsetting that the writer chose to use the language they did.

Many times on this forum some members have used various phrases to describe commercials and the fish that are generally stocked in them that convey their contempt and disdain. My post was an explanation of my reaction and a plea for this name calling to stop, nothing more.

@Dave I would prefer it if this thread were locked and consigned to history.
No need to apologise mate, the whole point of a forum is to create discussion and your post, inadvertently or not, certainly did that👍👍👍

Status
Not open for further replies.