Comments on the bank

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Other than the usual things like being asked, "do you put them back or eat them?", what has been said to you on the bank by non anglers?

When I was on the Severn this Autumn, a group of walkers walked behind me and their dog ran down the bank. The woman said, "I'm sorry, don't catch the dog." I replied "Don't worry. I won't."

What made me laugh though was about 2 or 3 hours later, the same group were walking back on the other side of the river, and the old bloke said in a surprised and startled way.

"That fisherman is still there!".

I suppose it was Autumn and pretty cold but I was catching a few Chub that day. He would have been even more surprised at the 12 hour sessions I can do in summer.

What has been said to you by non anglers on the bank that either made you laugh or otherwise.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I own a dog, but I have had more than enough of hearing dog walkers cry "Sorry!" as their lumbering menace of an animal crashes into my swim/eats my lunch/eats my maggots/shakes itself all over me (delete as appropriate).

One woman WATCHED ON as her thick hound wolfed down maggots from my bait waiter while I stood with rod in one hand, fish on the end and net in other hand :mad:

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I've had a few sensible ones.
"Do different fish prefer different bait".
"What sort of fish is that".
"How long can a fish live out of the water?"
"Does the weather make a difference?"

James5769

I’ve been offered wacky baccy on the bank more than once by people passing by, not my thing but would like to know why I give off that impression 😂
I was fishing York City Centre once and a couple began talking very loudly saying fishing was a disgusting blood sport and began to take pictures of me and say how awful of a person I must be. I was annoyed, ruined my day completely. I’m 21 and just want to annoy my day in peace and you have people like that who have no idea of the sport passing judgement on it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've been asked many times in the past...

Why bother to catch them if you just chuck them back?

So I can catch them again another day was my answer.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I’ve been offered wacky baccy on the bank more than once by people passing by, not my thing but would like to know why I give off that impression 😂
I was fishing York City Centre once and a couple began talking very loudly saying fishing was a disgusting blood sport and began to take pictures of me and say how awful of a person I must be. I was annoyed, ruined my day completely. I’m 21 and just want to annoy my day in peace and you have people like that who have no idea of the sport passing judgement on it.
Just ask them if they eat fish and if so do they know what those fish go through to get to their plate? Dragged from the water with no choice in the matter, dumped on a deck where they begin to suffocate then get gutted while alive.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Probably the funniest was from a young child. Mate and myself fishing a lake in a park when family walked by and we heard the smallest one say "Look dad, wiggaly waggits." We always referred to them as wiggaly waggits after that.

That was the day we nearly got landed on by a squirrel falling out of a tree.

The lake is famous having been featured in many films because it is alongside Pinewood studios. I even recognised in a scene of 47 Ronin, the one when they are bathing in a lake.

adriang

Site Supporter
Fishing the pole on the Oxford canal a few months ago. probably fishing 9 1/2 metres.

A couple of mothers with their young kids are out walking. Usual 'hello' , 'did I catch anything', etc.

One mother comments 'my, its so long'...
My reply 'I only bought it to impress the girls'.

She is bright red, her friend is in stitches. I can hear them laughing as they walk on up the towpath.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I had a bloke stand near me on the canal , chatted a while , he was there over an hour watching me fish .Then says as he is walking away " I don't know how you have the patience to do that "
Yeah that is bizarre, he wouldn’t have the patience to fish but he’s got the patience to stand there for over an hour.

Some weird folk about, I’ve had a bloke stand behind me on the canal before. It was about 7am on a Sunday morning. He just stood watching me fish, felt really uncomfortable so I tried to make conversation. You know, just comments about the fishing, asked him if he was an angler etc… got nothing back at all, not a single word! He must have been there for over an hour before saying “see ya later” then marched off.