Cold.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I also use these gloves. They are a tight fit (designed that way) and I think that improves the circulation and warms the hands. Easy to ship the pole, full finger access, cheap and machine washable. No issues forming balls of groundbait with them on.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A charcoal handwarmer in an Adidas Muff... brilliant if you are going to be sat in a chair watching a pair of carp rods for a wee while...
I have started feeling the cold as I've got older so warm gear is a must for me

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
i bought the VASS 175 insulated B&B and jacket. Combined with the right base layers I dont get cold. I also got the VAss velcro boots and found just one pair of ski socks is warmer than a couple of layers. But am definitely thinking about the battery powered body warmers, The wife has one and swears by it for work

stevew

Reminds me of a winters day last year on the River Aire near Skipton. Fly fishing and stalking Grayling, crept to the rivers edge, knelt down, perfect cast .....and the bank gave way, toppled head first into a lovely pool, luckily only about 5 foot deep. Clambered out wet through, was a good mile walk back to the car in December, freezing cold, a real trudge, then the drive back home, heater on full blast - now always pack a bath towel in the car boot :)

Whitty

Fished today,minus 3,with line freezing in the rings until 9am,didnt put my bib and brace on,or neck warmer,at 1.30pm I had to take my coat off as I was sweating,didnt put it on until I left at dark....

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When people die of hypothermia they are often found with very little clothing on as when the body goes hypothermic the person feels like they're sweating and getting too hot so they start to take clothing off to cool down.

Last edited:

John Step

Site Supporter
When people die of hypothermia they are often found with very little clothing on as when the body goes hypothermic the person feels like they're sweating and getting too hot so they start to take clothing off to cool down.
I had a dice with hypothermia in that cold winter of 62/63. With me it was a feeling of warmth and sleepiness. I was 14 and started my first paper round. It was a complete whiteout. In those days we only had wellies and a school mac.
I curled up quite disorientated in a porchway. Something triggered me to rouse. It may have been a noise in the house and I made it back to the newsagents to thaw out before school.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
On a lighter note....

Image result for hypothermia naked

Paradoxical undressing
When rewarming the body of a hypothermic person with the body of another person, first-aid experts often recommend that both the victim and the "rewarmer" be naked or barely dressed. This facilitates the transfer of heat from the warm person to the person with hypothermia.

Wahey - who's going to be the first at Alders Fur & Feather to shout they need warming up then :D ?

Total

Site Supporter
On a lighter note....

Paradoxical undressing
When rewarming the body of a hypothermic person with the body of another person, first-aid experts often recommend that both the victim and the "rewarmer" be naked or barely dressed. This facilitates the transfer of heat from the warm person to the person with hypothermia.

Wahey - who's going to be the first at Alders Fur & Feather to shout they need warming up then :D ?
I daren't answer that....:oops:

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter

I watched a program on Amazon / Netflix called Missing 411 The Hunted. One of the men who vanished walked miles through heavy snow in the Crazy Mountains, Montana, removing his boots, some of his clothes and back pack as he went.

Left food and drink unconsumed in his pack and was found dead in an area where he would have been able to see a farm from. Eye opening how hypothermia affects body and mind!

davej1981

I had exactly this years ago on a winter league. I was only 15/16 and started experiencing the symptoms you described. Eventually i laid down on the bank and was found drifting in and out of consciousness. No mobile phones in those days. Wasnt a pleasant experience and i know my limits with weather now!

Don’tTellEmYourName

Site Supporter
My hands get really cold and begin to stop functioning. The warning signs are that it’s hard to put a single maggot on a size 18. On one occasion I didn’t have the strength in my fingers to turn the car ignition on and start to warm myself up.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
On a lighter note....

Paradoxical undressing

Ok who’s only wearing shorts and a string vest to Alders on Saturday. In the hope of Mrs Munch of the medical profession bringing you back to life.🤣😉😍

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I've been teeth chattering and shivering cold while out fishing, but always gave up and went home soon after. It just wasn't enjoyable. I got caught in an unexpected blizzard once, miles from home with no transport, after being dropped off by my Dad in the morning. But I was warmly dressed and it's often not that cold when it snows. The issue was that it was touch and go If my Dad could reach me down the narrow country lane the lake was on. I knew he couldn't, so struggled to walk up to the A27 in a White Out, and he managed to find me. The coldest I have ever felt is at the City Ground in Nottingham and at Roker Park in Sunderland, watching Southampton away, especially the latter. The sea used to whip a freezing cold spray over Roker Park on a cold winter afternoon.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Hypothermia is a nasty, sneaky thing that can sneak up on you without any sort of warning signs.

Greta advice about layers but also it’s important to move about regularly and do small exercises to move toes, feet, fingers so you ward off potential frostbite too.

Buy the best quality kit you can afford and wherever possible fish with a mate so you can keep an eye on each other.

Stay safe everyone

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember I slept one night at Birmingham New Street train station on the metal benches. Only one night and it wasn't particularly cold out. It took me a few days to warm up and so I think I was close to hypothermia. Always best to stay safe.

davylad

Site Supporter
When I'm on the beach when it's cold, I regularly wash my hands in the sea after baiting up etc. It sounds crazy, but don't forget the sea is warmer than the air temperature at times. I just can't get on with gloves, I struggle to get them on and off with my thick fingers. I suppose I could get some boxing gloves. :love: I treat myself today and got an Odlo base layer top, it looks the bees knees, not cheap mind.