cod roe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegasus

benny
do you think it would be a good idea to put cod roe in with your ground bait or pva bag/mesh at this time of year.
how would you make it into a hook bait ive seen john wilson fishing in i think alaska for sturgeon with a bit of nylon tight filled with salmon roe on the hook but im not sure if it would work over here for carp.
what do you think.

Don

Fresh or tinned? The textures of the two are entirely different. I would think mixing the tinned with white bread might produce a decent fishable paste, if you were looking for something with added attractants then blitz the cods roe and add it together with some eggs to a 50/50 boilie base mix.

pegasus

benny
thinking about using it fresh, maybe sticking it to a small polly or hard wood ball with glue or that bogey stuff the carp lads use laid on the bottom it will look like a stone with eggs laid on it ??????

Don

Seems a good idea but the oil in the roe will stop it sticking to "bogey", you could try sticking it to a cork ball with superglue I suppose although it may take time. I think the supermarkets actually sell other "roes" in tins,one of which is bright red and I have been tempted to try it myself Pegasus.
As fish tend to eat a lot of their own eggs I have no doubt your idea will work.
I havent seen any fresh cods roe for years, have to admit I love the stuff but can only get the tinned variety which although nice is just not the same.

me

Originally posted by Don

I havent seen any fresh cods roe for years, have to admit I love the stuff but can only get the tinned variety which although nice is just not the same.

it must be in season at the mo as 2 of our local chippys are selling it and all our local fish mongers have got it [;)][:D]. Its megga expensive in the chippys (2 pound something a piece [:0]), the fish mongers are cheaper. I have to agree it is vvvveeeerrry niiice licklips.gif licklips.gif

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
I had the same idea last year.
Tried it once, around spawning time - nothing
But I really should have persevered to give it a proper chance

Good luck with it and let us know how youget on

Status
Not open for further replies.