Commercials closing early.

Stufish

Birch House Lakes used to be dawn till dusk. They had a spate of serious night time poaching (netting I believe) and have had to fit an automated gate. It’s open 6am to 7pm. Closing at 7pm doesn’t really affect me personally but I really miss starting at 4.30 in summer. There is usually a small queue at the gate at 6 whereas I used to get a couple of hours solitude before. The fish are generally in the margins and really switched on from 4.30 to 6am so I miss it a lot. I now fish 6 till 10 generally but it’s not really as good as it is earlier. I fully understand why they’ve had to do it but it’s really sad.
That's one that I used to enjoy evenings on, I used to fish heron (first lake over the bridge) and sometimes I'd be the only one on it. Used to fish prawns for the decent perch and the odd bonus carp and the hour before dusk was always best. Didn't know about the poaching but as usual it's the few spoiling it for everyone else...

bluemack

Site Supporter
We're not blessed with rivers in Wirral, mate. Only got the Dee & for the amount of time I get to go fishing (be different if I was retired or had days off), half of it would be spent driving & getting to a peg. That's why I mainly fish our club ponds. Twelve to choose from & all varied so it doesn't get boring.
Fair enough landlord i was generalising really, obviously not everyone has rivers nearby as in your case but those that can should
boycott these waters until they realise how important the customer is to them.
I fished a commie a couple of years ago( a rare thing for me) Astwood fisheries near Redditch and the owner spoke to us like we were dirt
the blokes a piece of :poop: i,ll never set foot on his water again.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Fair enough landlord i was generalising really, obviously not everyone has rivers nearby as in your case but those that can should
boycott these waters until they realise how important the customer is to them.
I fished a commie a couple of years ago( a rare thing for me) Astwood fisheries near Redditch and the owner spoke to us like we were dirt
the blokes a piece of :poop: i,ll never set foot on his water again.
I don’t really have access to rivers where I live and even if there were any I’d struggle with accessibility. The commercials I fish are generally well run with pleasant owners and bailiffs. I have always been treated well by them. It probably depends where you are in the country. Most of the people who strongly dislike commercials are generally further south than us.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don’t really have access to rivers where I live and even if there were any I’d struggle with accessibility.
If you're ever down around this part of the world mate I can put you on some easily accessible bits of river. Comes with the territory of usually fishing with my grandad that we have to go places with relatively short or at least easy walks and with comfortable swims 👍🏻

Stufish

I don’t really have access to rivers where I live and even if there were any I’d struggle with accessibility. The commercials I fish are generally well run with pleasant owners and bailiffs. I have always been treated well by them. It probably depends where you are in the country. Most of the people who strongly dislike commercials are generally further south than us.
Do you ever fish Longford? They've decided to shut at 5!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Do you ever fish Longford? They've decided to shut at 5!
No I’ve never fished it, always intended to. They stayed closed all through lockdown even though fishing was allowed as well I seem to remember. Closing at 5 is ridiculous.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I don,t dislike all commies and i do fish them VERY occasionally maybe 3 or 4 times a year and i can certainly see why a lot of people
are attracted to them safe parking,easy access, cafe etc, but if they shut at 5 or 6pm they don,t deserve the custom.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I don,t dislike all commies and i do fish them VERY occasionally maybe 3 or 4 times a year and i can certainly see why a lot of people
are attracted to them safe parking,easy access, cafe etc, but if they shut at 5 or 6pm they don,t deserve the custom.
No you are right. Closing at 5 is a joke.

Rick123

Site Supporter
if you can't catch on most comercials during the day your probably doing something wrong (or the venue's not that great)
On every one I've fished the match boys catch much, much, more in the evenings. Its why they often have evening matches, and the catch rate is much higher as the heat goes out of the day, ask anyone?

nico12

Grebe Grabber
A few fisheries seem to have used lockdown / pandemic to change rules / hours - Buttarley up near J28 M1 now only allowing day tickets in the week not weekends and have to be off by 6pm i believe. Its slowly evolving into a Carp anglers only place, membership ( cash) was high due to pandemic and theyre milking it. Silver fish group closed on Social Media etc. Problem is theve invested in some real lumps but no ones catching them - So then agreed for 00's pounds of Bream to be removed ' for the greater good'? ....funny really. Suspect the additional cash will be milked for a couple more years then redcued availability / tickets. Oh and last week were debating closing whole fishery due to carp spawing in two or three specific places - silver fish anglers not chucking eads at 'em - members only remember.
Think Highem also changed their hours though could be wrong on that one.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I love evening sessions but always get a bit panicky about staying too late for some reason, even when I'm allowed to, so usually pack away pretty early, say 9pm latest on the rivers even when I could get another hour or so in, it's a blissful dreamy time of year though so I feel sorry for those that can't fit in evenings, as has been said, some venues near me, the 4 hour evening matches hold the venue record.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I love fishing till dusk/dark and often dont start till midday or afterrnoon.
Most commercials around here make this impossible which I find very frustrating, especially in summer.

Never been a morning person given the choice and don't fish office/normal workday hours so to speak.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Surprised there’s so many that like late sessions, evening is pub or chilling time for me! Much prefer to get up early to hit the bank when it’s quietest and usually still with nice soft light and just be there as the world wakes up. Often find the best fishing is before midday as well.

Chervil

Site Supporter
Strangest timings I have seen are at a lake, attached to a farm shop near me. Fishing allowed Monday to Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 10:30am-4pm!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Surprised there’s so many that like late sessions, evening is pub or chilling time for me! Much prefer to get up early to hit the bank when it’s quietest and usually still with nice soft light and just be there as the world wakes up. Often find the best fishing is before midday as well.
Used to fish two evening matches a week at the height of summer. draw at half five, fish six till nine. There used to be many commie, and some natural, matches kicking off at two in the afternoon, sometimes three or four. Just to catch the best times. Dont know how often that happens now. Obviously not on the commies that close at Five.

satinet

Site Supporter
The best fishing is in the evening in my experience tbh. They can go nuts just before dark. Especially carp.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The best fishing is in the evening in my experience tbh. They can go nuts just before dark. Especially carp.
Yeah I can imagine the last couple hours are similar to the first couple hours, I’d just find it a bit of an inconvenience to be fishing at that sort of time, well not an inconvenience more disruptive.

peterb

Site Supporter
Strangest timings I have seen are at a lake, attached to a farm shop near me. Fishing allowed Monday to Saturday 9am-5pm, Sunday 10:30am-4pm!
Cefn Mably near Cardiff is actually closed on Sunday

nathan21

As above I have noticed that the commercials near here (Derby) have decided to close early as opposed to allowing fishing till dusk. With working I find it impossible to go in the week and I used to find the hour up till dusk productive especially for perch. I imagine this is countrywide and assume with the rise in popularity of fishing they can make enough during the day to not bother staying open till dusk. Anybody else have this problem?
Stufish do you live in derby? If so do you fish the canals? Trying to get some information on where I can get my car as close to a good stretch as possible as I have chest problems and can't walk too far.

Stufish

Stufish do you live in derby? If so do you fish the canals? Trying to get some information on where I can get my car as close to a good stretch as possible as I have chest problems and can't walk too far.
I do live in Derby, what tickets have you got? The nearest I know for parking would be at Stenson bubble or Lowe's lane at swarkestone but I don't know whose ticket they are. Does it have to be a canal?