Commercials closing early.

Stufish

As above I have noticed that the commercials near here (Derby) have decided to close early as opposed to allowing fishing till dusk. With working I find it impossible to go in the week and I used to find the hour up till dusk productive especially for perch. I imagine this is countrywide and assume with the rise in popularity of fishing they can make enough during the day to not bother staying open till dusk. Anybody else have this problem?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Think most are dawn til dusk here. Wouldn’t know for sure as I tend to arrive between 7.30 and 8.30 and leave between 3 and 5. Much later than that and I’m in the pub!

Stufish

I think it's a joke tbh. You sit through all that quiet time of the day only for them to basically throw you off during prime bite time. Down here a lot of them closing at 7pm this is prime time for me.
Seven seems to be the general rule but one here has decided to close at 5! Still rammed in the day though so I suppose they're happy enough.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Yes Rycroft used to do an evening ticket after 4.00pm and close around 9.00pm in the summer but notice they now close at 7.00pm.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Problem I have with my local ones is opening too late. I can only fish until midday & ours don't open until 8am. That's why I ended up joining a club so I can get out at 6am if I want & still get 5 or 6 hours fishing in.

bluemack

Site Supporter
My view is ,if you are in good health and able, wait for the river season to open and forget the commies,it appears to me
they are more and more treating anglers with contempt once they have your money.:poop:

Paul85

Problem I have with my local ones is opening too late. I can only fish until midday & ours don't open until 8am. That's why I ended up joining a club so I can get out at 6am if I want & still get 5 or 6 hours fishing in.
Beauty of club waters turn up when you want. Perfect in the height of summer start at 5 finish at 12 still got a good 7 hours fishing in all amongst the mist on the water and everything coming to life around you. I find evenings more prolific but you can't beat that early morning atmosphere for me.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
My view is ,if you are in good health and able, wait for the river season to open and forget the commies,it appears to me
they are more and more treating anglers with contempt once they have your money.:poop:
We're not blessed with rivers in Wirral, mate. Only got the Dee & for the amount of time I get to go fishing (be different if I was retired or had days off), half of it would be spent driving & getting to a peg. That's why I mainly fish our club ponds. Twelve to choose from & all varied so it doesn't get boring.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Local to me used to do half day and after 4pm tickets. Ideal after work etc
Now since COVID shop only open to 12 so only all day tickets

smiffy

Site Supporter
Another reason, if you’re fit and able, to join a local club.
A large reservoir near me has a little shed where you write out your own day tickets and post the money through a letter box. Meant I could be on the bank at 4.30am Saturday morning. Beautiful. Caught sweet fanny adams but still great being up that time of day😂

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another reason, if you’re fit and able, to join a local club.
A large reservoir near me has a little shed where you write out your own day tickets and post the money through a letter box. Meant I could be on the bank at 4.30am Saturday morning. Beautiful. Caught sweet fanny adams but still great being up that time of day😂
The only acceptable reason to be up at 04:30 is when the party is still going on…….

Rick123

Site Supporter
I can assure many of you that some waters its 5pm to 6pm, lucky the one I fish most is 9pm. Then the owners moan when they don't make enough money and have to sell up. Life and work is hard, nothing is a given, anglers work, and an evening permit is a must for any commercial IMHO.

brian bird 66

I think it's a joke tbh. You sit through all that quiet time of the day only for them to basically throw you off during prime bite time. Down here a lot of them closing at 7pm this is prime time for me.
if you can't catch on most comercials during the day your probably doing something wrong (or the venue's not that great)

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There's one not that far from me that doesn't seem to bother about closing time, there's no telling you to leave or anything. Officially it's a 'dawn till dusk' fishery, but the bailiff only comes round twice a day for the day tickets. No bailiffs come round after 3pm (unless there's a reported problem) and night fishing, although the signs say it isn't allowed, it's turned a blind eye to. The bailiffs know it happens, and yet leave anglers to it.

Louis D

Site Supporter
So, expectations of open at dawn and close at dusk to suit everyone. A 15/7 week with anglers moaning 100% of the time - why would anyone run a fishery?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
What few commercials there are round here state you have to pack up half an hour before dark.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Birch House Lakes used to be dawn till dusk. They had a spate of serious night time poaching (netting I believe) and have had to fit an automated gate. It’s open 6am to 7pm. Closing at 7pm doesn’t really affect me personally but I really miss starting at 4.30 in summer. There is usually a small queue at the gate at 6 whereas I used to get a couple of hours solitude before. The fish are generally in the margins and really switched on from 4.30 to 6am so I miss it a lot. I now fish 6 till 10 generally but it’s not really as good as it is earlier. I fully understand why they’ve had to do it but it’s really sad.