Club that has got it right - Festival Angling, Ebbw Vale

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Spent the weekend in my homeland to surprise my sister who I’ve not seen in person for 2yrs and catch up with some lifelong friends.

We stayed at a Premier Inn overnight that happens to be 5mins from a lake where I used to be a member - having been awoken at 6am by Jacob I headed around there with him around 8:30 to give mummy a little peace and quiet & see how it had changed in 15yrs.

The water is a pair of connected lakes that were built as part of an oriental themed area within the 1992 Garden Festival

When the garden festival event finished a group of anglers realising its potential got together to take over the water and formed Festival Angling Club.

It’s always been a well organised, maintained and stocked water with a mixed stocking ethos focussing on something for everyone at all levels of ability. There is a pagoda on the strip of land between the lakes housing a cafe and selling bait - the profits from this are ploughed back into the club. A large car park is a few yards from the bottom lake and an overflow car park a little further on.

I loved fishing this venue for many years.

The changes were subtle but impressive - there are now wide sturdy wooden numbered platforms on every swim with good clear access from the paths which ring the lakes.

A floating pump/fountain has been installed in the centre of the lake nearest the car park for summer aeration.

The top lake has a large parking area and it’s great to see these pegs marked for wheelchair user priority.

Even on a drizzly Sunday morning there were half a dozen anglers fishing a mix of pole, waggler, bomb and feeder.

Jacob being Jacob merrily introduced himself to the anglers (whether they wanted it or not) telling them he fished and his daddy used to fish the lake.

He was made up when one angler surrendered his seatbox and pole 2+2 inviting my mad 5yr old to have a go & show him what he could do. The look of shock on both their faces when 30 seconds later the float dipped and Jacob into a fish, playing and landing (with very little help) a small skimmer of a few ounces was priceless.

With membership at £25 and £10 for juniors covering this lake and a couple of stretches of Monmouthshire Brecon Canal I don’t think you could ask for better and they deserve to thrive.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Looks tidy mate (y)

I bet that bloke had been biteless for ages before Jacob showed him the ropes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Lovely looking water mate
It’s genuinely a stunner - if I could pick it up and drop it close to home I would in a heartbeat.

They have deliberately stocked it over the years with a mix of roach, skimmers, tench, rudd & small carp (but not too many) plus there’s a good head of perch and golden orfe from an early stocking

Almost any method will catch on there and the club holds a match league too for those who fancy a fairly lighthearted bit of competition

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Looks tidy mate (y)

I bet that bloke had been biteless for ages before Jacob showed him the ropes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It was embarrassing (hysterical) mate - I hooked on a single red maggot to the 18’ish hook, Jacob swung out the rig and the bloke flicked a couple of maggots & casters over the top of the float.

Jacob then lifted and lowered the float as he wriggled to get comfy on the seat and no sooner had it settled then it dipped away and he lifted gently into the fish.

The bloke had a 4m landing net handle and slid out the net while Jacob played the fish in & over the lip like a dream providing a running commentary and laughing at the elastic stretching in & out.

Point blank refused to pose for a picture insisting he was starving and wanted to get back for breakfast despite already having had cereals, fruit, water and the remains of last nights chocolate brownie :rolleyes: