Coarse fishing in Herne Bay

ev4dawin

Hello again! As some of you know, I live in Bromley and posted a thread about where I can fish in and around Bromley. Thank you to all who gave me advice on where to go. Now. I always go fishing with my grandpa and he lives in Herne Bay. We've been to Longshaw, Marshside, Lavendar Farm and Cottington. What I would like to know is if there are any other places within the area that are under 30 minutes away. Thank you in advance :)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Canterbury will give you everything you need, casting a fly or trotting for roach along with tench in top draw waters.

Again a waiting list so get on it.

DFL

Site Supporter
Canterbury will give you everything you need, casting a fly or trotting for roach along with tench in top draw waters.

Again a waiting list so get on it.
Which club are you referring too?

DFL

Site Supporter
You've covered all the available waters within a 30 minute radius of Herne Bay that I know of. I'm not sure if PG is referring to the CDAA who have plenty of waters within your range but whether you'd fish them enough to warrant 12 months membership for two?

One other fishery that springs to mind approx 40 minutes away is the Willows angling centre in Teynham near Sittingbourne formerly know as Bax Farm, a day ticket water predominately aimed at carp anglers but they have a stream full of silvers which is a popular match venue.

ev4dawin

You've covered all the available waters within a 30 minute radius of Herne Bay that I know of. I'm not sure if PG is referring to the CDAA who have plenty of waters within your range but whether you'd fish them enough to warrant 12 months membership for two?

One other fishery that springs to mind approx 40 minutes away is the Willows angling centre in Teynham near Sittingbourne formerly know as Bax Farm, a day ticket water predominately aimed at carp anglers but they have a stream full of silvers which is a popular match venue.
I have found a place in the Isle of Sheppey called Stones Fishery, which looks like a good place to go. The match lakes are stocked heavily with carp, and if I'm not catching, there is also a very heavily stocked kids pond. Might try out sandwich as @WickerDave suggested, might try Kingfisher out.

DFL

Site Supporter
Sheppey is a lot further than thirty minutes from HB, if you're happy to travel that distance then there's a whole further range of venues around Ashford and Maidstone high are just a bit closer.

ev4dawin

Sheppey is a lot further than thirty minutes from HB, if you're happy to travel that distance then there's a whole further range of venues around Ashford and Maidstone high are just a bit closer.
I had a look on google maps and it said 40 minutes from my grandpa to the place. What places are there in Ashford and Maidstone?

DFL

Site Supporter
There is (or was) a small lake known as Boyden Gate Farm on Church Lane not far from Marshide, sits behind the Gate Inn pub, not sure if it's still open for fishing though. I'll get back to you on Ashford/Maidstone later.

John Step

Site Supporter
I dont think Seasalter is far from Herne Bay. I used to fish the small drains there behind the coast. Used to be free.
I have just looked on Google maps and they are still there. There is a sluice where they finish up at the Faversham road.

Last edited:

ev4dawin

I dont think Seasalter is far from Herne Bay. I used to fish the small drains there behind the coast. Used to be free.
I have just looked on Google maps and they are still there. There is a sluice where they finish up at the Faversham road.
Can you send me a screen shot or picture? I'm not sure where.

DFL

Site Supporter
The drains in Seasalter are not as easily accessible as they once were, land owners have fenced off sections. If you are intrepid and prepared to yomp and climb over gates etc, you may find areas to fish. I use to fish by the pumping station, it's about half a mile beyond the Oyster Pearl pub heading towards Faversham. That small spot is still easily accessible, having said that I've never caught anything other than small rudd, I normally will cross the road and spin for bass in the sea, something to consider?

03985327-3952-4BA8-AF13-23853E81B907.jpeg

Last edited:

DFL

Site Supporter
A few venues to consider further afield, plenty more with a bit fo Googling.

some huge 4lb plus perch in their lakes.

ev4dawin

The drains in Seasalter are not as easily accessible as they once were, land owners have fenced off sections. If you are intrepid and prepared to yomp and climb over gates etc, you may find areas to fish. I use to fish by the pumping station, it's about half a mile beyond the Oyster Pearl pub heading towards Faversham. That small spot is still easily accessible, having said that I've never caught anything other than small rudd, I normally will cross the road and spin for bass in the sea, something to consider?
Maybe but I'm not sure if we have any lures :/

ev4dawin

A few venues to consider further afield, plenty more with a bit fo Googling.

some huge 4lb plus perch in their lakes.

Sams Lakes looks really good, especially as it has a stock pond/ float pond for the youngsters. My cousin would enjoy it there I think.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Which club are you referring too?
I was referring to Canterbury and district AA, it is not cheap but where else could you securely park up {Fordwich} and cast a fly
in a chalk river, trot for roach, fish for all species in superb lakes all within a few minutes walk from you motor? I say its not cheap
but in reality it is peanuts, I think overall anglers are tight sods. They think nothing of paying ten quid for a day ticket to fish
some muck hole then baulk at club fees which are generally very reasonable.

If I lived in Herne Bay and was skint I would get an OS of the area and check out the surrounding dykes and drains by bike, I like
this sort of fishing especially in the early hours when you can have them to yourself, only fly in the ointment is blasted eels, yuk.

DFL

Site Supporter
I was referring to Canterbury and district AA, it is not cheap but where else could you securely park up {Fordwich} and cast a fly
in a chalk river, trot for roach, fish for all species in superb lakes all within a few minutes walk from you motor? I say its not cheap
but in reality it is peanuts, I think overall anglers are tight sods. They think nothing of paying ten quid for a day ticket to fish
some muck hole then baulk at club fees which are generally very reasonable.

If I lived in Herne Bay and was skint I would get an OS of the area and check out the surrounding dykes and drains by bike, I like
this sort of fishing especially in the early hours when you can have them to yourself, only fly in the ointment is blasted eels, yuk.
Not sure where you got the waiting list PG.