Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All,

Received by e-mail:
quote:hi dave,
could you or any fishing friends tell me please what fuel goes in a coleman cl lamp.
it looks like a parrafin/petrol lamp. (it has a filler/stocker/hi-low/and mantle.)
but the label just says use coleman fuel ??
thanks very much,
mark.

Help me out with this one if you have any knowledge or experiences on Coleman Lamps and the fuel that they use.

Regards, Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Coleman fuel is the same as lighter fuel only in a slightly bigger can!

You can get away with using unleaded petrol although this obviously isn't quite as refined.

Decent outdoor/camping shops will sell the coleman stuff but you will pay a big price just cos its got the coleman logo on it.

Alan
insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over

Frank

Dave,
I still have a Coleman lantern that I bought in 1979 and I've been using unleaded fuel in it since I ran out of the first gallon of Coleman fuel that I bought and I have never had a problem over this time.

Coleman fuel is supposed to be more refined and at twice the price of unleaded, it should be. I suppose its a matter of how often you are going to use it. For occasional use, the price difference might be worth paying as a gallon will last you a long time. Mine gets used in the shed and greenhouse regularly.

Frank

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All,

I've just received this e-mail from Coleman's Customer Services:-

Dave,

I will be honest and tell you that if it calls for Coleman Fuel, then that is what you should use if available. IN GREAT BRITAIN, THE EQUIVALENT TO COLEMAN FUEL WOULD BE "SHELL OIL SPB4". IT CAN BE FOUND AT A SHELL SERVICE STATION. Our dual fuel products are designed to specifically use both unleaded and Coleman fuel. However! If your consumer has a CLX, CL2, or CL1, then it is to use Coleman Fuel only. You can run the risk of ruining the inside of your fuel tank. What happens is that the harsh additives will eat away at the inside of the tank. The Coleman Fuel has a low octane rating of around 40-50.

I will say that in emergency situations, where you do not have an option, you could use unleaded fuel. When using such fuel, you will also take the chance of carboning up your generator quicker than normal.

Thank you,

Rick W.
Coleman Consumer Service
1-800-835-3278

I hope this clarifies a few things

For more information try www.coleman.com

Dave

mark g

hi all,
thanks very much for your reply's on the coleman lamp fuel.
we're not sure what number it is ?
but it is certainly a cl model.
i was not sure about the fuel, cos it didn't have the petrol pump emblem on the filler like the newer ones have.
can i take it then that it shouldn't be too risky to fill up with unleaded ?
we might get to try it out this weekend after all !!!
thanks again,
mark.
p.s. having just been to coleman site, their is a picture of one that looks exactly the same ! (1 mantle type).
Mark.

Edited by - mark g on 21 November 2001 11:32:08 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.