Colemans - Old Stepfield

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
So following on from a week of hell last week i was looking forward to the match today which was my brothers fishing team xmas match, so i took along a very nice bottle of my favourite whisky and joined 14 others for the match, this was the same lake as last weeks match where i was on peg 8 and since then i have been to see a osteopath and packed a little pellet shovel feeder for fishing at 16m+

I was drawn peg 14 this week and the water was really clear but a couple of fish topped whilst setting up, had a nice margin depth so that was attacked with corn and a few micros (same as last week and worked really well so hoping it would today) then shelf at 2 plus 2 with micros and expanders in around 4.5ft of water, pellet shovel for far bank and then 2 plus one for maggot late in the match!

Set up and not a twinge of pain so vast improvement over last week!

All in so little ball of micros and 4 grains of corn on the margin line, couple of dips but then nothing, peg 12 to my right had 3 quick fish fishing across as did the bloke on 16 to my left but i wanted to give it a little while and feel my way in and after around 5 mins the float vanished and a lift resulted in...... thin air! so back out again, fed again but nothing, no movement, no dips no nothing so 15 mins in i fed a ball of micros on 2 plus 2 as the blokes either side had not caught since their first fish!

Out to there and unusually for here (i am told) i had to keep lifting and dropping to get bites and a mix of roach and small F1s started coming to my net and nothing frantic but 15lb in 45 mins ment it was ok, i tried loose micros and off the deck as i was getting lots of liners but i couldnt catch anywhere else than on the deck lifting and dropping though 2 times i left it to sit and after a decent wait of 5 mins or so i would get a bite and a small carp rather than a F1, bokes either side were not fishing 2 plus 2 and were not catching faster than me so i was happy to tick along leaving my far line but the second hour was really dire, and i added maybe 10lb for around 25lb but it was dying and then dead, had to keep dropping in past, left and right of where i was feeding but it was clear it was hard and to make matter worse i lost 3 good fish, just hook pulls and no idea why was i was playing then as normal but such is fishing.

Bloke to me left was now on a 13m line and having very odd fish and bloke to my right was still catching on 2 plus 2 and probably 15lb ahead of me, so picked up my tip rod, 3 reds on a 16 and a tiny shovel feeder and over it went and as i put the rod under the water to sink the line it was nearly ripped from my hands! F1 number 1 came in and out again and round it went again, i tried burying the hook but loads of taps and no wraps so hookbait was left free and it was working and for teh next hour by alternating 2 spots across i caught carp and f1s consistently, and i reckon i was now on 45lb but it was getting harder, tried target hookbaits and also the rain was overwetting my micros which i think was the real problem but it was peeing down and i was protecting them as much as i could.

whilst on the tip, after my second fish the guy to my right did the same as me but he caught less frequently but his fish were carp and much bigger than mine! he had a full method on and its amazing as it was making a hell of a splash but was working for him and my tiny little plop feeder caught smaller fish, we was using red maggots as well for hookbait so not sure what else to put it down to! bloke to my left had 2 chucks on the tip then put it away again.

so going into the last 90 minutes, i am enjoying myself and on 45lb with the method now dead and the bloke to my right at least 25lb ahead of me so time for 2 plus 1 maggot and as ive seen on here before you do not feed 10 or 12 maggots, its 30 or 50 every cast so i tried my margin which i had been feeding with corn as i started feeding short and nothing though the guy to my right had 2 big lumps quickly from there, and after 10 mins i went onto the maggot line praying it went under and it did but it was a roach, then a roach and just as i was losing hope a F1! then a few more roach and then a F1, it was odd as you had to feed constantly but you could only catch on the bottom, any bait falling too slow a roach would snaffle but i was getting liners and everything, tried up in the water and roach again but i found the exact spot when i needed to be and every time i got there i would have a F1 or a carp, took me too long to find it though but i finally worked it out with 30 mins to go and in teh last 30 mins i put another 20lb in the net, the fish were there before but i was in the wrong place and fishing it wrong! learn for next time!!!!!

so guy to my right easily beat me and was first in our section, he had a bad last hour but had 87lb (80 something), i put 65 something on the scales, bloke to my left had 45lb, then the two next to him i couldnt see but they both had 90+ and 117lb for 1st and second in the match, the guy to my right was 3rd and i wont the second and £30 by tripple default! i was 7th overall i think.

only the 3rd time i have fished this lake, its pretty different to others i have fished and i def had the chance to get second but im learning and im adjusting and looking forward to more matches!

Hope the above isnt too boring and my back was great all teh way through the match which is the biggest thing i am thankful for!

bettsfan

A good read thanks and good to hear the back is improving. Good weights bearing in mind the conditions yesterday.

Been some years since I fished their but they always liked a moving bait. Was told to let bait hit bottom and then lift 2-3 inches every 30 seconds max. I hadn't experienced that before either but seeing is believing! Shame the margin didn't produce either as that could have added 20-30lb as well.

Sounded like a good day all round :)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
there was a match on new stepfield with just 8 anglers i think but 156lb came last! 4* 200lb weights which is just unimaginable for this time of year

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Great write up ginger especially with the commentary about what the anglers either side of you were doing.... (y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Great write up - match fishing is a big learning curve and you are doing a grand job, each session getting better and more techniques getting nailed.

Good luck for the next one