Coaching young v old

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I have written about helping youngsters but last night I tried to coach my ex father in law. Carried his gear to a peg I have caught well on twice this week. Double figures of tench, crucians and bream in an hour ish both times.
Anyway we set his box and all up and asked him for his rig. It was on 3m of line for a 2ft margin. I explained that for banded pellets fishing close the reeds he would be better with a shorter line. No was his reply, "I have made that rig for Sunday and I ain't changing it" I bit my lip and carried on. Showed him how I plumb the depth and how to lay the pellet down the shelf. Told him of an underwater weed bed if he went to far etc.
I was to feed and he was to fish. Handful of pellets went in and I suggested he waited for them to reach the bottom before casting. First put in a small tench and the next one of 2lbs graced the net. He missed a few bites, cussed and cursed before catching a small crucian. I then left him with my lad and walked home to prepare dinner. 40 mins later my lad phoned to say "grandad says you have told him wrong and won't listen. Can you come back. I walked back up, fed the plumbed spot and told him to put is float over the feed. 2 mins later tench number 3 arrived, quickly followed by number 4. Due to the long line he was hitting one in 6 bites or letting his rig go into the reedbed. I walked back home to finish the dinner, partly because I was starving and partly shaking my head. He and my lad arrived for their food and he professed to have had a great time. 6 tench, a crucian and a huge roach well over the pound mark. I smiled, I believed due to the moaning he was not enjoying himself. He parted with " when's my next lesson?"🙄

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Us old UN's always moan
So do all fisherman ( fisherpersons )
Moaning yep I can take but add stubbornness and the cussing to the equation and I lose the will. He is a great man and when I started fishing 30 odd years ago was the man to beat in the club. He was awesome at bomb fishing and could always catch a bream or 2. However, he is set in his ways, wants to compete but reluctant to change. I will take him again but have my own rigs ready...and a thicker skin! 🤣

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It annoys when you know that folks are doing it wrong but are determined to carry on regardless and somehow it all your fault...... I'd have shortened the rig anyway and offered to buy him a new one if he didn't up his catch rate... old uns... grumpy old fekkers ain't we...😜

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Reminds me of showing my dad fishing stuff, it's infuriating, show him how to do something and still ends up in a tangled mess within an hour.

R0B

Did he ask for coaching?
It seems like he's experienced enough to make his own mistakes and if he messes up then it's on him. Kids are used to instruction and more autocratic coaching because of school. Coaching older people, however, can be way more democratic. The trick is often to discuss things in a way which makes them come up with the answer themselves and see you as an equal rather than a "teacher".
It's fine to let them be wrong as long as it's not dangerous.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm lucky that my dad is a willing learner, he would have to be if you can imagine the amount I gas about fishing to him. This evening we will be practising grinner knots. (y) He taught me as a kid so he only has himself to blame.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Did he ask for coaching?
It seems like he's experienced enough to make his own mistakes and if he messes up then it's on him. Kids are used to instruction and more autocratic coaching because of school. Coaching older people, however, can be way more democratic. The trick is often to discuss things in a way which makes them come up with the answer themselves and see you as an equal rather than a "teacher".
It's fine to let them be wrong as long as it's not dangerous.
Yes he asked for coaching. That was the whole point of him fishing. He did ask at the end when is my next lesson. Since the session i have reasoned he still sees me as the inexperienced angler who started fishing with him 35 years ago. Therefore in his head he will always be better than me. I will just try and help when he asks.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Well, I'm trying to teach my eighteen year old daugther to drive . . .

I have taught the eldest 2 daughters of my friends to drive - mainly because their dad wanted to throttle them and they wanted to push him out of the moving car :)

As an archery coach I find a huge difference in teaching kids compared to adults - on the whole the adults come to a session with fixed views and preconceptions whilst the kids are far more open and just do as you ask. I prefer coaching youngsters over adults.