Commercials or naturals

Keith Sparky

I really don't mind as both have their pros and cons. I enjoy all types of fishing so one day catching loads of carp and the next feeder fishing for bream or the next stick float for dace or whatever takes my fancy....Biggest pro for commercials is usually the good access and close parking to pegs but equally the tranquility of the river away from the crowds also has its attraction.....

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My favourite place is a natural lake that’s heavily stock managed, just with clonking great Bream. I like the depth of the water there too, for me deep water is as much a thrill as moving water.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Rivers and the sea are my favourites as I like to fish in amongst proper original nature if that makes sense but when it comes to commercials or natural stillwaters it depends on your definition.

I hate the overstocked characterless commercials but then almost equally don't like understocked massive pits.

Instead I like either well managed commercials designed to fit in with nature along with sensibly stocking and what I'd call semi natural stillwaters that were either dug or perhaps adapted from an existing water then sensibly stocked and planted once but then left to their own devices to mature over say 10-20 years or longer and have naturally sustained a good stocking level. Or just natural stillwaters that have managed to produce their own good level of stocking.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not voted because I'm not sure how our club lakes fit into this question. They are approx 150 - 160 years old (would they come under naturalised?). They were built to supply a long gone pit (so man made). They are not a commercial as in there are no day tickets (members only). I'm sure there will be many fisheries like this.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That's the kind of place I'd call a semi natural ukzero unless they've had much stocking fairly recently.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember it being pointed out to me when I mentioned it was good a Big Roach had came from a 'natural' venue when it had came from a canal that canals weren't natural. Although I see the point, it is generally a 'natural' stock? Admittedly, I don't know much about the stocking of canals.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
That's the kind of place I'd call a semi natural ukzero unless they've had much stocking fairly recently.
Not stocked in about 3 years. Since then, what fish are in the 2 lakes are naturally bred in them. Both lakes were going to have a few stock fish put in them this year but this lock-down put paid to that.

Silver fan 82

How do you define a commercial?
Are club lakes that are natural but have been stocked in the past seen as a commercial or are we talking those featureless holes in the ground full of pasty looking carp and annoying F1?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s the thing isn’t it it’s a very loose term. Personally I think any water that’s been around for say more than say 20 years (ideally longer in some form), is designed to look natural and has only been stocked once to a level that’s not far off natural (allowing for maybe the odd minor top up after fish kills or something) and then largely left to it’s own devices save for a bit of pruning has therefore become sort of semi natural to me.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
do the fishing you want to do, i dont care if its a natural lake, a man made lake, a commercial, a river, a canal, a canalised river, a loch, a mere, a brook or any other type of venue.

just go and enjoy your fishing and the environment and dont break any rules, simple!

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I remember it being pointed out to me when I mentioned it was good a Big Roach had came from a 'natural' venue when it had came from a canal that canals weren't natural. Although I see the point, it is generally a 'natural' stock? Admittedly, I don't know much about the stocking of canals.
Many stretches of canal, and rivers, have been stocked.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Stocked in terms of topped up but there would have been a natural stock to start with.

Interestingly I was speaking to the owner of a pond in our village thats full of rudd and they said they never stocked it. Now I’ve heard the whole eggs stuck to birds legs story but never thought that would see a place end up teeming with fish in a relatively short amount of time.

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

Rudd seem to be quite prolific breeders possibly? Ive heard of stories similar to this.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah I believe they are but still impressive to go from empty to the below in 20 years.
1591519519935.jpeg
There was another a pond in my old village dug for the millennium and stocked with a few carp and Rudd yet when I fished it about 5 years later and it had perch in it so is interesting where they appear from lol

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
thats way too many fish, will be a rudd a bung, 500 in a match, just mind numbing bagging blah blah blah

thought i would say it before someone does lol! personally i love targeting big rudd on the wag, getting rarer though i am finding

Silver fan 82

Yeah I believe they are but still impressive to go from empty to the below in 20 years.
View attachment 34843
There was another a pond in my old village dug for the millennium and stocked with a few carp and Rudd yet when I fished it about 5 years later and it had perch in it so is interesting where they appear from lol
That is impressive lol!

Silver fan 82

thats way too many fish, will be a rudd a bung, 500 in a match, just mind numbing bagging blah blah blah

thought i would say it before someone does lol! personally i love targeting big rudd on the wag, getting rarer though i am finding
Love big rudd fishing! The bigger rudd I have ever caught have always been when Im not targeting them though. Funnily enough usually on ledgering gear.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
havnt caught a big rudd for years, used to fish a lovely gravel pit many many moons ago, used to be feeder fishing for first 3hrs, then it would usually go iffy so it was fishing over the same spot with a waggler and a nice worm loose feeding casters or maggots, wouldnt get many bits but every rudd was well over 1lb, they have filled the lake in now and built houses on it!