Commercial Margin Rigs in Depth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Draw

Faced with say a two foot swim how would you tackle it depth wise.

I ask the question because opinions seem to vary even amongst some of the top lads. Some say dead depth, some say 2 inches overdepth, and some as much as a couple of feet.

Where do you stand on this one and why?

Top Draw[:)][:)]

midge99

Non of them are wrong it all depend on the venue and personal experiance all will work on their day

Top Draw

Midge,

I do realise that none of them are wrong as such, but I'm really interested in what anglers actually use on this forum as their starter rig with regards to the depth and the reasons behind their thinking.

Best Regards,

Top Draw[:)][:)]

bart4real

You will get too many foulhookers fishing overdepth. You need to get rid of your pole pots and don't cup in bait. Try loose feeding and get the fish used to competing for the grub. Feed the same as what you fish on the hook and avoid feeding things like micro pellet as carp becoome too preoccupied with them. More imporantly though.. fish half depth! There is no need top fish too far either. I tend to feed the inside by hand so I can feed when I anm playing fish.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
I am with Bart on this although I will always start off at dead depth and work upwards. Margins are just anotheer area of the swim and the same thoughts are required as if you were fishing at 14m.

midge99

I normally start at around 2" over depth. I feed my swim with pole cup and build it up over the match then go over it in the last 90 mins. If it is close enough I will feed by hand.
If I do foul hook a fish I will then start to shallow up starting aboout 2" off the bottom.

craig b

i fish dead depth and if possible i always feed by hand because i believe the noise of the feed also attracts the fish.

Thom

the only time i like to go over depth is if theres alot of tow other than this i will always fish just touching to start.

nathan2

Account Locked
Is it possible though to say use a paste rig at about 8-10 inches. Or is that too shallow to be fishing either with paste ot pellet?

peteblade

I fish a venue thats a foot deep in the margins and unless you fish six inch over with lots of float showing all you end up doing is foul hooking fish. Think all venues and situations can be different its a case of experimenting. The fish at my venue are 10-15lb in the margins and if you fish dead depth and strike at "bites" you end up foulhooking, you have to basically wait till they pull the laggy out.

JOHN_M

If I fish the margins usually there's a slope down to the level bottom.
I set my depth to half way up the slope and feed inside so that the feed rolls down the slope, seems to work for me.

ubat

On a slope, try fishing a little overdepth, and put the float right in the side, you are looking to lay the line down the slope, it cuts down liners & foulhookers.
As mentioned by John M, feed above your hook area for two reasons, the bait rolls down & the fish generally feed on the food lower down the slope first, but that might not be the case if you have two foot.

nathan2

Account Locked
what about a very shallow slope say 30 degrees, will theloose feed still make itsay down the slope?

Craigo

I generally fish a couple of inches overdepth - I only use bulk shot and dont use droppers - mainly cos margin swim is shallow anyway and also because Im expecting positive bites and dont need a dropper.

main thing for margin fishing IMO is to ensure lots of float is showing - shallow water = line bites and main thing is to distinguish proper bites from liners otherwise lots of lost fish and potentially spooking shoal from swim altogether. Dibber style margin floats have no place in my fishing - I like plenty of bristle showing.

If a margin swim is over 2ft and liners are a problem I will come up to as much half depth - lots of times catch fish up in water in margins and often results in more fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.