Club Pond Session

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Been struggling lately & haven't had many decent catches from any of our waters. Even on our easiest commy style pond, I haven't bagged up while others have had decent days. Don't know whether it's been me fishing them wrong or the fish simply want a different bait on the day.
Anyway - I was getting a bit bored of fishing for F1's & the fields containing our main group of ponds have finally dried out, so the hike across is a bit easier. Today I decided on our May & June pond. Very picturesque when the lilies are all out & they're now starting to show. It contains some very powerful carp - many doubles, plus every other species of fish except for F1's. As I'd rather bump small fish than lose a biggun, I decided to use stronger tackle and go for the carp and tench. I armed myself with a selection of hard pellets, expanders, corn & micros. I set up two topkits, one with 13 Duraslip and the other for the margins fitted with 15 duraslip. I had a small island at 11m and found a depth of 4ft while my margin rig to the reeds on my right was just over 2 foot deep.
I cupped some groundbait & corn in the margins and thought I'd leave it for a bit while concentrating on the 11m line. After half an hour, fishing 4mm expanders on the island, I'd only managed a few small roach & also bumped a few off in the process. Switched to corn but more of the same....just small roach so it was time to have a look in the margin.
Using a 6mm Banoffee expander, I managed to snare a nice tench...maybe two pounds and a lovely mint green in colour. I was missing a few bites, I think they were from small roach nipping the expander but shortly after the float bobbed a couple of times then buried. I struck but didn't feel that much resistance so I thought I'd hooked another tench or maybe a crucian. Nope - it was a margin munter & before I knew it, I was buried in the reeds and snapped. A common occurence on this pond, my mate fished it the previous evening.....landed four & was smashed by six.
I thought I'd give the swim a breather so I cupped in another big pot of groundbait, pellets & corn and had a play at topkit plus two, just in front of me. Using 4mm expanders, I had a succession of roach but none of the usual crucians or Ide. My mate on the next peg was catching Ide on corn in the margins.
Back into my margin swim after half an hour & I landed another tench. Same colour as the first one but a bit smaller. If that's all I caught today, then I'd go home happy because it was great to be fishing in the sun after all the cold weather we've had.
Started throwing bits of gear in my bag & packing up, the float buried again & there was the thump of another carp. I managed to steer him away from the reeds immediately & get him into open water. Gave me a good scrap though and as I brought him to the net, he managed to get himself in a small clump of reeds and branches by my feet. Managed to prod him out of them with my landing net & he got a second wind, swimming back out to the middle. Finally managed to tire him & slid him into the net. About 6-7lb of nice silvery common. Happy end to an enjoyable day. Those banoffee expanders smell great by the way.

mj .jpg mj tench.jpg mj carp.jpg

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I like the banoffee expanders - assume your using the Sonubaits ones - caught a lot on them last year

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Managed to have some unexpected free time this afternoon so nipped off to the main group of ponds again. Thought I'd have another crack at our Clover pond where I struggled last week. Only one person fishing so I was able to drop into a peg I normally get good results from. Only had hard & soft pellets of varying colours but I fancied some carp & tench again so they would do. Set up two kits as usual....one for top kit plus 3 alongside some lilies in 4 foot of water & one for the reed bed to my right where I've had decent carp in the past.
Didn't take long before I landed a chunky little crucian but then I remained biteless for a good half hour. I'd potted some groundbait in the reeds at the off & decided to have a go on it. Immediately I was into a carp that led me a merry dance but the hook pulled as I got him out into open water. Shortly after, I hit another carp of about 4lb that gave a good scrap but I managed to land him. He was followed by a 1 lb tench & I was then smashed in the reeds twice in quick succession by a couple of angry carp. I managed to snare another mirror of around 5lb thankfully as I thought it was going to be another day of lost fish.
Fairly happy with my couple of hours, I was under orders to collect a chippy tea when the float buried again & a lengthy scrap ensued with this lovely grey mirror of about 10lb. He took some steering away from the reedbed & the lily pads.

Attachments

• Clover april.jpg
    Clover april.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 18
  • clover tench.jpg
    clover tench.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Clover crucian.jpg
    Clover crucian.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Clover carp april.jpg
    Clover carp april.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 17

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Third stint in a week (it'll come to a stop soon). Today I ventured to our Tench Pond for the first time. It's quite a hike & the field is rock hard & rutted due to the horses. I was blowing for tugs by the time I'd got my trolley there. A stunning looking pond (well it will be when the lily pads are in full throttle) with around twelve nice pegs on it. Supposedly quite difficult & despite it's name, the Tench are rarely caught. I'd picked a few brains on the facebook group last night as to which are the likely pegs & what depths to expect. Within five minutes of shipping out a 6mm expander, I landed a small skimmer, quickly followed by a rudd & then a roach. If I caught these all day then I was happy as I've done okay for carp & tench this week. Bent down to pick up my fags & I felt the pole tip thump and looked up to see my white duraslip streaming into the reeds. Expecting a carp, I ended up scrapping a nice chunky tench. I thought I'd foul hooked it but discovered the line had somehow wrapped round his body.
No bites for another hour even after switching to corn so I decided to move pegs & set up at the opposite end of the pond. Another skimmer followed after around 10 minutes and that was it.....Nada! I spent the next three hours biteless but still went home happy. Catching a tench always makes me happy.
Might have another day out tomorrow as she's off out with the grandkids.

tench tench.jpg

JayBee

Site Supporter
Third stint in a week (it'll come to a stop soon). Today I ventured to our Tench Pond for the first time. It's quite a hike & the field is rock hard & rutted due to the horses. I was blowing for tugs by the time I'd got my trolley there. A stunning looking pond (well it will be when the lily pads are in full throttle) with around twelve nice pegs on it. Supposedly quite difficult & despite it's name, the Tench are rarely caught. I'd picked a few brains on the facebook group last night as to which are the likely pegs & what depths to expect. Within five minutes of shipping out a 6mm expander, I landed a small skimmer, quickly followed by a rudd & then a roach. If I caught these all day then I was happy as I've done okay for carp & tench this week. Bent down to pick up my fags & I felt the pole tip thump and looked up to see my white duraslip streaming into the reeds. Expecting a carp, I ended up scrapping a nice chunky tench. I thought I'd foul hooked it but discovered the line had somehow wrapped round his body.
No bites for another hour even after switching to corn so I decided to move pegs & set up at the opposite end of the pond. Another skimmer followed after around 10 minutes and that was it.....Nada! I spent the next three hours biteless but still went home happy. Catching a tench always makes me happy.
Might have another day out tomorrow as she's off out with the grandkids.

tench tench.jpg
Well done.....See, you can catch fish despite the lack of a footplate!.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Lovely Weeks fishing Neil. I haven’t been out since last November, due to work and several other reasons. Works gone mental since Boris started opening up. Must admit I do fancy giving the new Hesketh a go and the Stork ponds.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Lovely Weeks fishing Neil. I haven’t been out since last November, due to work and several other reasons. Works gone mental since Boris started opening up. Must admit I do fancy giving the new Hesketh a go and the Stork ponds.
Tried the Hesketh the other week, Jim. It's not very pleasing to the eye yet.....just a hole in the ground. Also not many flat areas to fish from as no pegs have been dug out yet. Stork is looking lovely though.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Tried the Hesketh the other week, Jim. It's not very pleasing to the eye yet.....just a hole in the ground. Also not many flat areas to fish from as no pegs have been dug out yet. Stork is looking lovely though.
Reading on club Facebook group are the cows and electric fences really such an issue? Did you have any issues getting your box to Hesketh?

Yep Stork is a lovely looking water. I’m presently working in Thornton Hough so pass it twice a day. I should just pop in and fish it one evening but I’m not the type where 2 hrs fishing does me. It goes too fast.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Cows weren't there when I fished it. I've walked through them before now. They're inquisitive but scarper if you shoo them.
I'm just off to fish the Roadside or if it's full, the May & June. Hopefully see you soon, Jim.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Managed to get out for a three hour session at the Roadside as there wasn't a soul there. Non-stop from the minute I put in. A constant stream of big Brown Goldfish, a few small tench & only three little rudd (unusual for this pond). I found that if I potted in a few hard 4mm pellets every cast, the rudd didn't want to know. On the three occasions I didn't pot in the pellets, I caught tiny rudd. Those brownies don't half scrap. Had a cracking morning's fishing & might go back tomorrow. Don't need a trolley, you just make a couple of trips to your peg from the car.

20210424_110012.jpg 20210424_114837.jpg

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Some lovely looking fish @The Landlord 👍
Looks a nice set of ponds that you have access to.
They're great Jim.....`12 ponds plus miles of river & canal stretches. Some of them are a bit of a hike but in late spring or summer, they're really picturesque. The guys who do the work parties really look after them & the club does well with it's stocking. Not bad for £60 a year.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Been struggling lately & haven't had many decent catches from any of our waters. Even on our easiest commy style pond, I haven't bagged up while others have had decent days. Don't know whether it's been me fishing them wrong or the fish simply want a different bait on the day.
Anyway - I was getting a bit bored of fishing for F1's & the fields containing our main group of ponds have finally dried out, so the hike across is a bit easier. Today I decided on our May & June pond. Very picturesque when the lilies are all out & they're now starting to show. It contains some very powerful carp - many doubles, plus every other species of fish except for F1's. As I'd rather bump small fish than lose a biggun, I decided to use stronger tackle and go for the carp and tench. I armed myself with a selection of hard pellets, expanders, corn & micros. I set up two topkits, one with 13 Duraslip and the other for the margins fitted with 15 duraslip. I had a small island at 11m and found a depth of 4ft while my margin rig to the reeds on my right was just over 2 foot deep.
I cupped some groundbait & corn in the margins and thought I'd leave it for a bit while concentrating on the 11m line. After half an hour, fishing 4mm expanders on the island, I'd only managed a few small roach & also bumped a few off in the process. Switched to corn but more of the same....just small roach so it was time to have a look in the margin.
Using a 6mm Banoffee expander, I managed to snare a nice tench...maybe two pounds and a lovely mint green in colour. I was missing a few bites, I think they were from small roach nipping the expander but shortly after the float bobbed a couple of times then buried. I struck but didn't feel that much resistance so I thought I'd hooked another tench or maybe a crucian. Nope - it was a margin munter & before I knew it, I was buried in the reeds and snapped. A common occurence on this pond, my mate fished it the previous evening.....landed four & was smashed by six.
I thought I'd give the swim a breather so I cupped in another big pot of groundbait, pellets & corn and had a play at topkit plus two, just in front of me. Using 4mm expanders, I had a succession of roach but none of the usual crucians or Ide. My mate on the next peg was catching Ide on corn in the margins.
Back into my margin swim after half an hour & I landed another tench. Same colour as the first one but a bit smaller. If that's all I caught today, then I'd go home happy because it was great to be fishing in the sun after all the cold weather we've had.
Started throwing bits of gear in my bag & packing up, the float buried again & there was the thump of another carp. I managed to steer him away from the reeds immediately & get him into open water. Gave me a good scrap though and as I brought him to the net, he managed to get himself in a small clump of reeds and branches by my feet. Managed to prod him out of them with my landing net & he got a second wind, swimming back out to the middle. Finally managed to tire him & slid him into the net. About 6-7lb of nice silvery common. Happy end to an enjoyable day. Those banoffee expanders smell great by the way.

mj .jpg mj tench.jpg mj carp.jpg
The tench is a very unusual colour and very nice. I've seen them range from almost black through dark and olive green, and various shades of brown, but never seen a mint green one before.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Got another session in today at our May & June pond. Quite a cold wind blowing across so I looked for a sheltered peg with some features. Settled into a corner that had a nice reed bed down my left margin & an overhanging tree at 6m. Had a smattering of decent quality roach, a couple of crucians & then switched to the margin swim. Immediately caught a battle-scarred tench, followed by a common of around 4lb which didn't fight that much. The day was rounded off with this silver & I can't fathom out if it's a roach. an Ide or a hybrid of the two (as suggested by another club member). Just before this, I hit probably the biggest carp I've ever hooked since joining the club. Managed to steer him away from the reeds & he surfaced just under the tree. I got him into open water but he was hugging the bottom & was taking some shifting. As I managed to gain a little ground the bloody hook pulled!
Good day overall though.

Attachments

• M&J 5.jpg
    M&J 5.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 6
  • M&J 6.jpg
    M&J 6.jpg
    434.9 KB · Views: 10
  • M&J 7.jpg
    M&J 7.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 10
  • M&J 8.jpg