Comments on the bank

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I was sitting quietly fishing and enjoying the sun on my back, when a shadow fell across me and my swim.
I gritted my teeth,
"What's fishing like 'ere?"
I told him it was pretty poor, mainly because of bankwalkers skylining me.
"I know what you mean," he said perfectly seriously.
"Some folk just have no consideration."

Total

Site Supporter
Fishing the pole on the Oxford canal a few months ago. probably fishing 9 1/2 metres.

A couple of mothers with their young kids are out walking. Usual 'hello' , 'did I catch anything', etc.

One mother comments 'my, its so long'...
My reply 'I only bought it to impress the girls'.

She is bright red, her friend is in stitches. I can hear them laughing as they walk on up the towpath.
Ya tart!:ROFLMAO:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Back when I used to fish the local park lake I'd usually get accosted at some point by one of the little cherubs who inhabit the area.
"Can I borrow a hook please Mister"
"Can you tie it on me line please Mister"
and invariably a few minutes later "Can I borrow some bait please Mister"

I actually carried with me for many years a box of Mustad 'Down Eyed Round' hooks in size 16 - rubbish hooks but got rid of the little scroates who, if they hung around too long, would get bored and start nicking stuff.

Simon

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Fishing a lake in Germany and this old bloke stops and starts chatting away in German.
"Sorry mate" says l and in my best pidgin German "ich bin ein Britisher, nich sprekkenzee doych matey"
Didn't stop him, chatted away for ages and then waved a cheery Auf weidersehen and trotted off for his pigs trotter and pickled cabbage. Not a clue what he said😁

Total

Site Supporter
Fishing a lake in Germany and this old bloke stops and starts chatting away in German.
"Sorry mate" says l and in my best pidgin German "ich bin ein Britisher, nich sprekkenzee doych matey"
Didn't stop him, chatted away for ages and then waved a cheery Auf weidersehen and trotted off for his pigs trotter and pickled cabbage. Not a clue what he said😁
So similar to listening to some of the folk down your docks then?:unsure:;):ROFLMAO:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Me and some friends would always fish Christmas day. Once someone stopped and chatted, and asked if we had caught anything, to which we replied yes. They seemed so surprised when they exclaimed, "What! on Christmas day?" I think they thought the fish had a day off on Christmas day.

62tucker

Site Supporter
“Would you like me to come and fish in your back garden”
As I was fishing a small river for trout that I had fished for 40 years.
Didn’t know the farmer had sold a house and field behind it. 🙈
So I crossed the river and carried on. Much to the annoyance of the stuck up Townie who thought he was now a country gent.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Could've been a Geordie Godber, it's hard to understand the Geordie, er, people?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not had many weird ones tbh most people seem fairly normal. One that did strike me as a bit odd last month was a bloke acting shocked when his dog ate a slice of my bread. He was like “I cannot believe he’s just eaten that” which had me thinking surely he can’t be surprised that a dog has just eaten some free food as the things are eating machines 😂

parkes

Fishing a local park lake back when I was about 16 or 17 with my girlfriend in tow, I spied a local chap who often stopped and had a chat approaching.
He stopped and perched himself on the grass bank to our rear and we chatted as usual about the usual everyday stuff including fishing.
All was well until he got on to talking about his photography skills. Wildlife, sport & trains were his attraction, each to their own I thought until he said "I have done many personal portfolio's too, very tasteful like. Do you and your lass a cheap price if you want".

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
A regular response I give to most questions is yes you're the twelfth today , turn and smile , turn back and keep fishing.

MrBen

Site Supporter
I had someone with a dog on a lead ask me if I thought it was cruel pulling fish in by their mouth. I replied with “did they think it was cruel pulling their dog about by it’s neck” as it was straining to be going somewhere else. They didn’t seem amused.

JLK

I had someone with a dog on a lead ask me if I thought it was cruel pulling fish in by their mouth. I replied with “did they think it was cruel pulling their dog about by it’s neck” as it was straining to be going somewhere else. They didn’t seem amused.
That reply is brilliant. 👍🏻

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Fishing the pole on the Oxford canal a few months ago. probably fishing 9 1/2 metres.

A couple of mothers with their young kids are out walking. Usual 'hello' , 'did I catch anything', etc.

One mother comments 'my, its so long'...
My reply 'I only bought it to impress the girls'.

She is bright red, her friend is in stitches. I can hear them laughing as they walk on up the towpath.
You said said she was looking at your bread punch ...

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Was fishing a match on a local park lake. I'd hooked a carp & my rod was bent double as I was trying to land it. Some passer-by commented "Who's fooling who, here?"

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Had spent an afternoon & evening fishing and was planning on fishing into the night on a lake near Cwmbran when I was approached and propositioned by a female of somewhat dubious character.

As I was in my very early twenties and far less worldly than I probably should have been I gathered up all my kit and bolted for the car :ROFLMAO: