Comments on the bank

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
A long time ago i was fishing a new fangled thing called a commercial fishery and a bloke came walking past me and said that i would'nt catch anything fishing like that according to him i had the wrong hook the wrong float the wrong bait the wrong rod !!
So i said well what do you suggest i use his reply was a bit mind numbing to me.
'' How should i know i've never fished in my life i'm just taking the dog for a walk''

Simon R

Site Supporter
Fishing a lake in Germany and this old bloke stops and starts chatting away in German.
"Sorry mate" says l and in my best pidgin German "ich bin ein Britisher, nich sprekkenzee doych matey"
Didn't stop him, chatted away for ages and then waved a cheery Auf weidersehen and trotted off for his pigs trotter and pickled cabbage. Not a clue what he said😁
I had a similar encounter fishing a big lake called Höllensteinsee, part of the River Regan in the far reaches of Bavaria way back in 1984.
This old chap was fascinated by my broken rod (I was fishing the swing-tip) and open-end feeder but I was catching nowt so couldn't demonstrate how it all worked.

He was trying to tell me where I was going wrong and with my schoolboy German and the universal language of anglers I figured out that I needed a bigger hook on, so snipped off the size 18 I had been using and tied on a size 12. Crammed as many maggots as possible onto the hook (probably about a dozen) and lobbed it back out again. Feeder had barely hit the bottom before the tip started bouncing and I got the first of 30-odd skimmers between 8oz and 2lb. I only packed in 'cos I ran out of bait and when I went back the following day the old boy was waiting for me and showing me the home-made swing tip he'd cobbled together - the only thing he didn't have was the rubber to form the link between rod and tip. I gave him one of mine - I only ever used the black one anyway - and a few minutes later he showed me the 2lb bream he'd just slid the net under using his home-made swingtip.

Simon

jimmcd

3am & I’m fishing away on my own. Suddenly a voice behind me “you don’t mind if we sit up there, do ya?” A group of large tanked up lads carrying bags of beer & pointing to a swim a few up with a picnic table. Crapping myself I replied “no bother but could you keep the noise down?”. They stayed to around 7:30 & I never heard a thing from them, other than a few laughs. They came down before leaving, asking the usual questions & took their empties away with them. So different from the usual yobs that gather there on a Saturday night (hence why I go on a Friday night)

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
I had a similar encounter fishing a big lake called Höllensteinsee, part of the River Regan in the far reaches of Bavaria way back in 1984.
This old chap was fascinated by my broken rod (I was fishing the swing-tip) and open-end feeder but I was catching nowt so couldn't demonstrate how it all worked.

He was trying to tell me where I was going wrong and with my schoolboy German and the universal language of anglers I figured out that I needed a bigger hook on, so snipped off the size 18 I had been using and tied on a size 12. Crammed as many maggots as possible onto the hook (probably about a dozen) and lobbed it back out again. Feeder had barely hit the bottom before the tip started bouncing and I got the first of 30-odd skimmers between 8oz and 2lb. I only packed in 'cos I ran out of bait and when I went back the following day the old boy was waiting for me and showing me the home-made swing tip he'd cobbled together - the only thing he didn't have was the rubber to form the link between rod and tip. I gave him one of mine - I only ever used the black one anyway - and a few minutes later he showed me the 2lb bream he'd just slid the net under using his home-made swingtip.

Simon
A nice read Simon👍

matt

Site Supporter
Fishing a match at Theale Pit years ago and a bunch of travellers had parked up all their caravans close by...... all the traveller kids were pestering us wanting to have bits of line, hooks and a go on our catapults....my mate was on the next peg to me and one of the kids went up to him and said “hey mister, where are you from?” To which he replied “I’m from Aylesbury, whereabouts are you from?”

To which the young lad replied “we’re from the M40 services but the police made us leave!” 😂

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've had various times when bod comes and sits/stands behind me to chat complete and total cack (as I'm sure we all have). We're all expert at just going 'yeah', 'uh-huh', etc as we carry on without paying any attention in the slightest. I remember a particular time when a lad came and sat behind me who regaled me with tales of 1lb gudgeon, 6lb roach without missing a beat. He talked garbage at me for about 2 hours, and I swear he didn't breathe in that time. I'd gone fishing (as we mainly do) to escape the world and I just remember nearly every fibre of my being, for two hours yelling "***************** OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!". Instead, I said 'uh-huh'.

BoldBear

Snotty nosed kid: “What fish are you expecting to catch in there mister?”
Angler: “Wogglies”
Snotty nosed kid: “Wogglies?; what on Earth do they look like?
Angler: “Dunno, haven’t caught any yet”

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I've had various times when bod comes and sits/stands behind me to chat complete and total cack (as I'm sure we all have). We're all expert at just going 'yeah', 'uh-huh', etc as we carry on without paying any attention in the slightest. I remember a particular time when a lad came and sat behind me who regaled me with tales of 1lb gudgeon, 6lb roach without missing a beat. He talked garbage at me for about 2 hours, and I swear he didn't breathe in that time. I'd gone fishing (as we mainly do) to escape the world and I just remember nearly every fibre of my being, for two hours yelling "***************** OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!". Instead, I said 'uh-huh'.
*shudders* that brings back bad memories :eek:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
On Lymm Dam , the pegs below the Church were very good,
The downside of fishing them was that the toilets on the road about 50 yards away were frequented by gentlemen of a certain " persuasion"
For those that fished the pegs they weren't sure if they were being chatted up in a roundabout way or genuine questions,

Before any sarky comments are posted ,I either fished opposite the church or further along the church shallows . 😃

MrBen

Site Supporter
The downside of fishing them was that the toilets on the road about 50 yards away were frequented by gentlemen of a certain " persuasion"
For those that fished the pegs they weren't sure if they were being chatted up in a roundabout way or genuine questions,

Before any sarky comments are posted ,I either fished opposite the church or further along the church shallows . 😃
That’s a very nice rod you’re holding, would you like to hold mine 😘😂😂

Foul hooked

Was sitting fishing the river where it goes through a public park the other winter. A lady strolled up and after exchanging the usual good mornings etc she asked if I would mind if she stayed and chatted for a while. Couldn’t really complain as it was a public place after all. Tbf she was no bother and seemed genuinely interested in what I was doing. Suddenly she burst into tears and thanked me just for being there to talk to and told me how her son had committed suicide a couple of days before. Apparently he had thrown himself under a train. Hadn’t got the heart to tell her that I worked on the railways.
Made me realise that sometimes people just need to talk and ever since I have tried to be a little more tolerant of the bank chatters. Sometimes they are just lonely people.

corkycat

One day last summer I was long-distance feeder fishing on Esthwaite Water, where the pegs are in a public amenity area. My chair was a few yards out into the margins. This woman comes along and starts talking to me, but no sounds coming out of her mouth, just mouthing the words silently, expecting me to be able to lip read (like they used to do in the old cotton mills). At first I thought she might be deaf-mute, but then she explained that she was aware that you have to be quiet when someone's fishing. "Very considerate of you" I told her, "But you can speak normally because I am fishing 50 yards out into the lake". "No you're not" she said, "You are only five yards away".

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Get the usual from friends who don't fish who may be walking locally-'don't you eat them then'?........

More often than not, aside from the dog walkers who have little choice to engage me in conversation after their dog starts running around and snaffling bait, with the 'oh hes just excited and playing' justification comments, my favorite on the bank is a person you can guarantee on some great 'humour' when i am Barbelling sometimes on a day ticket stretch we use sometimes.

'What *** **** are you sitting right up round here for?
'You on maggot?'.....Yes, 'You want to be on pellet'
'You on pellet?'...Yes, 'They have been catching on maggot'
'On small pellet?'...Yes, 'They have been catching on big ones'
'On small pellet?'....Yes.............

You get the idea. I have always said when Barbelling you need confidence on your side, more so when someone makes you doubt yourself.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter

They all say that.🥰. I bet the toilet peg was your favourite 🤣🤣🤣