Coleman Dual Fuel Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluntbaby

Ive just bought one of these stoves, can anybody whose got one let me know how Leak Proof they are? Im trying to decide whether to fuel it up and stick in my Rucksack or keep fuel seperate in a Sigg bottle which obviously takes up space. Thanks

davebike

I have used one for a couple of years there can be a smell of fuel but I never seen a leak I keep mine in original plastic storage bin they supplied and more recently a zipped padded stove bag both within a holdall and never has the holdall smelt of fuel I use unleaded :))
Best bit of kit the stove kettle and supplies is much better than flasks

SteveBinns

Ive used the coleman stove on numerous occasions fr fishing and when on ops in the armed forces if you fill them to their limit then there is a possibility you will get leackage from the jets. I keep mine in the metal container i purchased with it, it also doubles up as a cooking pot so even if you get a slight leak it contains it in the pot.

Hope ive been of some help

steve

davebike

Read the instructions :))
Just make sure you pump it as much as the say and even a bit more
Oh and don't lean over it when lighting !

greentura

Greenie
don't light it inside your bivvey, get it out in the open as it can send flames quite high until the generator tube us fully heated. don't put anything on it untill the flame is blue or it'll be covered in soot on the bottom.

probably the fastest way to boil a kettle there is and much cheaper than gas stoves.

had my peak-1 lightweight for just over 10 years with just a service kit needed now and then[:T]

bluntbaby

Originally posted by greentura

don't light it inside your bivvey, get it out in the open as it can send flames quite high until the generator tube us fully heated. don't put anything on it untill the flame is blue or it'll be covered in soot on the bottom.

probably the fastest way to boil a kettle there is and much cheaper than gas stoves.

had my peak-1 lightweight for just over 10 years with just a service kit needed now and then[:T]

I like big flames[:D][:p]

I'll be using it on the beach and rocks in cornwall, so no messing about in bivvys, its mainly for bacon and tea during the night sessions so should fit the bill

Dave, I dont do instructions, I do fiddling, cursing like mad then having a fit and vowing to never use the bloody thing again[8D]

Thanks again.

davebike

>> I dont do instructions, I do fiddling, cursing like mad then having a fit and vowing to never >> use the bloody thing again

Ah a potential source of a spare stove :))

Just pump it well at least 20 times and it will go fine but keep your head back when lighting until your used to it! you don't want to lose your eyebrows !

jacksdad

Dont overfill it! needs air gap to work,my mate torched his alarms and reeds in his swim..lmao!

breadflake

Site Supporter
sod the fishing [:D]

201051822392_food.jpg

bluntbaby

Originally posted by davebike

>> I dont do instructions, I do fiddling, cursing like mad then having a fit and vowing to never >> use the bloody thing again

Just pump it well at least 20 times and it will go fine but keep your head back when lighting until your used to it! you don't want to lose your eyebrows !

Light use only, one crispy owner!

Just a quick one dave, you mention a plastic storage bin. I didnt have one in the box, just a ziplock bag for the funnel. Any ideas if I should have done? Or was yours an aftermarket job?

davebike

The plastic bin was standard 10+ years ago ! the are lots of "stove Bags" out there I think I paid 7 on ebay :))

bluntbaby

Ahhh, fair enough then. I'll see how I get on with it, then look for a bag if needed. Cheers

greentura

Greenie
Originally posted by davebike

there stands the voice or experience[;)]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Will these stoves work with other gas bottles etc. or do you have to buy Coleman`s own brand?

bluntbaby

They run on bog standard unleaded petrol Brian. I got fed up of buying gas cans for my other stove so bought this one. Apparently Coleman do their own brand of liquid fuel in a tin. Its probably just expensive petrol. Ill let you know how I got on with mine after the weekend, but impressions so far are good. Its fairly compact, feels pretty rugged and after whats been said above I have high hopes.

bluntbaby

Quick update, I only used the stove once, but was certainly impressed. Just gave it a good few pumps and held a light to it. There was not the flashing light and huge fireball I had half hoped for, just a small small fireball and only mild cursing was called for.

Once in use it certainly boils the water quickly and also seemed very stable. Some of the smaller gas stoves are always a nightmare to get stable as they seem to have no weight in them for stability. Not so with the coleman, had no worrys of it falling over at any point. Not sure how leakproof it is as I took a Sig bottle for fuel and emptied the stove after I had used it, but im sure it will be fine in a rucksack. Probably one of my better fishing purchases.

greentura

Greenie
Originally posted by bluntbaby

They run on bog standard unleaded petrol Brian. I got fed up of buying gas cans for my other stove so bought this one. Apparently Coleman do their own brand of liquid fuel in a tin. Its probably just expensive petrol. Ill let you know how I got on with mine after the weekend, but impressions so far are good. Its fairly compact, feels pretty rugged and after whats been said above I have high hopes.
its good now and then to use the Coleman fuel as it is purer than petrol and cleans the system through[:T] my peak 1 apex comes with it's own sig bottle and the pump/fuel pipe is fitted to it so its easy to just swap bottles over although i have never had them leak, just undo the filler cap to release the pressure before packing it away[:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.