Club Match - Frasers Fishery

Stewie74

Site Supporter
First visit to another new venue for me today, Frasers in Downham Market, on the edge of the Cambridgeshire Fens. Apologies, no photos today as it was raining all day and i only had an hour to get set up following the draw.

Two lakes, Marks and Emily’s, our group of 14 would be split equally across both, so spare pegs either side for everyone. It would be a continental style payout, with top 2 on each lake plus a single silvers prize across both lakes.

Both lakes stocked with carp to 10lb, barbel and the usual silvers.

I was drawn on peg 14 on Emily’s lake, halfway along one of the sides of a rectangular snake lake with 16 pegs in total.

Talking to some of the anglers at the draw, margins and short seemed to be the general advice, so I set up margin lines both sides at 3feet deep, a top two line in a depth of 4 feet and a far bank line (12m across) in about 3 feet of water.

At the all in it was steadily drizzling, I fed my margins with ground bait and maggot, fed the across line with micros, and settled in over the margin line.

First 10 minutes resulted in a couple of small roach, so I switched to the short line. Cube of meat on the hook, fed 3 cubes with a toss pot. 30 seconds later I was in to a carp of a couple of lbs. Straight back out with 3 cubes in the toss-pot, same result.

Rinse and repeat for the next 3 hours, sometimes feeding 2 cubes, sometimes 3, sometimes none. Bites ranged from 20 seconds to 5 minutes, and the fish ranged from 1lb to 8lb, and included my first tench and a 5lb barbel which fought harder than any fish I’ve ever hooked before.

Slowed a bit in the 4th hour, so it was back on the margin line, with mixed results, a few small carp and some silvers on corn over Groundbait.

With an hour to go I went back short, and the fish kept coming, mainly 2-3lbers , bites not as quick as earlier but still steadily adding weight to the net.

At the whistle I got the chance to shout ‘fish on’ for the first time...(little things please little minds and all that)

At the weigh in my silvers weighed 7lb 10 oz, and my carp weighed 107lb 6oz, for a total of 115lb.

My first ton, and my best ever match weight by a country mile. Chuffed, to put it mildly.

I knew I had more than the 3 anglers I could see from my peg, so I packed up and loaded the car, and waited for the scales to finish their journey.

As I finished loading the car the weigh in for our lake was complete, so I went to see how I’d fared.

Ended up 3rd on the lake which was won with 179lb, 171lb was second. The other lake was one with 150lb, with 97lb second.

So I finished 3rd on the lake, 4th overall, and got pipped to the silvers prize by 3lb, but to be honest I’ve had a cracking day, and I’m sitting here with a beer and a big smile on my face.

Unfortunately tomorrow’s match is fully booked, so unless there’s a late withdrawal this evening I’ll be heading out somewhere for a few hours pleasure session in the morning.

Thanks for reading 👍

Stewie

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
First visit to another new venue for me today, Frasers in Downham Market, on the edge of the Cambridgeshire Fens. Apologies, no photos today as it was raining all day and i only had an hour to get set up following the draw.

Two lakes, Marks and Emily’s, our group of 14 would be split equally across both, so spare pegs either side for everyone. It would be a continental style payout, with top 2 on each lake plus a single silvers prize across both lakes.

I was drawn on peg 14 on Emily’s lake, halfway along one of the sides of a rectangular snake lake with 16 pegs in total.

Talking to some of the anglers at the draw, margins and short seemed to be the general advice, so I set up margin lines both sides at 3feet deep, a top two line in a depth of 4 feet and a far bank line (12m across) in about 3 feet of water.

At the all in it was steadily drizzling, I fed my margins with ground bait and maggot, fed the across line with micros, and settled in over the margin line.

First 10 minutes resulted in a couple of small roach, so I switched to the short line. Cube of meat on the hook, fed 3 cubes with a toss pot. 30 seconds later I was in to a carp of a couple of lbs. Straight back out with 3 cubes in the toss-pot, same result.

Rinse and repeat for the next 3 hours, sometimes feeding 2 cubes, sometimes 3, sometimes none. Bites ranged from 20 seconds to 5 minutes, and the fish ranged from 1lb to 8lb, and included my first tench and a 5lb barbel which fought harder than any fish I’ve ever hooked before.

Slowed a bit in the 4th hour, so it was back on the margin line, with mixed results, a few small carp and some silvers on corn over Groundbait.

With an hour to go I went back short, and the fish kept coming, mainly 2-3lbers , bites not as quick as earlier but still steadily adding weight to the net.

At the whistle I got the chance to shout ‘fish on’ for the first time...(little things please little minds and all that)

At the weigh in my silvers weighed 7lb 10 oz, and my carp weighed 107lb 6oz, for a total of 115lb.

My first ton, and my best ever match weight by a country mile. Chuffed, to put it mildly.

I knew I had more than the 3 anglers I could see from my peg, so I packed up and loaded the car, and waited for the scales to finish their journey.

As I finished loading the car the weigh in for our lake was complete, so I went to see how I’d fared.

Ended up 3rd on the lake which was won with 179lb, 171lb was second. The other lake was one with 150lb, with 97lb second.

So I finished 3rd on the lake, 4th overall, and got pipped to the silvers prize by 3lb, but to be honest I’ve had a cracking day, and I’m sitting here with a beer and a big smile on my face.

Unfortunately tomorrow’s match is fully booked, so unless there’s a late withdrawal this evening I’ll be heading out somewhere for a few hours pleasure session in the morning.

Thanks for reading 👍

Stewie
Superb result Stewie 👏 well done 👏 happy days

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Awesome mate !! Well done on a very well fished match, brilliant achievement for you in such a short space of time 👍👍👍🎣
Cheers Gaz, I’d like to be able to fish every match that simple!!

I think I got lucky with a decent draw, happened to have loads of fish literally right in front of me 👍

160642fishing

Site Supporter

Thanks for reading 👍

Stewie
'First visit to another new venue for me today, Frasers in Downham Market,'

That's Little Downham near Ely Stewie,I fish their over 60's on Tuesdays and it is a cracking little fishery,Summertime the fish come up readily,especially on Marks lake,what do you think to the way Fraser's fixed his keepnets,stops them getting pinched.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
'First visit to another new venue for me today, Frasers in Downham Market,'

That's Little Downham near Ely Stewie,I fish their over 60's on Tuesdays and it is a cracking little fishery,Summertime the fish come up readily,especially on Marks lake,what do you think to the way Fraser's fixed his keepnets,stops them getting pinched.
Agreed, I really liked it. Short walk, tidy platforms, plenty of fish.

I like the keepnet setup, nice and simple.