Commercials, Why It Upsets Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Errrrrrrrrrr ... to answer your question .... and you’ve hit the nail on the head in your post. Yes and no. If you take Barbel out of the equation then yes, the silvers fishing is better BUT and it is a big BUT, that is providing you can drop on a shoal. There’s 20lb of silvers in a lot of pegs but not all. In fact, 35 years ago there was 3 - 5lb in every peg. Not now. The fish are there but, they are in pockets and move from one day to the next. My concern now is how the influx of Mitton crabs is going to effect future fish shoals. Namely the spawning areas. Hopefully any winter floods may sweep them away. Fingers crossed. 🙄
and I have to say that I've never seen the Trent as clear as it was this summer! when you get a bit of summer rain I know it gets more even and fairer.

rudd

Site Supporter
Right, I am off to the local Trout lake stocked with 500lbs of 3-5lb Rainbows every two weeks.
Fly only as they would be to easy to catch otherwise. Proper fishing for proper (edible) fish!

Would have gone beach fishing but commercials have ruined sea fishing 😉

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Yes but Trout fishing doesn't count as real fishing. 😂😂
Tongue firmly planted.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Right, I am off to the local Trout lake stocked with 500lbs of 3-5lb Rainbows every two weeks.
Fly only as they would be to easy to catch otherwise. Proper fishing for proper (edible) fish!
Haha that is artificial fishing my grandad only goes to his trout lake in the few weeks immediately after a stocking as he says if you don’t go then everyone’s caught them all 😂

They have the tendency to snuff it in the summer as well which does make you question the ethics of it a bit 🤔

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Silverfisher you fish the same swims hammering the same fish,what's ethical about that?
Apart from the one has mans influence is it not the same?
Fishing is what the person doing it wants it to be

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I actually stopped fishing the weir I fished a while because of catching the same fish, made a thread asking if it was ethical when I caught the same Golden Orfe 4 times, when it happened with a Chub I knocked fishing there on the head for a while. Now I'm convinced that different fish move in and out of the pool as they please.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve yet to fish a commercial but I certainly wouldn’t be averse to doing so - my main object these days is to teach my young son to fish and to do that we need to be certain that there are fish there to be caught.

Now this applies with my local natural free lake - it is full of carp from tiddlers to lumps - but when we lose access to it I will happily take my boy to the nearest day ticket water to continue to grow his interest.

Its all fishing, enjoy it as you will :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
and I have to say that I've never seen the Trent as clear as it was this summer! when you get a bit of summer rain I know it gets more even and fairer.
Very true pal. Very true. I saw my very first Zander this year. One of about 2lb I’m guessing. It swam past gently in the edge as I was just getting ready to cast my Barbel rig in. What I remember is, it was very green. Greener than any perch I’ve ever seen. A sort of metallic green. It’s on my bucket list to catch one so knowing that they are in this stretch has given me the confidence to have a go for one. I just don’t know how yet. 🙄

Total

Site Supporter
Very true pal. Very true. I saw my very first Zander this year. One of about 2lb I’m guessing. It swam past gently in the edge as I was just getting ready to cast my Barbel rig in. What I remember is, it was very green. Greener than any perch I’ve ever seen. A sort of metallic green. It’s on my bucket list to catch one so knowing that they are in this stretch has given me the confidence to have a go for one. I just don’t know how yet. 🙄

I'll prepare the video gear mate.....;):ROFLMAO:

Rick123

Site Supporter
I had a blast on them this season thanks to you Neil, but I hate them for other reasons too. I hate to see such a casual attitude to the fish in general. Where I fish your often asked if you have a carp mat, many don't and the fish end up on a hard wood board. Too many fish in a net is another and damage in many cases. HOWEVER you have to live with that if you want to fish them, I'm becoming reconciled now with commercials. I can enjoy both now wild and commercials.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'll prepare the video gear mate.....;):ROFLMAO:
A virtual Zander session Mark ? 🤣🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Silverfisher you fish the same swims hammering the same fish,what's ethical about that?
Apart from the one has mans influence is it not the same?
Fishing is what the person doing it wants it to be
I doubt they are the same fish every time and I’m not sure tops 4 times in a month is hammering even if others fish them in between considering such swims on busier stretches probably have someone fishing them almost every day 😂

What I was referring to anyway was whether it’s wise to stick a load of trout in a water for a lot of them to all die each time it gets hot.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Just to add - as a match angler - from a total weight perspective, there is absolutely no doubt that commercials on average (and stocked "commerical type" lakes) are easier than rivers, canals and drains. Thats not to say that you can't get more bites and fish on "natural" waters - often you can.
Equally - there are easy rivers and not so easy rivers.
Why anyone would try to pretend otherwise is difficult to understand.

personally I like variety in my match fishing and the test of a range of techniques and approaches.
There's a stretch of river near to me that I think is as close to optimum for match fishing as it gets ... through the season you can frame from pretty much any peg on the stretch - but on any given day you may need to catch chub, barbel, roach, dace, perch or bream (or a combination) to get the most out of the peg. You may need waggler, stick, feeder, bomb, whip or pole. Usual winning weights are between 15 and 25 pounds - although it can throw up to 70 very occasionally.

But i still don't go to that venue all of the time as I like variety!

JayD

"They are mainly made of artificially created/adapted waters, that are artificially stocked, to an artificially high level, mostly with artificially created fish ie, mongrel carp, purely for commercial purposes "

What a load of rubbish
Would have loved that to have been the case yesterday.

How many flowing waters have the EA restocked in recent years and what about the first stocking of Barbel in the Severn.
In the 70 and 80s Barbel Alley on the Severn and the Lower Teme were the equivalent of today's Commercials.
"What a load of rubbish"..... Oh sorry Lee, my bad. I never realised that all those snake lakes, polo lakes, doughnut lakes, with landscaped bottoms, and features just in comfortable pole reach, or a gentle feeder lob, were all natural. Or that the 'fishery' owners were lying when they say that they have designed/created a fishery with well stocked lakes, containing selected species and sizes tailored to suit the needs of beginners, matches, specimen anglers, or even the odd 'silvers lake'. Or that they often stock with hybrid species that serve no other purpose than to provide a 'catching experience' for the paying customer? All this time, I've been mislead and mistaken, or are you just providing the 'bovine excrement' to (what's the phrase?), 'get a right woody on' at the chance of having a dig? :unsure:

I didn't agree with the Angling Times stocking barbel into the southern rivers, and don't agree with stocking a water just because a few anglers say that it's 'rubbish', or they would like to fish for something different locally. I only agree with restocking if a water is coming back from a pollution or such, and only then with indigenous species, and to a level that the water can support, allowing nature to make it's own balance.
Sorry if my dislike of artificially messing with angling, upsets you. I feel the same when I read of 'safari farms' in the US that provide the opportunity to hunt and kill exotic species, captured and contained with in a large compound.
I didn't like look of Jordan, or Pamela Andersons boobs either, come to think of it. :)

John.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Never fished a canal,reservoir or gravel pit in your life then John?
Or maybe a session on the Fens or Norfolk Broads ?
Or maybe a river that has had its flow diverted by a lock, weir,flood canalisation process?

Thankfully your attitude towards angling is a thing primarily of your age group and one that doesn't impact on the enjoyment most get from angling.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm not so sure,the fish in your photos all look like they are the same one. 😂😂😂
Haha such untrained eyes you have 😉tbf I think that has something to do with the nature of all fish of fairly similar size looking rather similar 😅

I don’t use a keepnet though so you could be right with some of them 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.