Commercial Barbel

Line Clip

Just been going through our Club Card for 2021 year to find we have some matches booked on a commercial ( May, June, July )
that has a stock of Barbel as well as all the other usual species.
Apparently the Barbel are 2lbs---4lbs would they feed alongside the carp, or is there an area or feature that they prefer, also
what baits , ground bait, or loose feed, how about hemp etc.

Trent_Fisher

Just been going through our Club Card for 2021 year to find we have some matches booked on a commercial ( May, June, July )
that has a stock of Barbel as well as all the other usual species.
Apparently the Barbel are 2lbs---4lbs would they feed alongside the carp, or is there an area or feature that they prefer, also
what baits , ground bait, or loose feed, how about hemp etc.
Often catch them in the same swim as carp and silvers. Almost always on the deck but I’ve seen one caught on a floating dog biscuit before 🤯

Usual baits of pellet, meat, maggot etc will catch them. Have had them from the margin and open water. Unsure what they prefer.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've had a few barbel on local commercials in the last couple of years but no more than two in a session. I don't think they were heavily stocked in either of the waters though. It was in the warmer months & I caught them all on meat. Feeding micros & small cubes of meat in the margins.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve fished one lake a handful of times that had them. Was sort of an oblong shaped lake with a series of similarly shaped island that made it semi snake lake like. Used to catch them sort of down the track if you think of it like a canal fishing maybe an inch over depth to keep it still. Could catch them on maggots on colder days when the silvers weren’t too active but when they were small blobs of cheese paste or even better small cubes of meat both fished over maggots and a bit of meat used to work well.

Remember me and my dad had about 30 in the 2-5lb class one day doing that along with a few other fish. Remember it well as had a stinking hangover for some reason from the previous night out which is something I don’t tend to get often so it stuck in the mind!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
When Monk Lakes had them in match lake 2, the accepted method was Maggot on the deck, cupping Maggot as feed

had a couple of good days with a black cap maggot feeder and a short hooklength with triple maggot on the hook

they were in the pegs that had a more gravelly bottom, that came from the access ramps for the machines when the lake was dug out

they pulled the laccy a fair bit, you needed black hydro or similar for them

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I suppose it's whatever is fed in the lakes. Both our club waters have Barbel in and can be caught on most baits, but they seem to be caught more on luncheon meat and sweetcorn.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
There are a few commercials in the Northwest that have barbel in them .
I have had the just below the surface on slow sinking bread .They were like a shoal of hungry piranhas, carp never got a look in, One commie has one in to around 10lb,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They do seem to pull harder than the carp where I’ve caught them as well. Less likely to break you off as don’t seem to storm off with the same speed but seem to have more stamina so take longer to get in.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I hooked one through the whisker....it was only about 2lbs but not surprisingly, took a while to land!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
No, there isn't, shouldn't be in there anyway.......
And relax...
Usually shoaled up in areas of a lake, so not in all pegs. They have adapted in that setting to eat most of the bait going in and respond to usual commercial tactics, but i have found that maggots, specifically dead maggots are good when i have become a hypocrite and targeted them in matches or session on commercials.

One physiological aspect of the Barbel that i doubt won't change, or be impacted on/adapted to by the different environment of a commercial is that they are unlikely to feed in extreme cold water, but can be good sport and weight builders when conditions are favourable.

Know when you hooked one as it will stay low and go around in circles at your feet until it decides to give up.

Davethefish

Site Supporter
On the small commercial I fished that contained them, the majority were caught by the aereator.

Line Clip

I have had the just below the surface on slow sinking bread .They were like a shoal of hungry piranhas, carp never got a look in, One commie has one in to around 10lb,
Fished a match last year at a place called Marchamley Pools ,The owner ( top bloke ) asked how I was doing in the match, then went on to tell me
he had put in a 10lbs plus Barbel in the lake.
Later on in the match the angler in the next peg was attached to a fish that was no carp ( the carp go to 4lbs approx ) with elastic stretching
across the lake there was only going to be one winner .

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
When Monk Lakes had them in match lake 2, the accepted method was Maggot on the deck, cupping Maggot as feed

had a couple of good days with a black cap maggot feeder and a short hooklength with triple maggot on the hook

they were in the pegs that had a more gravelly bottom, that came from the access ramps for the machines when the lake was dug out

Peg 45 was THE Barbel peg on Lake 2 Mick and back in August 2006 I weighed in 100lbs 08ozs of them for 2nd place overall in the Maggotdrowning.com Southern Championship, which I was told by the bailiff at the time was the first ever "Ton of Barbel" that had be weighed in at the fishery in a match.

One thing I will say is that every Barbel I've caught from commercials has fought twice as hard pound for pound as the carp in them. ;)

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Most I have caught have been in the margins. Lindholme, caistor lakes,holmested Park etc . Therefore I will use meat or paste in the edge

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Whitmore has them, I’ve had them round 10lb. Once they get on it there’s nothing else getting on that feed. You can get through 4/5/6 pints of micros feeding the margins for them.

Paul.P

The ones in decoy seem to love being fed castors ( generally in the margins ), but catch on 2 or 3 dead maggots, i've also caught a lot of them in the summer up in the water on castor.

Carp attack

Fished for them at decoy and seemed best to target the margins tight to the bank or at side of your keepenets/platform,, dead maggots and hemp combo was best bait,,, heavy feeding, sometimes fished well over depth, no need for striking they just ragged the laggy out 😍😂 fantastic fights from them,,, such a strong fish,

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peg 45 was THE Barbel peg on Lake 2 Mick and back in August 2006 I weighed in 100lbs 08ozs of them for 2nd place overall in the Maggotdrowning.com Southern Championship, which I was told by the bailiff at the time was the first ever "Ton of Barbel" that had be weighed in at the fishery in a match.

One thing I will say is that every Barbel I've caught from commercials has fought twice as hard pound for pound as the carp in them. ;)
I drew 46 once and chucked a feeder to the outlet for em,

had Clive on 47 looking bemused at me thinking "how come that dozy sods catching and Im not", even stopped for a burger break with Muttley for half hour, still finished right up there

best day I had on em, they near all seem to have dissapered now,

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
they near all seem to have dissapered now,
It's a good 5 years since I fished it but I know some were netted and transferred to Lake 1 and some went into Bridges.
The gravel ramp that formed the bottom and attracted them into peg 45 had silt build up and they spread out around the whole of lake 2 after that. I remember Simon Hughes (the original owner) telling me in November 2004 that he had only stocked around 500 fish at around 4ozs originally so those numbers will have dwindled over time.