Collecting Lobworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lid

I'm fed up with paying 8 for 50 lobs, or even more when like today only packs of 10 at 2 each are in stock!!

What's the best way to collect lobworms please? I live near a nice cricket pitch and I seem to remember reading somewhere once that I should collect them at night using a red filter on my torch. Is this right and how do I stop them from scurrying back down their holes? Should I try walking backwards perhaps? Does thudding lightly on the ground help?

Please help. Thanks.

Lid [:)]

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Hi Lid! [:)]

Best way to collect lobs of of grass is usually after a bought of rain as this encourages them to come to the surface, grass should be short and well cut, if it has not rained for several days then it will be more difficult. If you can hose an area all well and good, if not then it's best to try another area.

A small torch is all you need, or if there are street lights nearby these will sufice. Tread carefully making sure you don't clump about, when spotting a worm, establish which end is still in the ground, and gently but quickly place your thumb on it to stop it from crawling back into the ground, grab the other end and apply pressure on the worm to remove it from the ground, DO NOT TUG HARD, as all this will do is rip the worm in half!!

All this will come to you with experience.

ABOVE ALL LET SOMEONE WHO LIVES NEARBY, OR WHOSE GRASS YOU INTEND TO WORM, KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT, OR YOU COULD END UP IN THE BACK OF A POLICE CAR LIKE I DID ONE NIGHT!!! [:0][:I][:I][:I][:D]

Also after/while it rains for some reason worms tend to congregate at the bottom of street lights that are mounted on grass verges.

Also you will find that on wet nights for some reason worms will cross tarmac paths from the grass one side to the grass on the other this is another opportunity not to miss

Datafile2.asp

Steve
Born To Fish
Forced To Work

Last edited:

Trevski

If its your own lawn or whatever you can do it in broad daylight.

Just get a garden fork and stick it into the ground and then wiggle the handle and/or
strike the handle with something solid to vibrate it (rubber handled forks are useless for this).

You should find (esp when the ground is damp) that they'll come straight up to the surface!

Cheers,

Trevor.
World Worm Charming Champion (Heaviest Worm) 2001.

(I kid you not!)

martin.

Account Locked
8 FOR 50 LOBS BL**DY HELL
i must use about 100 quids worth a week without the redworms, maggots & casters
thank god i never buy them
anyway back to question
i normally wait till about 1 in morning to collect them on thew local playing field after a bit of rain i use a headtorch with a couple of layers of red polythene ovr the lens the type that a carrier bag is made from.
by that time in the morning they are normaly completly out of the hole laying on top & its not unusualto find 2 bonded together
when i get home i put them in shreded newspaper& slightly dampen it used an atomiser spray with wateri would look at getting about 250 in a normal evening spending up to an hour to collect this amount.
after a very heavy rain & calm warm night i would say 500 lobs in 1 1/2hrs is not impossible
a little hint i take a small amount of sand with me & just dab my fingers in it it helps stop worms sliding through your grip without putting to much pressure on

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile3.asp

talk fishing flip football

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
simple, go to a school playing field or a football pitch and use a torch or headlamp but make sure that the batteries are a bit dead, grab hold of the worm and hold on, dont pull, after a few seconds you can feel the worm retracting and you can pull the other half out of the ground! i once got 500+ worms in one night!(this is the sick bit!) i used a hand blender on the worms and made a worm soup and added damp leam to it, i have never and i mean never found a better bait for small perch and i won 5 winter league rounds using the bait and no one could figure out what it was! need a strong stomach though! the blender kept stopping cos the worm sections kept clogging he blades!

Browning Hotrods

Lid

Thanks for all your help folks. I'll give it a try, but I'd better ask the cricket club first though, lol. By the way the ones you buy in the shops or even mail order are usually imported from Canada where they are regarded as a pest!!
Lid [:)]

Last edited:

ken age 63

' Gin & Tonic '
if i ever wanted some worms on the quick, i would mix a drop of washing up liquid in a bucket of water and pour it on the lawn,that seems to fetch a few up,Trever sounds like the bloke to listen to,Gingert dont offer me one of your cakes aaarh,

A river is water in its loveliest form ;;

ANJIEJON

soapey water works 4 me 2 but not in the same league only 20 -30 but thats all i needed

JOHNDEARN

scouse_lee

evertonian
black bin liner held down with stones poor water over it and onto the floor,
next morning the worms will be their for you ready, and you havent ponsed around looking like a twit tapping the ground pretending its raining, well thats wot you tell the secuirity gaurd when he asks you wot your doin on a cricket pitch at night!!!

mookie

mookie
[:D][:D][:D]

Scouse lee had the same thought as me....but a bit of ol carpet put on the lawn and watered....ie while raining....the worms should be underneath in the morning.....

Or in the pub if its raining..lol

MOOKSTER...[:D][:D][:D]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The washing up liquid works fine BUT the worms must be well rinsed off to remove all the washing up liquid as this will kill them if it isnt done.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
plus i dont think fish like the taint of washing up liquid! also it doesnt need to rain to get them up! there are loads of damp summer nights, god knows how many worms i have collected over the years but a footie pitch is still the fav place for me! either way loads of methods work!

Browning Hotrods

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
So how long can you keep them for?
I presume they need moisture and leaves or something. Can you keep a worm farm somehow?
I have a couple of raised vegetable beds in my garden, which are currently utilsed to grow champion weeds.
Can I keep these highly concentrated with worms I collect somehow?
Wouldn't half be handy to know I could easily get a few dozen at any time.

Jason

Br
Jason

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i have found it a bit tricky to keep lobs for any lenghth of time, keep dendras for years and redworms but i dont bother keeping lobs, just go and pick sum more when i need them!

Browning Hotrods

scouse_lee

evertonian
blimey lads if you cant keep your worms how on earth do you expect to keep your girls...

its simple if you have a garden then get yourself a compost heap, the worms never leave. i have an old bin with holes drilled everywere in it. put your old kitchen stuff ie teabags potatoe pealings and start of with a few worms (cold mash is supposed to be top worm food,
dont put kitchen waste on compost though as it brings in rats and such..

a bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

davo

Flippin heck, i bet you never knew there was so much to know about worms and there collection!!!!!!! here is another one i used to put a wet towel on the grass over night and when you go fishing next morning - hey presto, lob city!

ken age 63

' Gin & Tonic '
any one got a second hand road breaker,the grounds so blozzdy hard here at the moment,i couldnt get a fork in the ground even if i hit it with a sledge hammer,so i wonder how deep the worms got down??

A river is water in its loveliest form ;;

Status
Not open for further replies.