Comfy work boots

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
I have always worn steel toe cap boots in most jobs I have had but have never really found any which are comfortable. I can't wait to take them off at the end of a day.
Has anybody got any recommendations of any which are suitable for building site work which are somewhat comfortable? Fully waterproof and made to last are important. The pair I have now are a £60 pair of dickies and although they feel well built i can't wait to take them off.
I struggle as I'm a size 14 and not every style are available in my size.
Any particular brands to recommend?
Price not really an issue as i spend most of my day in them so I want the best. Can't really wear trainer types on the sites im working on and rigger boots are not allowed.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
After a brief period wearing some cheap Hoggs of Fife safety boots, I bit the bullet and coughed up for some decent boots. After a lot of reading and a dollop of previous experience of the brand's military boots, I went for Haix Airpower XR3s (there are a few alternative models). No hint of wet feet until they are close to being destroyed. Comfy as hell, the most comfortable boots of any kind (not just safety boots) that I've owned. No steel in them, composite toe caps and footplates, so they don't get cold and stay cold. I've had two pairs in seven years, though it must be said, I tend to work seasonally, not all year round (usually between 3 and 6 months each year). I'm probably due a new pair if I actually get any work this year. Despite the high price, I'll have no problem paying it again. The biggest issue is that Brexit is likely to affect the price if you can't find any from a UK source (the link is not a UK source).

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
You know what they say about men with big feet ..........big shoes
Can I have your old pair. I’ll leave them on the doorstep with a couple of used gun cartridges.
It’s the steel sole that kills all safety boots. It’s to stiff. You’ll never find a comfy pair.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Dewalt bolster safety boots from Screwfix go up to a size 14 Danny. I’ve got some size 10’s and they are very comfy and look good as well.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I have always worn steel toe cap boots in most jobs I have had but have never really found any which are comfortable. I can't wait to take them off at the end of a day.
Has anybody got any recommendations of any which are suitable for building site work which are somewhat comfortable? Fully waterproof and made to last are important. The pair I have now are a £60 pair of dickies and although they feel well built i can't wait to take them off.
Any particular brands to recommend?
Price not really an issue as i spend most of my day in them so I want the best. Can't really wear trainer types on the sites im working on and rigger boots are not allowed.
See my review ’Warm Fishing Boots’ on the army surplus Iturri Combat Boot

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Work supply pretty much any boot we want but the favourite by far are the Millstone Challenger

Safety toe caps, midsole protection (mandatory on our site), waterproof, warm and very hard wearing too without breaking the bank.

In the summer we all switch to the lighter weight trainer version that are excellent too.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Another vote for the DeWalt boots... they were the ones we got at work... comfy from the off and even good on my motorbike... at 40 quid they ain't the cheapest, but I usually find cheap boots are cheap for a reason...

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Being a wide footed size 14 as well, the struggle is hard

found these about 5 years ago, took the plunge and bought them, they have been a relevation,

light, comfortable, goretex lined, composite rather than steel

can be bought on E-bay cheaper than stockist shops, lots of different style, hi boots low boots, side zips or laces

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
Thank for all your replies. Will be having a proper browse through at the weekend of your recommendations when I have abit more time. While we're on the subject can any one recommend any socks which make the boots feel more comfortable?

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Thank for all your replies. Will be having a proper browse through at the weekend of your recommendations when I have abit more time. While we're on the subject can any one recommend any socks which make the boots feel more comfortable?
These are good and go up to your size.

JLK

Timberland Pro Split Rock.

Best boots I've ever worn for work.

Light weight steely comfy and your feet don't drink to high heaven after a hard day's slog. They are like hiking boots too.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Surprisingly, I find the cheap Titan boots comfortable and the JCB boots were good too. Neither waterproof though and as I now work outside occasionally, I’m following this with interest.

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
Timberland Pro Split Rock.

Best boots I've ever worn for work.

Light weight steely comfy and your feet don't drink to high heaven after a hard day's slog. They are like hiking boots too.
Didn't know timberland did safety boots. I have had some comfy Timberland boots over the years. Still got some somewhere.

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
Surprisingly, I find the cheap Titan boots comfortable and the JCB boots were good too. Neither waterproof though and as I now work outside occasionally, I’m following this with interest.
The boots I have got now are solid, waterproof and look they will last. They were the most expensive boots dickies did in my size. It might be because of the size of them that they don't feel too comfy and are heavy for me. I been walking around a site where there's plenty of water in places and my feet are bone dry. With abit of luck, in a couple weeks, I'm used to them and then they don't bother me.
I was hoping somebody was going to recommend something extra special for me on here. I haven't been able to look at all the recommendations yet though. 12 hours a day I'm spending in them so even if it costs me a full week's wage I would buy them if it made me comfortable and was worth it.