Commercial / Other Waters

Can anyone please butt in! What do you reckon to fishing a "Commercial Style" water as if it was a sit and wait water? Forgive my ignorance re terminology but I don't really know what to call other waters?. What I mean is, one of the "Commercial Style" waters I fish has a good head of fish to over 20 lbs. Is it realistic to fish it as if I wanted to catch a single bigger fish rather than "Bagging Up" on 5 / 6 lbers? Should I be trying a bigger bait / boilie; sit and wait approach?
All ideas warmly welcomed and insults accepted with a tough outer skin!
Ian Red ??

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Worth a go. Guess you can go with either the kiss enough frogs until you get your big un approach or go with a method that excludes the smaller ones. Getting local knowledge will likely provide your best bet though as to whether the bigger fish are realistically achievable ??

davej1981

Theres alot of commercials with bigger fish so attack it as you feel best! Just make sure the rules allow it. A local venue to me has fish to around 30lb although they are few and far between but they dont want “carp fishing” so they have rules that put the carp anglers off - maximum hook sizes, bait bans etc

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Fish any water any way you like as long as it is within the rules. Never let anyone dictate or shame you into fishing how you prefer or choose on the day.

Before I joined my current club they had a match on the canal. One lad sat all day for one of the big carp that were know to be there. He caught one and won the match. A couple of members wanted him disqualified as he had not fished "correctly". The result stood.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Fish any water any way you like as long as it is within the rules. Never let anyone dictate or shame you into fishing how you prefer or choose on the day.

Before I joined my current club they had a match on the canal. One lad sat all day for one of the big carp that were know to be there. He caught one and won the match. A couple of members wanted him disqualified as he had not fished "correctly". The result stood.
Very similar to a water I used to fish when I fished matches, it was renown to be a difficult water to work out but had a decent stock of silvers along with some tench and crucian carp plus about a dozen carp that ran to high teens. Normally around 5-7lb would almost make certain of a win, however one guy started coming to the matches and fished specimen style (keep in mind this was back in the late 70's early 80's) he would sit and wait for one fish some times he blanked but he would often land one carp or even a bonus big bream or tench and win the match, infact we used to run an evening series in the summer and this guy walked it winning about 7 of the 10 match series. The next season there were all sorts of rules put in place to stop this guy, bait restrictions, maximum hook and line size....I didn't fish anymore after that as this guy was thinking out of the box and the people that ran the club matches didn't like it.....just went to show that doing something different can often pay dividends

rudd

Site Supporter
Oh the old make up and change rule brigade because someones catching / winning.
One match organiser did that round here to suit his style of fishing - numbers plummeted.

davej1981

Tbh i bet we’ve all done it at some point had a hard day and changed to a sit and wait approach for one bite. One my local club waters has had many matches won with one bite! If the roach and bream switch off ( and its a very funny place one day 50lb of bream next day nothing!) alot of the guys sit it out for one the lakes mid double+ fish

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Mate, my perfect days fishing would be fifty 1lb fish. If your perfect day is one 50lb fish then crack on. As long as you fish within the rules theres nothing stopping you. Enjoy and good luck.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Mate, my perfect days fishing would be fifty 1lb fish. If your perfect day is one 50lb fish then crack on. As long as you fish within the rules theres nothing stopping you. Enjoy and good luck.
A couple of years ago a friend and me fished Cefn Mabely and caught it on a bad day, I decided to fish the whip and ended up with about 12-15lb of silvers, I caught all day and was kept busy, my friend sat it out on the feeder and had 2 bites and landed 2 carp for about 15lb, we both totalled about the same weight but who had the better day, I argued that I had as I caught continually but my mate argued that he had the excitement of landing larger fish......who was right ? my view is neither of us were right or wrong as long as we enjoyed what we did then it is job done

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I was at Alders farm at the weekend and met up with my good mate and drinking buddy on many an MD's fish in, Arky. I do the matches he does the carp fishing. I had a decent weekend, he got breamed out but things could have been different for both of us, thats fishing. No matter what way you do it just enjoy it....... we did?

squimp

Site Supporter
If you want to specifically target the biggest fish in a heavily stocked water I reckon about the only viable tactic is to pre- select them by using a massive bait.

if you fish a (Say) 40mm boilie the smaller fish won’t be physically able to pick it up. The bad news is that you will probably have to make them yourself.
3x 20mm won’t have the same effect as smaller fish will try and eat them.

there is a great story of a team of guys pioneering the use of boilies for big tench (in Kent during the 80’s). They fished 25mm baits and only caught tench of 6lb plus - on purpose.

rudd

Site Supporter
Back to the OP, yes it is possible.
Some rigs - such as withy pool rig lend themselves to catching bigger fish as do 20mm boilies!

Feed a spot on your commercial to keep the pond pigs happy - then fish a few meters away from it or find the less popular spots on fishery as bigger fish like to sit back in quiet spots ghen feed later in the day.

bluemack

Site Supporter
When i first joined the club i am currently with i only ever fished for the 1 bite this was on the warks avon or severn
i usually either blanked or won the match with a Barbel or two ,i don,t bother now because it was too much of a waiting game.:sleep:

Silver fan 82

The other possible option would maybe stalk the bigger fish?
If the fishery isn't too busy and you can physically see the bigger fish then try a surface bait or dropping a slow sinking bait in front of them.
The most exciting form of catching carp IMO if it's possible and within the rules to do so.