Commercials, Why It Upsets Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Astute readers will have worked out that posts criticising commercial fisheries, using derogatory language to describe them and saying that fishing them is easy upsets me. Yes I take it personally. Indirectly such posts are aimed at me and others like me who fish commercials (I also fish canals & rivers).

There are a few reasons I fish commercials.

• My match club switched to only fishing commercials some years ago.
  • The annual two day event I fish now uses commercials exclusively. This is for ease of organisation and convenience for anglers travelling from distance. Strangely though the only time I have won the event was the last time we fished a canal (2010).
  • There was a time, due to suffering from Ulcerative Colitis and post surgery I needed to be near a toilet.
  • I found myself enjoying these waters, the new skills I had to learn and the fish I catch. To me very little beats the thrill I get hooking large fish just a short distance from where I am seated.
But overriding all that I am free to choose where and how I fish and should be able to do so without being judged or looked down upon.

I could talk about how fishing commercials is not as easy as some would believe but that would fall on deaf ears. I have expressed my being baffled by the idea that catching 25 carp in a day is easy fishing but 150 silvers from a canal or river is a "proper day's fishing". I have done both but no one has ever been able to explain the distinction to my satisfaction.

So a personal plea. Dislike commercials and carp if you like. But please refrain from derogatory comments dismissive of the skills it takes and the difficulty you can encounter when fishing these waters and the species that are caught.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't recall seeing any derogatory comments re commercials, not enough to get upset about.

In fact I'd go as far to say that the majority of members and visitors fish commercials more than natural waters

Hands up if you fish Commericials... (y)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Fair play Neil.
I don't fish Commies these days but it annoys me as much as those who bash Carp anglers in general.
There are probably half a dozen on here now who must get a right woody on when they see the chance to have a dig.
We know who they are and it's a gimme they will feel the need to chip in.
What makes me laugh the most is they feel they need to even if they don't fish the same type of waters or style themselves.

Ftr There are a couple of chaps called Nudd and Scotthorne who are two of the greatest Carp anglers of all time.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I dont like commercials, and I dont like match fishing. That said some if not all the best anglers I know are match anglers ! Maybe because over here commercials are fairly rare, most of it is done on wild waters. Most of the good advice I have received over the years is from match anglers who do fish commercials. Over the years I have found that the better anglers can catch on both, so to criticize someone for caching carp is just silly. All disciplines have their place and all anglers deserve respect.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I try to rotate my fishing throughout the year, it's coming to that time of year where commercials come into their own for me, this is just how I like to fish, not because of what other people think. I think most people on here have an idea that 'no two commercials are the same' though, and the way I like to fish commercials is certainly not how I'd approach a match there but again just what I like to do.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My club went over to fishing commercial fisheries a good few years ago when coaches started charging 800 quid plus for an outing... before that we went to rivers, canals, lakes, meres, but now its commercials... same old same old... carp... nothing but carp... if you didn't fish for carp you didn't stand a chance in any of the club matches... so now I fish only club waters and give the commercials a miss... if a commy is your bag then go for it... if you like being told where, when, and how to fish and how many in a keepnet, what baits to use, what methods are or aren't allowed.... your choice... and mine

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Astute readers will have worked out that posts criticising commercial fisheries, using derogatory language to describe them and saying that fishing them is easy upsets me. Yes I take it personally. Indirectly such posts are aimed at me and others like me who fish commercials (I also fish canals & rivers).

There are a few reasons I fish commercials.

• My match club switched to only fishing commercials some years ago.
  • The annual two day event I fish now uses commercials exclusively. This is for ease of organisation and convenience for anglers travelling from distance. Strangely though the only time I have won the event was the last time we fished a canal (2010).
  • There was a time, due to suffering from Ulcerative Colitis and post surgery I needed to be near a toilet.
  • I found myself enjoying these waters, the new skills I had to learn and the fish I catch. To me very little beats the thrill I get hooking large fish just a short distance from where I am seated.
But overriding all that I am free to choose where and how I fish and should be able to do so without being judged or looked down upon.

I could talk about how fishing commercials is not as easy as some would believe but that would fall on deaf ears. I have expressed my being baffled by the idea that catching 25 carp in a day is easy fishing but 150 silvers from a canal or river is a "proper day's fishing". I have done both but no one has ever been able to explain the distinction to my satisfaction.

So a personal plea. Dislike commercials and carp if you like. But please refrain from derogatory comments dismissive of the skills it takes and the difficulty you can encounter when fishing these waters and the species that are caught.
Fishing would be on its backside without the introduction of commercials Neil. It’s kept the industry ticking over and introduced a few new lads and lasses into the sport. If we only had natural venues ..... oh, it doesn’t bare thinking about. And this comes from an angler who is predominantly a natural venue angler. Long live commercials. 👍

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
Neil, Well said.I am no lover of commercials. I look at it as playing football on grass or synthetic pitches.
But I am of the age that needs to adapt to the inevitable of getting too and from where you are fishing.
I will have to fish more and more commercials, I will have to fish the Pole more as part of this adaption.
BUT, you can do research and find YOUR adaption to this. It does not have to be ALL CARP. Yes matches do revolve around weight and bigger lumps win more prises.
We as a body have to press owners of fisheries, clubs and opens to also adapt to serving up what some of us want and need to give a variety in our pastime. More Silvers and more Silvers only matches. NO CARP to count at all. This in turn could lead to silvers only lakes to accommodate this.
There would always be Carp Match Lakes, as there are Carp Specimen Lakes. Why do Snake / Canal lakes hold Carp in numbers. Thought they were an artificial Canal and its fishing tactic and species. What is this explosion of Barbel in commercials are they the NEW CARP on the block ! Or is it just a pander to peoples wishes. Like news papers they feed us what they think we want and tell us that it IS what we asked for.
Are my rose coloured specs' over reacting to all this, an age thing maybe.
In todays uncertainty and to protect the future of Angling, safety, accessibility ,variety and amenities have to be looked into.
We are I am afraid in all an older demographic . So, be safe, enjoy whatever dips your float and don't be frightened of change especially if you can influence this for better variety to please more people.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I tend to use more commercials these days for two reasons (a) they have facilities which I need and (b) Commercials give me the opportunity to catch more fish in the time I have available. Also many of my local commercials allow me to unload my car almost on the swim, as I cannot carry gear very far. Also I don't see how regularly playing decent sized carp can be called "easy" when compared with Bream and silvers. Nevertheless I love fishing for Bream too, and try and rotate between Comms and natural venues whenever I can. Whatever floats your boat is fine by me. On a personal note my lad was a keen carp angler with a collection of bivvies and other gear. Tried that once or twice caught a couple, but It's never really been for me. I like to be active a lot

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
@Neil ofthe nene ... whilst there are complexities, I agree with your points ... and there is just as much (perhaps more) skill in matchfishing on commercials. As I wrote in the “luck” thread, Peggy natural venues are also nice because they allow every dog to have their day!

@tipitinmick - i’m not convinced that commercials were the saviours of coarse fishing ... it is just a view that has been repeated so often that it has become accepted fact. However, the rise of commercials did perhaps coincide with the population craving ever more instant success.

equally ... I do get exasperated with posters who write that rivers are rubbish and devoid of fish. Like any environment, the fish populations change over the years ... but as a match angler the fishing now on rivers is pretty much as good as I’ve ever known it. Certainly my regular weights are as good as ever ... just that a stone of fish is a framing weight on most matches and venues ... rather than 70 pounds plus on commercials.

in the end, my reason for being anti commercials is that IMO they contributed to the decline/fragmentation of larger open matches. I’m not going to change that, it’s history and I still enjoy match fishing for what it is.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Well said Neil. You’d have to be blind not to notice the flack commercials and carp get on here. Someone posts about a 600lb match weight and loads of people pipe up about how all commercials are like that and they wouldn’t go to one if you paid them, overstocked pond pigs blah blah blah.

I think people who criticise commercials haven’t been around enough of them. They are not all rammed with carp on every lake (though I enjoy the lakes which are). Round us we’ve got ones that are like estate lakes and ones which are very mature and natural looking. Silver fish lakes, tench lakes, anything you want really. One of my favourites has carp, tench, roach, rudd, perch and crucians all in one lake. You never know what you are going to get next.

Clean, well run commercials are the mainstay of my fishing and I am definitely not on the match scene. Many thousands of people get massive amounts of pleasure fishing them. I fish some lovely tranquil club lakes but if I could only fish one venue for the rest of my life it would be a commercial.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
Guilty, but...

Commercial hook a duck
Carp camping
Carbeling
Silver bit bashing
"On-The-Fly" snobbery

It's just banter, it's like cracking jokes at somebodies preference for a particular food or car manufacturer, nobody "really" cares, chill out.

Some people enjoy proper fishing, some like to double it up as a camping trip and go to sleep, some people prefer it easy on a puddle full of lobotomised bream - and that's fine :p:p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.