Commercial feeder

deck24m

Hi all

I am looking to buy a rod that is different than the ones I already have for commercial fishing. The feeder rods I have are:

MAP STI Parabolic feeder system
Greys Prodigy Barbel Rod

So I thinking if getting a 10ft feeder rod that is more customed to sending out a method feeder and catching high singles/low doubles.

I have read on here about the Drennan Acolytes but is there something cheaper to compare it to? I don't want to spend a fortune if I can help it as I am only a pleasure angler but will spend the money on something that will last. I bought a Diawa Tourney float rod a while ago for the same reason!

I know its all personal preference but is there anything cheaper than the Drennan that is worth considering?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The acolytes aren’t really designed for that sort of fishing really anyway so you might be better looking at Drennans vertex range. I’ve done no more than pick them up but they feel quite nice and are designed for commercials plus cost about 2/3 of an acolyte.

deck24m

Thanks Silverfisher

Appreciate your comments

When I say high singles/low doubles that won't be the main stamp, there will be alot of 5lb fish in this is well. And I will probably fishing around 20m out.

I will take a look at the Vertex range thanks.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I have Preston Supera rods and Free Spirit CTX, the Supera is a much better rod in my opinion. Stiffer blank and will handle the bigger fish with ease. Great at accurate casting, The CTX is a softer blank i feel , has a good action but i don't feel the blank gives me as much control of the fish as the Supera.

The Guru rods look nice but again i think have a very forgiving blank, The new Matrix Pro Commercial look nice, very slim blanks, not had any feedback from anybody on those yet. Most common rods in our match circuit seem to be Free Spirit CTX and Hi S or Daiwa Pro tournament.

I had Acolytes, really nice rods, don't think they give you control with the bigger fish as the blanks are very soft even in the plus models. great in open water but on tight island pegs hard to still the fish in there tracks, Supera will do that. I had 10,11 and 12 foot plus, sold all of those and replaced with the above. Other people rate them so again only my opinion. CTX rods i feel are very similar in action except the 11ft Power special in that range.

Hope that helps.

Silver fan 82

The Drennan Red Range are perfect for your style of fishing, very affordable and excellent quality for the price. Very underrated rods IMO. As good as some of the more expensive feeder rods available.

deck24m

Thanks Hitman

Thanks for the informative post. That's also given me something to read about.

There is about 50 quid difference between the CTX and the Supera, is the Supera noticabley better?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I still use the old Preston mini carp feeder rods in 10’. Does the job well in my opinion. Shame you are so far away in Bolton you could have borrowed one of mine and had a play. I’ve had a play with the supera and they are a lot more ‘ refined ‘ than my old versions. A bit more forgiving. I’d steer clear of the Tyson range though. My mate has had no end of tips break on him.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I feel the Supera overall is the better rod, i can't seem to get on with the CTX. The Supera blank like i said is stiffer, this allows me more options on casting longer distance, handles fish better if your casting towards snags or far banks. You mention you will be casting about 20 yards, have a look at the 9ft Supera.
The CTX i feel, again just my opinion is great for F1 fishing, smaller carp, skimmers and fishing in open water.

Example, last week fished a large venue, needed to cast 60 metres. Supera with 30g feeder no issues, same CTX rod was falling short. This was down to the softness in the blank.

deck24m

I still use the old Preston mini carp feeder rods in 10’. Does the job well in my opinion. Shame you are so far away in Bolton you could have borrowed one of mine and had a play. I’ve had a play with the supera and they are a lot more ‘ refined ‘ than my old versions. A bit more forgiving. I’d steer clear of the Tyson range though. My mate has had no end of tips break on him.
Thanks mate. Appreciate it.

deck24m

I feel the Supera overall is the better rod, i can't seem to get on with the CTX. The Supera blank like i said is stiffer, this allows me more options on casting longer distance, handles fish better if your casting towards snags or far banks. You mention you will be casting about 20 yards, have a look at the 9ft Supera.
The CTX i feel, again just my opinion is great for F1 fishing, smaller carp, skimmers and fishing in open water.

Example, last week fished a large venue, needed to cast 60 metres. Supera with 30g feeder no issues, same CTX rod was falling short. This was down to the softness in the blank.
Hi mate

It's 20m not 20 yards :)

Basically I need one of these supras I think. I know what will happen down the line if I don't (pardon the pun)

I will try to find somewhere near me so I can go and have a feel. What reel size do you pair this with?

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I use the 10ft supera , i change depending on the situation. Normally 320 Centris or Daiwa N zon 19Lt Plus if casting upto 25 metres, if i want to cast further into open water on Meadowlands for example i will use the 520 centris.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Caveat: I'm pretty inexperienced, so take this with a pinch of salt and get other opinions from more experienced anglers too.

I recently bought a Drennan Red Range 10ft Method Feeder rod, cost £50, which I've paired with a Preston Inertia 4000 reel (£50).

All seems to be good, I've landed several carp recently in the 8-10lb range.

Silver fan 82

Caveat: I'm pretty inexperienced, so take this with a pinch of salt and get other opinions from more experienced anglers too.

I recently bought a Drennan Red Range 10ft Method Feeder rod, cost £50, which I've paired with a Preston Inertia 4000 reel (£50).

All seems to be good, I've landed several carp recently in the 8-10lb range.
As I posted earlier in the thread mate I really rate these rods. What's your opinion Stewie?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
As I posted earlier in the thread mate I really rate these rods. What's your opinion Stewie?

For what my opinion is worth, I've found nothing not to like. It was recommended to me by the local tackle shop owner, over more expensive alternatives.

It casts well, and when I've had a fish on the other end it's reacted how I would expect it to.

Landed a few decent ones on it last week, so I'm more than happy with it.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
10ft Daiwa Yank n Bank is perfect for high singles and doubles up to near 20lb.

Just the right amount of steelyness for a carp feeder.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
If you’ve got the budget, go for the guru aventus, they’ve got loads of power in the blank, not soft, great casting rod, and you can even catch silvers on it,