Clutter and Garbage

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The last 2 - 3 days ive had a good cellar Clear out, F***** me i never knew we had so much Shyte, old tins of paint, bits of pipe, wood off cuts, old Crockery, broken power tools, a bag of sand from a builders merchants that shut down 4 year ago, amongst other stuff, anyway its gone, also im going to Leeds Bridge where there seems to be a warm clothes drop off for the homeless, gonna put a bag with a Full Fleece suit and a thermal night fish suit for someone, hope it keeps em warm, Right thats my bit done i can sort my tackle out now in Peace.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The last 2 - 3 days ive had a good cellar Clear out, F***** me i never knew we had so much Shyte, old tins of paint, bits of pipe, wood off cuts, old Crockery, broken power tools, a bag of sand from a builders merchants that shut down 4 year ago, amongst other stuff, anyway its gone, also im going to Leeds Bridge where there seems to be a warm clothes drop off for the homeless, gonna put a bag with a Full Fleece suit and a thermal night fish suit for someone, hope it keeps em warm, Right thats my bit done i can sort my tackle out now in Peace.

Nice gesture Wise

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Knowing your luck you'll get prosecuted for fly tipping on the bridge :D

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Guilty as charged m'lord.
My garage is a disgrace & as soon as the Xmas period is over, I need to blitz it & make multiple tip runs.

Arch

Site Supporter
My wife is an hoarder, plain a simple. She had a tough upbringing. Her folks split and her Mum raised my wife and her sister on her own. Money was very tight. Some of the stories she tells me brings tears to my eyes. Sharing a Pork chop between themselves because that's all the meat they'd got., stuff like that.

Well, she's making up fo it now. Our garage is like the corner shop. 12 jars of Coffee, boxes of washing powder, other cleaning products. Masses of food. (There's only two of us) Cupboards full, two freezers full, Cereal boxes in the garage. Batteries for every conceivable thing needing batteries. Envelopes, Christmas and Birthday cards, wrapping paper. Next years presents, the lot.

Bless her.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Clearing the old ladies house out at the moment and we have found her "just in case " cupboards.
So far we have all new and boxed/bagged: iron,kettle,water filter and 12 filters,toaster,2 cutlery sets,over 50 tea towels and 4 towel bundles,4 pair of slippers,2 "hospital" emergency bags.
Numerous dishes,plates and plastic containers it is endless.

Thought my old man was bad with his 3 sheds full of every nut,screw and bolt known to man but she always was his equal :D:D:D

Before Christmas we took over a dozen bin bags full of clothes (lots new) and bedding sets to various charities.

It doesn't take much but very rewarding.

biggsy

Site Supporter
Must be a generation thing Lee, I had exactly the same problem clearing out my parents house.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
No doubt about that mate and usually find it among those who grew up with nothing.

My professional background is Lean Manufacturing but as hard as I try I am a timber hoarder ☺

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Guilty as charged m'lord.
My garage is a disgrace & as soon as the Xmas period is over, I need to blitz it & make multiple tip runs.

And the day after you've finished your tip runs, you'll start to find you need things you've chucked out!
That length of wire, that bit of wood, that old ball of string ...

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
My late father-in-law was an inveterate hoarder, and an auction addict.
He could not resist a bargain, whether he need the item or not.

Clearing out his shed after he died, I got some very strange looks when I arrived at the tip with eight large axes and five bow saws. :oops:

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some people started to leave clothes and coats for the homeless on O Connell bridge in Dublin a few weeks ago. They also left sleeping bags. A couple of hours later a council van pulled up and gathered them all up and took them to the tip. It seems the council don't think it does the city's image good for tourists to see it !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
whilst searching through the sheds and the store before christmas, looking for summat she wanted

I told my grandaughter,

One day sweetheart, "all of this will be yours"

couldnt understand her reaction !

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Some people started to leave clothes and coats for the homeless on O Connell bridge in Dublin a few weeks ago. They also left sleeping bags. A couple of hours later a council van pulled up and gathered them all up and took them to the tip. It seems the council don't think it does the city's image good for tourists to see it !

I got to Leeds Bridge this morning nowt there so didnt want to upset the easily upsetable and be charged for littering or even worse like Dave said Fly Tipping, so i will give it personally to someone Monday.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think it's a generation thing as well @biggsy, when my dad passed i was given all his fishing gear. tools, "niknaks" and other DIY associated stuff, when my grandad passed again i inherited all the tools etc.... they came from a time of "mend and make do" or just DIY/build/repair.

Now-a-days kids and the younger generations (i'm still a youngster at 47 but older than the throwaways) have got used to a disposable society, it's scary just how many 20 somethings can't change a plug, can't set up an aerial, can't change a bulb in their cars, can't change the bushes in a powertool, vacuum etc etc.

Now, if something goes wrong they pay someone to fix it or just throw it away and buy a new one!

Then, the same people claim they are saving the planet by recycling and it's the older generations that ruined it...even though we used to have glass bottles which were washed and returned, milk delivered by an electric vehicle, nappies which were washed and reused, very few housholds had a car let alone a car each, i used to hate fridays because it was shopping day and that meant getting home from school, getting changed, walking into town and then getting on the bus home with my rucksack full of shopping and carrier bags digging into my fingers..... now they get in their car to drive 500yrds to the shop[ for a plastic bottle of watered down milk!

I took all the bedding, clothes, towels etc from my grandads house to the local hospice charity shop and handed them the lot, while there i arranged a time for them to come and collect all the furniture that was unwanted by anyone in the family and they collected the lot.

I found 6 sleeping bags and along with another 5 from my own house and the big "winter coats" my grandparents had i took them to the local homeless charity who turned their nose up at them because they smelt "musty"... i'm pretty sure some poor sod freezing in a box wouldn't really give a toss what it smelt like but i took them to the local sally army instead and they couldn't thank me enough.

I'm a sod for for digging through other peoples junk, D goes mental at me sometimes when i come home with "junk" untill i make use of it and she admits it was "ok so you needed it" kind of thing, she knows i've always wanted to buy an old farmstead or similar with a cellar and outbuildings but she also knows i'll fill the bloody lot up with what she considers "junk" :D :D

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The waste not want not generation is slowly disappearing through old age because they were the offspring of those brought up through two world wars mostly.
The hoarding gene will never disappear but the younger you are the more likely you are to have been blighted by consumerism in all its forms and if its cheap enough its useful life is measured in days rather than years.