Cockles

foster82

I am pretty sure this will have probably been asked before, but I am going to ask anyway. Has anyone had any success with cockles ? I have used prawns before with some success. Caught a nice 12lb mirror on them a couple of weeks ago. Also is there any other shell fish baits that anyone has used with any success ?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I am pretty sure this will have probably been asked before, but I am going to ask anyway. Has anyone had any success with cockles ? I have used prawns before with some success. Caught a nice 12lb mirror on them a couple of weeks ago. Also is there any other shell fish baits that anyone has used with any success ?
Not used other shellfish apart from prawns, but Enterprise tackle make artificial mussels, so some people must have had success on other shellfish. I'd probably eat them myself.

Dusty

I’ve had one of my best sessions on mussels so would imagine cockles would work.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Yup... I use Prawn and Cockles all the time... you need to put a few in beforehand a day or so... if you just rock up and fish with them results can be a bit hit or miss

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Mussels, cockles, prawn, peeler crab will all catch carp tench and bream during the warmer months mainly and squid is a popular catfish bait that is occasionally picked up by carp.

Expanda

Mussels have accounted for some big weights and match wins on our club lakes. Usually on bomb, but works well on pole. Still working well this week.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Once the water temperature drops it becomes harder to make bites on any bigger baits like paste,meat,seafood by that I am not saying you will never get a bite but that your potential for bites is reduced.
Until we get a series of cold frosts the big pleasure fishing baits will still work fine just becoming less effective as the water cools.