Collecting and storing Lobworms

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What's the best way of storing Lobworms for future use?

BoldBear

Damp Spagnum Moss from a garden centre keeps worms in pristine condition for a few days if not a lot longer.
They use it for lining hanging baskets and it’s quite cheap to buy.

If I want a continual supply of redworm or dendro’s or lobworm I fill a large bucket with alternate layers of soil and Spagnum moss and keep a few slices of apple and a few potato peelings on the surface, and store it on my garage floor where it keeps nice and cool. The larger the bucket the better it is.

Every few months I refresh the contents with fresh layers of soil and Spagnum Moss.
I’m not sure why but don’t ever return any broken worms to your wormery as that is a sure way to kill off the rest.

Whenever I need some worms I just temporarily remove some of the slices of apple and potato peelings and there will usually be lots of worms that were all feeding off the apple slices and.potatoe peelings.

Keith

Last edited:

adrian john tas

Site Supporter
Used to collect lobworms from central reservation of a short piece of dual carriageway sure the vibrations used to bring them to top

clare

I keep mine in the bag they come in feed with t bags and banna skins every few days and keep soil moist

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

I decant out of the white tub they come in into a black Drennan tub. I then feed them mash when we have it, banana, cucumber, or used tea bags. I store the tub in a dark corner of our cellar on a cold floor 👍🏻

@Dave just ordered 50 for the Aire next week. Either two days in Bingley or I might have a day in Leeds near Whitehall Quays or below at Direct Line 🤔