Cobwebs blown away

Simon R

Site Supporter
Due to lockdown, frozen ponds and flooded rivers I hadn’t wet a line yet this year, so was anxious not to miss the chance of getting out Sunday. I didn’t really have a long list of venues to consider, bearing in mind the directive to ‘stay local’.

The Tees down at Bowesfield is well out of sorts at present, Hilton Lakes are shut, so that really only left Dromonby and Renny – I was confident I’d get a few fish at the latter so on a grey, overcast morning I pointed the car down the A19.

Map.JPG

It was quite busy as I arrived – the peg I’d fished on my last couple of visits was occupied – by fellow club member Dave Atkinson - although I fancied a change of scene anyway. However the pegs I fancied on the main lake were taken so I dropped onto the far bank of the small lake about five pegs from the aerator end - roughly where the marker is on the map above.

peg.jpg peg2.jpg
Nine times out of ten when fishing here it’ll be the pole that comes out of the bag and nowt else and although I did rig it up I started on the waggler. I was using my 12’ Acolyte Carp Waggler which although a little over-gunned for small roach has a fast enough action to not miss too many bites. The peg was a little over 13m wide and I fished about two-thirds of the way across – the deepest part of the lake. A small bodied waggler (2AAA) I could just flick underarm across to the far-side and then draw it into position whilst sinking my line. I had a couple of tentative bites with double maggot on the hook which I presumed were small roach, so switched to single maggot and immediately hooked a carp – not a huge fish – pound and a half perhaps but it put up a decent scrap.

carp1.jpg

A couple of small roach followed before I hooked a second carp – smaller than the first – and I thought I might be on for a good day but that was it carp wise.

carp2.jpg

A succession of roach followed from small

small roach.jpg

To medium

mid roach.jpg

To large

big roach.jpg

On both waggler and pole the result was the same – even the margin line I’d fed with pellet seemed home only to roach and nuisance gudgeon – whenever they arrived I’d wander round and see if Dave had snared anything substantial but it was just roach, roach and more roach for him.

gudgeon.jpg

Still it was nice to get out – two carp, half a dozen gudgeon, forty odd roach and a single rudd – probably about eight or nine pound.

Simon

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Due to lockdown, frozen ponds and flooded rivers I hadn’t wet a line yet this year, so was anxious not to miss the chance of getting out Sunday. I didn’t really have a long list of venues to consider, bearing in mind the directive to ‘stay local’.

The Tees down at Bowesfield is well out of sorts at present, Hilton Lakes are shut, so that really only left Dromonby and Renny – I was confident I’d get a few fish at the latter so on a grey, overcast morning I pointed the car down the A19.

Map.JPG

It was quite busy as I arrived – the peg I’d fished on my last couple of visits was occupied – by fellow club member Dave Atkinson - although I fancied a change of scene anyway. However the pegs I fancied on the main lake were taken so I dropped onto the far bank of the small lake about five pegs from the aerator end - roughly where the marker is on the map above.

peg.jpg peg2.jpg
Nine times out of ten when fishing here it’ll be the pole that comes out of the bag and nowt else and although I did rig it up I started on the waggler. I was using my 12’ Acolyte Carp Waggler which although a little over-gunned for small roach has a fast enough action to not miss too many bites. The peg was a little over 13m wide and I fished about two-thirds of the way across – the deepest part of the lake. A small bodied waggler (2AAA) I could just flick underarm across to the far-side and then draw it into position whilst sinking my line. I had a couple of tentative bites with double maggot on the hook which I presumed were small roach, so switched to single maggot and immediately hooked a carp – not a huge fish – pound and a half perhaps but it put up a decent scrap.

carp1.jpg

A couple of small roach followed before I hooked a second carp – smaller than the first – and I thought I might be on for a good day but that was it carp wise.

carp2.jpg

A succession of roach followed from small

small roach.jpg

To medium

mid roach.jpg

To large

big roach.jpg

On both waggler and pole the result was the same – even the margin line I’d fed with pellet seemed home only to roach and nuisance gudgeon – whenever they arrived I’d wander round and see if Dave had snared anything substantial but it was just roach, roach and more roach for him.

gudgeon.jpg

Still it was nice to get out – two carp, half a dozen gudgeon, forty odd roach and a single rudd – probably about eight or nine pound.

Simon
Wow cracking day ,lovely wright up and pics

Simon R

Site Supporter
There's an honesty box as you enter the fishery - fill in the little form, put the money in the envelope, retain the top copy and bung it in the little letter-box provided. They do come round periodically during the day to check nobodies sneaked on without paying or to hand change to those who didn't have the right money.

Simon