Cold day, but worth it.

RichB

I had the day off on Monday so decided to get a short session at the lakes I'm a member of. They're a bit tucked away at the bottom of a field out in the sticks. There are two lakes of, I guess, two thirds of an acre each. One lake is small carp to 2lb (there are a couple of doubles in there though) and lots of tench. The other lake holds Carp of 5lb to 17/18lb.

I didn't know which lake I'd fish so took my feeder rod, Avon rod, power float rod and pole. I got to the lakes at about 9am and the car thermometer read -2c. There's a bucket of water beside one peg and it had a thick layer of ice on the top. I took a good walk around both lakes for a good 20-30mins and decided to have a go on the lake holding the larger fish.
Took my time setting up. I decided to fish my feeder rod. Hook bait was a 12mm Banofee wafter and decided to go for a small, golf ball sized, PVA mesh bag of micro pellets.

I was going to limit bait and casts considering the cold. My first cast was in the water for 20mins and got a really strong bite. A short fight and I realized I'd caught one of the larger lumps. It turned out to be a 15lb Common Carp.

That was it for the day though. I had a few indications but no bites. That said I didn't expect to catch anything to be honest. The weather was against me and not many members fish the lakes in the winter. I was really pleased, especially as it'll be my last day out fishing until next year.

IMG_20191202_092506367_HDR.jpg IMG_20191202_092333431.jpg IMG_20191202_092949304.jpg IMG_20191202_092650808_HDR.jpg IMG_20191202_103730330.jpg

Total

Site Supporter
Well done, nice looking fish. (y)......Do love catching a cold water carp. (y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Looks a bit open and cold there too... well done for getting out and nabbing one

RichB

Thank you.

It is quite exposed there. It's fairly high up and there's not much to stop and wind. The lake holding the larger carp has had the banks dug back recently to create a shallow shelf all the way around, that's why it looks fairly barron at the moment.

It was a good day.