Club Matches 9, 10 & 11

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
A few things including a trip to Scotland has got in the way of me writing up my recent club matches. As the last three have all followed the same pattern I have decided to catch up in one post. My apologies that the information is not as detailed as normal. But in all three matches I ended up catching well at topkit, closer or +1 distance in the margin. Simple margin rig with either a small dibber or short margin float, both 0.2g.

Match 9, Barby Banks (Marshes), peg 38

Match 10, Decoy Elm, peg 13

Match 11, Rookery Waters, Pidley, Raven, peg 11

In all three matches I struggled for the first half. Yesterday for example at Rookery I had roughly 10lb after 2 ½ hours. At Decoy it took me until 2pm to fill my first net (estimated 40lb, actually 43) and at Barby it was 12lb after 3 hours.

In all three the margins switched on late. At Decoy I was going for my third net at 2:25 as in the 25 minutes between filling net 1 and then I landed four margin fish for around 32lb.

Yesterday, the first change I made was to switch baits on the pellet feeder to a bright yellow BandUm. That brought a flurry of better quality fish. When the feeder line went quiet I tried my margins and started to catch well there on both meat and corn in slightly different depths. At Barby I started to catch in the margin just 12 inches away from the platform.

In none of the matches have I fed heavily but just enough to bring some fish into the swim.

At Barby I ended up with just over 100lb for 4th place. At Decoy it was a final total of 123lb for second and yesterday 80lb 10 oz for fourth again, third place had 80:11.

Picked up an envelope in each match so it shows the benefits of persistence and not giving up. If you are struggling then most likely others are to

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Will take the caravan Neil to Rookery next year. If you don’t mind, I’ll contact you for some advice?
Thanks Simon

Dusty

A few things including a trip to Scotland has got in the way of me writing up my recent club matches. As the last three have all followed the same pattern I have decided to catch up in one post. My apologies that the information is not as detailed as normal. But in all three matches I ended up catching well at topkit, closer or +1 distance in the margin. Simple margin rig with either a small dibber or short margin float, both 0.2g.

Match 9, Barby Banks (Marshes), peg 38

Match 10, Decoy Elm, peg 13

Match 11, Rookery Waters, Pidley, Raven, peg 11

In all three matches I struggled for the first half. Yesterday for example at Rookery I had roughly 10lb after 2 ½ hours. At Decoy it took me until 2pm to fill my first net (estimated 40lb, actually 43) and at Barby it was 12lb after 3 hours.

In all three the margins switched on late. At Decoy I was going for my third net at 2:25 as in the 25 minutes between filling net 1 and then I landed four margin fish for around 32lb.

Yesterday, the first change I made was to switch baits on the pellet feeder to a bright yellow BandUm. That brought a flurry of better quality fish. When the feeder line went quiet I tried my margins and started to catch well there on both meat and corn in slightly different depths. At Barby I started to catch in the margin just 12 inches away from the platform.

In none of the matches have I fed heavily but just enough to bring some fish into the swim.

At Barby I ended up with just over 100lb for 4th place. At Decoy it was a final total of 123lb for second and yesterday 80lb 10 oz for fourth again, third place had 80:11.

Picked up an envelope in each match so it shows the benefits of persistence and not giving up. If you are struggling then most likely others are to

The Bandums are just about the only bait I use on the method at the moment.
In my match last Thursday I was using banded 6mm pellet to begin with and only picking up the odd Ide and skimmer, I stuck a pink Bandum on and within 5 minutes had a 12lb common on the bank.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Will take the caravan Neil to Rookery next year. If you don’t mind, I’ll contact you for some advice?
Thanks Simon

First time I have fished Raven. A lot of the fish were smaller than you get on Magpie & Jay. I like Rookery Waters, friendly, comfortable and good fishing. Very well stocked tackle shop.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I have no experience on which to base an opinion. I would need to fish the same venue with the same anglers both days to make a judgement.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Yes I get the need for a consistent measurement, I meant weights in general if anyone studies them or looks out for them.