Club pond, south Shropshire

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I’ve joined a new Severn based club this year and they also have the rights to a small weedy pond, this afternoon was my first fish there. There was only one person fishing it so I did a full circuit of the pond to look at the swim options before setting up on the far bank where there was less weed directly in front.

Maggot on the waggler produced a half ounce rudd early on which set the tone for the session, a wait for a bite which produced a tiny rudd, roach or perch, about 30 in total, plus a 4oz skimmer.

The method feeder produced a lot of tugs and rattles and a few fish of similar size to the waggler, plus one 1lbish fish that looked rudd like in real life and more roach like in the photo, so probably a hybrid.

DSC06597.jpg

There had been one or two carp mopping up loose mixers in the middle of the pond so the waggler rod was converted to a surface bait and this produced a 10lb ghost carp fairy quickly and then another of 10.5lb at the end of the session.

DSC06605.jpg

DSC06614.jpg

DontKillZander

Can you tell me where this lake is please? wont be offended if no :)
Sorry, it's a members only pond in a remote location that we aren't supposed to divulge the location of, so I'd better not.
Understand mate - no worries. Good Luck

Well personally - I don't understand.

...Nico has been a member here for almost 20 years, what are we here for - if not to help each other out and be friendly? Especially towards such a long standing member, a private message would have sufficed if you really want to be all James Bond about it.

Anyway, nice fish Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

WickerDave

Site Supporter
@DontKillZander, yes I partially agree and I did consider a private message.

The club rules are quite specific though, so I didn't...

9. NO MEMBER is to reveal the location to anyone including other members without prior authority. We want to safeguard our angling. Any member wishing to fish not knowing the location will be given it by Club Secretary at the time of booking on request.

NO FILMING OF ANY KIND WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORISATION.
PHOTOGRAPHS MAY NOT BE SHARED ON ANY MEDIA NAMING THE VENUE EXCEPT OUR MEMBERS FORUM.

James Bond, I wish!

DontKillZander

@DontKillZander, yes I partially agree and I did consider a private message.

The club rules are quite specific though, so I didn't...

9. NO MEMBER is to reveal the location to anyone including other members without prior authority. We want to safeguard our angling. Any member wishing to fish not knowing the location will be given it by Club Secretary at the time of booking on request.

NO FILMING OF ANY KIND WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORISATION.
PHOTOGRAPHS MAY NOT BE SHARED ON ANY MEDIA NAMING THE VENUE EXCEPT OUR MEMBERS FORUM.

James Bond, I wish!
I see, fair enough Dave.
I'm also an advocate of respecting club rules.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
@nico12, after checking with the Club Secretary I am allowed to say it is a Shrewsbury Angling Club water. It is fairly easy to work out the exact location from the information on their website or public Facebook page, if you didn't see or were not sent the full @DontKillZander reveal.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A second trip here this afternoon/evening. It was surprisingly cool with showers and a gusty wind. The first fish was a tiny rudd and more tiny/small fish followed resulting in about 50 rudd, roach, perch and skimmers.

DSC06684.jpg

The only better fish was a perch of 1.12, they are quite dull marked perch from this pond.

DSC06694.jpg

There was no sign of any carp at all today.

After being held up once returning from the previous trip elsewhere with sheep sleeping on the road, today it was twice with cows being moved from field to farmyard and a pair of male peacocks fighting in the middle of a single track road that didn't want to move.

Imperium

Before I saw your latter reply I was just about to respond that by sharing the exact rule wording, I found the water within a minute. Good tip to be aware of when trying to keep waters confidential as per club rules, those in the know can very quickly track it down from information like this.

Some cracking looking fish there mate.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Before I saw your latter reply I was just about to respond that by sharing the exact rule wording, I found the water within a minute. Good tip to be aware of when trying to keep waters confidential as per club rules, those in the know can very quickly track it down from information like this.

Some cracking looking fish there mate.
Yes, good point, I realised after the copy/paste that perhaps I shouldn't have done that. But then their naming of the pool on the public club website makes it very easy to find anyway!

Imperium

Yeah I’ve always found that odd with some clubs. One of mine has a blanket ban on social media posts due to how prolific one of our barbel waters is (I’ve had 10 over 6lb in a morning session before) but then describe the venue on their website as “one of the most prolific barbel hotspots in Europe”

bizarre :)

WickerDave

Site Supporter
A third trip here yesterday afternoon. There’s still a lot of weed, with a lot of it floating from the recent work parties.

DSC06733.jpeg

It was a slow start with a very heavy shower and only tiny fish, mostly rudd. The weather slowly improved and so did the fishing. Initially I tried legering worm in an attempt to tempt one of the decent perch but this just resulted in a few knocks and battered worm. Switching this to maggot and a method feeder got plenty of tugs, some missed and lost small fish but some small skimmers to 8oz were landed plus one better skimmer of 2lbish.

Feeding the float swim with ground bait and pellet eventually got the skimmers bubbling and a good run of 4-6oz skimmers resulted, with some rudd and perch both to 8oz and a few smaller roach. A couple of better fish were lost seconds after the strike, possibly perch.

The final tally was 55 fish for 13.5lb, my best small fish total for a while.