coarse fish in garden ponds

Status
Not open for further replies.

chub

who has ever kept coarse fish in garden ponds ?

if so what types of fish are best?

in my pond witch is 25ft long by 15ft long and 4ft deep i keep roach rudd tench mirror carp and chub [:D].

i love catching chub

TINY

Tiny
If the fishing carries on like this,at least you will be able to go in your garden and catch.I reckon with a bit of persuasion you could get a few of us around to help drink tea,eat toast and have a fish or two.
Andy

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How much are Day Tickets chub [:)]

All of those will thrive in a pond of that size but not sure about the Chub as I've never heard of anyone keeping one before

Did you get a 'Section 30' ? Nope not even going to go down that line [:D] lol

Dave

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
My nannas garden pond had Chub, rudd, tench, crucian, orfe, eel(somewhere) and Mirror Carp init and all seemed to be doin really well. Now she moved and we are building a new and bigger pond lol.

Tight lines [:D]

chub

dave i got my chub from bridgemere garden world last year they cost me 5 each and they seem to be thriving they have grown 2inch since last year i feed them on slugs and the occasional catipiler that i find in my garden [:D]if you want some then i suggest you pay them a visit they also had other coarse fish on sale like silver bream and barbel

i love catching chub

Lid

How big were those chub for a fiver? There's an advert in AT for 6" - 8" chub at 1 each! Don't know if there's a minimum quantity though.

We used to keep small carp to 5lbs in water troughs and a small artesian well and also in a a small pond. The water supply to the pond and troughs was the same natural spring.

I guess the water in the artesian well was good quality too.

Lid [:)]

everyready

i have got some small rudd seem ok got them free when picking up weed for pond as my dog like swiming and eating weed in the pond .it gets through lots of weed in the year. yes we do feed it.[:p]
my pond only about 1 to 2000 galons have tryed tench carp they just dig the pond up and get too big over 3 lbs in a few years

chub

anyone no were i can buy some perch and sturgeon ?

i love catching chub

Trevski

I got a Diamondback Sturgeon for my Dads pond from
a place called "Oakhanger Aquatics" which is just
outside Alsager in Cheshire. You could give em
a call.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/img]

TINY

Tiny
You can buy Sturgeon from any good aquatics centre,it just depends on which particular form of fish you want.ie diamondback,chequer etc.

Andy.........Staffs Angling Supplies

chub

thanks i will have i look for a sturgeon next time i visit my local aquatic centre but not buy one till the weather warms up.[:)]

Now does anyone no were i can buy perch?

i love catching chub

chub

i still want to no were i can get some
PERCH for my garden pond or if it is illegal to collect them from the wild?

i love catching chub

Lid

They used to sell small perch at my local aquarium centre. I don't know if they still do because it changed hands. Also it's in Hertfordshire. I'll find out anyway, but I don't reckon perch travel very well in the mail. [:D]

Lid [:)]

mike s

Chub, it is definitely illegal to take any fish from a water without the owner's permission. It is also a legal requirement to obtain a section 30 from the EA if you wish to move fish from one water to another, even if it's your garden pond. I know this looks a bit extreme, but the legislation was drawn up to reduce the chance of spreading diseases & is very comprehensive.
You could try emailing the EA to see what the exact situation is as regards your own pond.

Cumbria Angling Centre

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try asking at you local aquatics center Chub, they can normally get any kind of fish you want.
As for the sturgeon they sell some lovely ones at the Hollybush garden center just off junction 11 of the M6 around 4 to 5ft long & start at 99 each.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Status
Not open for further replies.