Commercials, Why It Upsets Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayD

John I am 54 and probably not that far away from you in years..
If you are going to quote "rose tinted glasses" then in your harking back to the past you have done exactly that

Fishing now is not about what has gone before but what we can do now to ensure we sustain and if possible grow the sport.
You are seeing everything from your perspective and have not given any consideration to what those coming into the sport want.
They might not want the same as you and have the struggles most of us endured in the past..
They want something that they can enjoy from the very start and with that if they so choose broaden their experience..

And yes I did mention age because in physical years we are probably close but in the realisation of what those coming into fishing need and want we are decades apart.

Your 16 years out Lee, I turned 70 earlier this year, so your still a young'un, by comparison.

Of course I'm posting from my perspective, and experience Lee, I said as much in my opening post on this thread. I said to Neil that as he had explained why he likes these fisheries, and why he fishes them, I would explain why I don't. I've also said I can see a place for the commercial type fisheries, but they're not for me, and that commercials per se are not a problem for me, it's the knock on effect that has impacted on my, and other, (often younger than me), anglers choices. I don't intend or expect my words to influence anyone, or change their habits, other than maybe make some think a little more about angling and it's impact on the environment. If you consider that as exclusive to those of us 'of a certain age' then I would hope that you are wrong, or I fear for the future of angling.
Not all changes are positive, or have a long term positive outcome.

John.

Silver fan 82

I don't recall seeing any derogatory comments re commercials, not enough to get upset about.

In fact I'd go as far to say that the majority of members and visitors fish commercials more than natural waters

Hands up if you fish Commericials... (y)
Not fished a commercial for some years myself. Reason being I had a break of around 8 seasons from fishing. Met the wife, moved house, got married and had kids so I guess "life happened" as they say. I used to fish commercials religiously every weekend as a pleasure angler and can honestly say I had some of my best sessions on commercials. And no, not every session was easy.
Since joining a club I've steered away from commercials because all of my club waters are really local to me and I get what I want from my fishing at the club waters. However I wouldn't disregard commercials and am actually thinking of having a session on one of my old haunts that I used to fish.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I watched a video not long ago of Jamie Hughes on Partridge fishing with just a hook / no bait.
That's hard to defend.
Defend what?
No he didn't have bait on the hook or hair. He was using a method feeder and making the point that the fish will just suck up the pellet or groundbait the hook is buried in.

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

Fishing would be on its backside without the introduction of commercials Neil. It’s kept the industry ticking over and introduced a few new lads and lasses into the sport. If we only had natural venues ..... oh, it doesn’t bare thinking about. And this comes from an angler who is predominantly a natural venue angler. Long live commercials. 👍
To be fair Mick if I didn't fish commies in the past I don't know if I would have taken the sport up?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter

Yes mate. I've no reason to lie - Though within about a 25 Mile radius I have a serious range of commercials I can cherry pick to fish based on weather conditions, how much and what methods I want to use. Most of those commercials offering at least 3 or 4 stocked ponds.

80Lb in fish isn't a serious amount of fish when you fish from 6:30-7 latest till upwards of 7-8pm. Like I said, It's not often I go so when I do it's an ALL DAY thing whereas a lot of people only start getting set up at 9-10 am and finish by 5. Thats a minimum amount of 7lb of fish per hour, not hard to achieve. That's generally a low estimate though.

Edit; Just want to point out this all during pleasure sessions. Not during matches where every peg has been taken by anglers and the water is being fished hard.

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

Neil, Well said.I am no lover of commercials. I look at it as playing football on grass or synthetic pitches.
But I am of the age that needs to adapt to the inevitable of getting too and from where you are fishing.
I will have to fish more and more commercials, I will have to fish the Pole more as part of this adaption.
BUT, you can do research and find YOUR adaption to this. It does not have to be ALL CARP. Yes matches do revolve around weight and bigger lumps win more prises.
We as a body have to press owners of fisheries, clubs and opens to also adapt to serving up what some of us want and need to give a variety in our pastime. More Silvers and more Silvers only matches. NO CARP to count at all. This in turn could lead to silvers only lakes to accommodate this.
There would always be Carp Match Lakes, as there are Carp Specimen Lakes. Why do Snake / Canal lakes hold Carp in numbers. Thought they were an artificial Canal and its fishing tactic and species. What is this explosion of Barbel in commercials are they the NEW CARP on the block ! Or is it just a pander to peoples wishes. Like news papers they feed us what they think we want and tell us that it IS what we asked for.
Are my rose coloured specs' over reacting to all this, an age thing maybe.
In todays uncertainty and to protect the future of Angling, safety, accessibility ,variety and amenities have to be looked into.
We are I am afraid in all an older demographic . So, be safe, enjoy whatever dips your float and don't be frightened of change especially if you can influence this for better variety to please more people.
Commercials are a business at the end of the day so alot stock the fish that the majority want to catch whether it's carp, barbel or even catfish.
Maybe it's a sign of the times but most people want to catch big fish? Whether that's as a pleasure angler or in a match to build weight? So the commercials fulfill the customer's wishes just like any successful business does.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"but most people want to catch big fish"
Not just big fish, just fish

What people forget is in the dark ages you only usually saw photos of fish or big nets and when you did you thought the anglers were a bit special,
Now in the age of social media everyone can see what can be achieved and how to achieve it.
I see the Barbel pictures from the Trent lads on here and it motivates me to go out and do something about my own poor returns this season.
Yes the mystery has gone somewhat but at least now I can try to live the experience for myself.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Defend what?
No he didn't have bait on the hook or hair. He was using a method feeder and making the point that the fish will just suck up the pellet or groundbait the hook is buried in.

No, you're talking about something else.
I'm referring to a species challenge he did with Andy May, and he was literally fishing on the pole with no hook bait.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Imagine catching even 20lb on commercial on your first day of fishing... you'll be like "right I've done fishing, what's next? cycling...? rock climbing...?" having learnt and understood next to nothing about the sport.
From what I see, that’s exactly where many of the ‘instant’ carpers start, they have never fished as many of us started and were delighted to see a small Perch or Rudd snaffle the maggot. They start off as carpers, not having learnt watercraft, respect for other species and a general understanding of angling etiquette. Undoubtedly some go onto understand and become valuable members of the angling fraternity, whereas others go down the smoking weed, drinking Stella and being bloody nuisances on the bank route.

As for commercials, I fish them, I really don’t give a toss what anyone thinks, personally, I don’t like snake lakes and small ponds, prefer places like Barston, Viaduct, Larford Speci lake etc. Perhaps we are lucky in the SW as many of our commercials aren’t holes in the ground, take Viaduct and Stafford Moor for starters,.....

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I met up with regular member @keith , and a couple of his pals , at the prolific Tunnel barn farm, and I think I can safely say, although we all caught steady, it was far from easy, and at times was a struggle!!!!Now I know, High pool , where we fished is absolutely stuffed with fish, but with the colder weather, wind, rain etc, the fish don’t always play ball

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
No, you're talking about something else.
I'm referring to a species challenge he did with Andy May, and he was literally fishing on the pole with no hook bait.

Theres a commercial just down the road from me that was stocked with F1's and Goldfish about 12 years ago.... Everglades is the name of the fishery.
We were fishing matches there, kids matches, I was about 12-13 at the time and we'd figured out putting bait on your hook was a waste of time. We'd have our parents to ping pellets / maggots out and immediately whip fish in and out with nothing but a bare hook because there would be such a frenzy when anything hit the water, We all individually thought we were smart and had the matches in the beg. Turns out half the bloody kids on the match were doing the same tactic! :ROFLMAO:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Tried to keep out of this one but I cannot.

In the fifties Fred J Taylor asked `just how many people in this country have caught a ten pound carp?`

Now it would be `just how many people have not caught a ten pound carp?`

In days of yore if you wanted the magic ton it was a visit to Ireland or perhaps get lucky on a bream water. Since the advent of
commercial type fisheries a hundred pound catch is not just commonplace but catches two or even three times this do not raise
eyebrows.

All types of water can at times be difficult but overall commercials are easy. You know that I know that and everyone and their
dog knows it.

Not digging at commies or the people who fish them, just stating the obvious.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tried to keep out of this one but I cannot.

In the fifties Fred J Taylor asked `just how many people in this country have caught a ten pound carp?`

Now it would be `just how many people have not caught a ten pound carp?`

In days of yore if you wanted the magic ton it was a visit to Ireland or perhaps get lucky on a bream water. Since the advent of
commercial type fisheries a hundred pound catch is not just commonplace but catches two or even three times this do not raise
eyebrows.

All types of water can at times be difficult but overall commercials are easy. You know that I know that and everyone and their
dog knows it.

Not digging at commies or the people who fish them, just stating the obvious.

Rose Tinted Redmires

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I take the pee out of bivvy divvies with their 5 rods and 20 different types of rig that take 3 days and 3 nights to hook one fish, tiddler bashers with their £3k canal poles catching gudgeon, the commercial match brigade with their scaffolding and 5 keepnets hogging commercials every weekend so the humble pleasure angler who works mon-fri can't get a peg.

But i don't mind people taking the pee out of what i do, Carbelling, Pike ******, tackle tart, most of the gear and no idea.

Just banter is all :D

There's fishing you like, there's fishing i like, and some i don't like, might even be some fishing you don't like, but we all love.... fishing :love:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Evening Mick, I no longer read the angling press but I have no doubt most weeks carry reports of enormous catches of carp
from commercials, can`t be that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.