Collecting Fishery Pellets

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just been into my man cave to sort my gear out for tomorrow - took the unused Lindholme's pellets out and replaced them with Alders farm pellets. On my bait shelf I must have pellets for at least four different fisheries, and then separate manufacturer's pellets which can't be used at most of the places I fish.

What does everyone do with their collections, surely they must have a shelf life, especially once the bag has been opened?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don’t have a collection, don’t fish many places that have that rule. I have two lots of fishery pellets at home, if I do go somewhere as a one off and not likely to go back, or at least, not for months, I just use the pellets up at another fishery.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Same as @mickthechippy, except I use the ground down pellet and make paste from it. I also sprinkle some in the odd place at the club waters, when mixed with ground up peanuts and a splash of aniseed oil, it's a good rat bait.

Dusty

I just keep mine in a large sealed tub In a cupboard and use them as and when I go back to that fishery, never noticed anything wrong with ones that have been opened a while.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If you put them all in the same tin can you tell the difference?:cautious:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Yes as some use different manufacturer's pellets. Others mix in a coloured pellet.

Zerkalo

I often mix fishery micro pellets with groundbait on the bank and have started freezing it when I get home, this leaves me with several tubs of frozen groundbait for each fishery. Pellets I have left over go into sealed tubs similar to above.

At least it encourages me to go fishing again before the groundbait goes off. Never noticed pellets on their own go off.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
A fishery I use allows other fisheries pellets if they are same brand or if he knows tackle shop you got that brand from, He says he would rather lose a couple of quid on a bag of pellets and gain a few quid on day tickets when word gets round that he does this. Others insist you buy their pellets,

Northantslad

'Any indications?
A fishery I use allows other fisheries pellets if they are same brand or if he knows tackle shop you got that brand from, He says he would rather lose a couple of quid on a bag of pellets and gain a few quid on day tickets when word gets round that he does this. Others insist you buy their pellets,

Refreshing approach that, fair play to him.
He probably knows that many buy a bag and either just leave it on view as 'proof' or just use them everywhere anyway, a rule in place in his recognition of this and not just the old money making thing. Give that fishery owner, fishery owner of the year award.

rudd

Site Supporter
I've just been into my man cave to sort my gear out for tomorrow - took the unused Lindholme's pellets out and replaced them with Alders farm pellets. On my bait shelf I must have pellets for at least four different fisheries, and then separate manufacturer's pellets which can't be used at most of the places I fish.

What does everyone do with their collections, surely they must have a shelf life, especially once the bag has been opened?
20kg of skettering lasts me a couple of years, never fished anywhere where I have had to use fishery pellets.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
theres only two producers of pellets anyway

either skretting or coppens, any fishery pellets are normally a varient of these, some are coloured, some are just plain

even 90% of the bagged named pellets start off as coppens or skrettings

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Refreshing approach that, fair play to him.
He probably knows that many buy a bag and either just leave it on view as 'proof' or just use them everywhere anyway, a rule in place in his recognition of this and not just the old money making thing. Give that fishery owner, fishery owner of the year award.
It Lloyds Meadow Fishery near Frodsham, warrington Cheshire, owners name is Danny they take match bookings and put breakfast barms on if requested if book a match.Brilliant fishery

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
theres only two producers of pellets anyway

either skretting or coppens, any fishery pellets are normally a varient of these, some are coloured, some are just plain

even 90% of the bagged named pellets start off as coppens or skrettings
That is why he does it Mick, I had some black 2mms ,not seen any for ages, but let me use them

Oldmech

Site Supporter
Once the bags are open I keep them in plastic containers with sealed lids we go to about 5 different venues where it's fishery own pellets but have had some a couple of years and they keep ok, just remember to put a sticker on the box so you know which are which.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Anglers can use any pellet on the club waters, not tied to any particular make, or shop.