Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Any who frequent AN will have seen this but any who haven't - take a look and have your say.
quote:I was asked to scan and post the following article from a US newspaper. The gent who sent me the clipping was interested to see what comments it might get from UK anglers. So, here goes. Sorry about the print quality but to shrink it enough to post easily on here after scanning left it a bit difficult to read - but possible.

Newt Vail

Datafile.jpg Datafile.jpg

Edited by - Newt on 25 July 2002 06:15:49 AM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Nice one Newt!!!
icon_smile.gif

Don't worry, You'll get lotsa 'informed comments' and opinions soon!

Do the Scales on a 40lb Mirror blunt the arrows?

icon_smile_big.gif

cya

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Newt

As you know from when we've spoken before i have no real "problem" with bow fishing .

I'll freely admit it aggrivates me to think of those huge carp being slung up the bank or into a dumpster but thats the way things are in the states.

What a lot of people over here won't think of is the fact that carp are classed as a "trash" fish or "vermin" in the states, this is mainly due to them getting the blame for bad waters, whereas they are now learning that carp are actually good for waters that have no fish life in them due to the fact they can live in waters which aren't suitable for other species.

The carps "waste" helps make vegitation etc grow & so helps to "clean" & re-oxyginate the water, which is obviously an improvement & as such makes the water a better environment for other species to move in.

From what i've read & been able to make out, one of the first species to move into a water with a large carp population is the crappie, why this is i don't know.

The US game & wildlife commision is slowly begining to realise that the carp aren't bad for the water but quite the opposite, The tournament cousin Todd took part in last year proves this.

Bow hunting is an accepted way of life over there & we have no right in trying to force the US to abolish the method (i know some have tried) what these people forget is that the UK could nearly fit into one of your great lakes & the amount of waters you have over there means the carp population is tremendous compared to our little country & so the killing of carp will never actually affect the species as a whole.

BTW
Did you know that if you're caught putting a carp back in the water in Australia you are actually fined $2000 AUS??

Alan

Edited by - Trogg on 25 July 2002 07:28:35 AM

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have heard about this.

One question Newt, what happens to the carp afterwards.

If it is eaten then I personally don't have a problem with it, as long as it doesn't happen in this country. If it is done for pure sport and the fish are just thrown away then I do not agree with it.

I suppose every moron has to have his sport and I have given up trying to understand the American mind.

In Australia, if you catch a carp you have to kill it because it is considered vermin, (much like the average Australian then).

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Now that's an idea and would save me a fortune on buying groundbait icon_smile.gif

Its something I doubt will take off over here unless they start putting 'Nash' or 'Fox' on the arrows icon_smile_wink.gif

Each to their own I suppose. In parts of Asia and Africa villagers build their homes over the fish ponds. Their toilet waste is deposited straight into these ponds and is used to fertilize them which in turn creates nutrients. The nutrients feed the algae and plant life which in turn helps to feed the fish. The fish grow and become a valuable food source for the villagers and so the cycle continues....... Now that would be different if we tried that 'back home' icon_smile.gif

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thats funny Dave i heard they do the same thing in Yorkshire icon_smile_big.gif

Alan

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nope mate, you're getting confused again - thats the beer that you're thinking off icon_smile.gif

(That should save me and Stu a few pints extra on Friday, lol)

Dave

*** 'The Northern Fish-in' - are you supporting it? ***

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Geoff - one of my main objections to this particular form of recreation is the fact that most of the bow guys waste what they kill.

Even though it is against the law to simply leave a fish carcass (any species) on the bank, many do it - "anglers" as well as the bow folk. Seems like a stupid waste to me.

Keep em for bait or food or some other useful thing - OK. We do have good fish populations and the lakes/rivers can stand some fish being harvested without harm to the fishery.

Bow hunting tourneys which are popular in some areas of the US at least always make provisions to get some use out of the fish so are IMO less objectionable than the people who simply kill em and leave em.

This is one of those activities that I won't do myself but won't bash others for doing. OTOH, I can understand the feelings of many hard core US carpers (and there are some) and especially the reaction of many UK folk since this whole thing is so totally foreign to the way they are taught to think of coarse fish.

So far only the "early bird" posters on here have had a look at this thread and the reactions have all been very reasonable. I'll be interested to see if that continues though. Same with the thread when I posted it on AN. A couple of guys who just plain don't like the US or anything about us posted diatribes but in general the reactions were reasoned. Much different than what you would have seen even a year or two ago. I guess the internet does give us all a better feel for how things are done elsewhere and maybe a bit more tolerance.

Newt Vail

norm

NEWT

i don`t care if your from usa-england-stotland-wales -ireland-or asia

makes no diff to me

but i dont think that what you have posted is sport

it is blatant murder

and should be stoped A.S.A.P

IN MY OPINION IT IS AS BAD AS FOX HUNTING (my opinion and do not want to start another debate)

i wish i never had read that letter and did not know that it went on

icon_smile_angry.gif
WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Norm - thank you for a very honest reply. I'm sure there are many on here who very much agree with you but have remained mute for whatever reason.

Newt Vail

ray

newt, my first thought is "murder" as a fisherman and conservationist i am bound to think that.
my after thoughts are

1. do "bowmen" class themselves as anglers.
if they do portray themselves in that way then i would be seriously worried about the future of angling in general and would urge all angling associations to publicly make known there feelings on this matter before some anti group try and link our noble sport to this barbrism.

2. if the fish are a "pest" then why havent the authorities done something about it, there must be other options available other than allowing caveman style tactics.

3. have any angling associations/authorities tried explaining to the "bowmen" that if they are after sport then why not fish for the carp instead of killing them.

we will all have our own opinions but as has allready been said earlier, it is not my country so i will have respect there customs/practices. maybe they way to stop this is through education???

as an afterthought, i read quite often about commercial fisheries over here stocking lakes with 10/20,000 small carp to provide instant sport, what is going to happen in 10 years when they get bigger??

clean banks are your responsibility, take your rubbish home with you.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

norm

NEWT
WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO READ THAT LETTER MY FIRST THOUGHTS WERE WHEN IS THE PUNCHLINE COMING,I HONISTELY THOGHT IT WAS SOME KIND OF JOKE

RAY

SPOT ON WITH THE CAVEMAN BIT

IT MAKES ME SICK TO THINK THAT ITS GOING ON

(PS HAVE I SOME SORT OF VIRUS IT HAS TOOK ME 20 MINS TO WRITE THIS
WHEN I PRESS THE SPACE BAR LETTERS ARE BEING DELITED AND SOME TIMES WHEN I PRESS A LETTER A DIFF LETTER ALTOGETHERCOMES ON THE SCREEN)

AND CAN NOT PUT SPACES INBETWEEN SOME WORDS

WHO`S PEG CAN I CAST INTO?

Status
Not open for further replies.