Club Match 8, Yoke Hill, Wilfred's Weir

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I am a week late in writing this report. That is really a symptom of how I am at the moment. For some reason my depression is overwhelming the drugs and motivation to do anything is lacking. And this is showing in my fishing. I have fished less this year than for many previous years. But I have set out to write up all my club matches this year so here goes.

This also explains my total lack of preparation for this match (and others) hence my eventual result.

I arrived at the fishery to discover that on Wilfred's Weir there is a 10 elastic maximum. As people may know I rarely use anything less than 14 during the Summer, 12 in Winter. The rule is in place because the carp in the lake average less than a pound, a 1 ½lb fish being exceptional. Luckily I still had four “Winter” topkits in my bag from fishing Tunnel Barn ten days previously, three 12s and one 10. The fishery said the 12s would be OK.

In the car park I bumped into four people I had not seen for a while, all of them better anglers than me and knowledgeable about Yoke Hill, one an England international at senior level. In general their advise was -

Fish meat & corn on the hook at full depth and don't feed too much as that would make the fish back off, fish maggot and I would get bitted out. Fish topkit+1 and down the track at full depth. Feed 4 mil pellet.

With that advice in my mind I headed for peg 15, the widest peg on the lake.

Peg 15 turned out to have a bush over the margin to the right at topkit distance that of course drew my interest. That took care of one topkit. I set one up to fish at +1 and two down the track. The two track rigs would be for banded hard pellet and for soft baits like meat & corn.

At the start I fed the two deeper lines and threw some corn and meat into the margin under the bush. I started on the track line with corn and had nothing, nor anything on meat and then nothing on the +2 line. I did manage a few fish from under the bush and predictably they were around half a pound to a pound each, a couple were only 2-3 ounces.

Meanwhile John to my right on peg 16 was already catching at 13m shallow on pellet. He had fished the lake a week before and so had a bit of an advantage I suppose. Jon on peg 18, end peg, was also catching. Up in the water on maggot.

To say I struggled is an understatement. Gradually I managed to get the +1 line working by concentrating on it, using 9 mil cubes of meat on the hook and feeding a small pot of 4 mils (20 or so) each put in. I could not get a bite on a 6 mil cube. The fish backed off under the bush and as the day progressed bites became few and far between.

Can't add too much. I was pretty much locked into trying to make work what I had been told would work. A brief dabble with pellet up in the water saw nothing like the immediate response John had had. The only fish I had shallow was a skimmer on meat when testing the shotting on my margin rig.

Come the finish I weighed 28lb with 36/37 fish. That was good enough for third from last.

Winner had 87lb feeding 2 bags of 4 mils and 3 pints of maggot and catching on maggot.

Winner had 87lb feeding 2 bags of 4 mils and 3 pints of maggot and catching on maggot. Advice eh? Who needs it!

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I am a week late in writing this report. That is really a symptom of how I am at the moment. For some reason my depression is overwhelming the drugs and motivation to do anything is lacking. And this is showing in my fishing. I have fished less this year than for many previous years. But I have set out to write up all my club matches this year so here goes.

This also explains my total lack of preparation for this match (and others) hence my eventual result.

I arrived at the fishery to discover that on Wilfred's Weir there is a 10 elastic maximum. As people may know I rarely use anything less than 14 during the Summer, 12 in Winter. The rule is in place because the carp in the lake average less than a pound, a 1 ½lb fish being exceptional. Luckily I still had four “Winter” topkits in my bag from fishing Tunnel Barn ten days previously, three 12s and one 10. The fishery said the 12s would be OK.

In the car park I bumped into four people I had not seen for a while, all of them better anglers than me and knowledgeable about Yoke Hill, one an England international at senior level. In general their advise was -

Fish meat & corn on the hook at full depth and don't feed too much as that would make the fish back off, fish maggot and I would get bitted out. Fish topkit+1 and down the track at full depth. Feed 4 mil pellet.

With that advice in my mind I headed for peg 15, the widest peg on the lake.

Peg 15 turned out to have a bush over the margin to the right at topkit distance that of course drew my interest. That took care of one topkit. I set one up to fish at +1 and two down the track. The two track rigs would be for banded hard pellet and for soft baits like meat & corn.

At the start I fed the two deeper lines and threw some corn and meat into the margin under the bush. I started on the track line with corn and had nothing, nor anything on meat and then nothing on the +2 line. I did manage a few fish from under the bush and predictably they were around half a pound to a pound each, a couple were only 2-3 ounces.

Meanwhile John to my right on peg 16 was already catching at 13m shallow on pellet. He had fished the lake a week before and so had a bit of an advantage I suppose. Jon on peg 18, end peg, was also catching. Up in the water on maggot.

To say I struggled is an understatement. Gradually I managed to get the +1 line working by concentrating on it, using 9 mil cubes of meat on the hook and feeding a small pot of 4 mils (20 or so) each put in. I could not get a bite on a 6 mil cube. The fish backed off under the bush and as the day progressed bites became few and far between.

Can't add too much. I was pretty much locked into trying to make work what I had been told would work. A brief dabble with pellet up in the water saw nothing like the immediate response John had had. The only fish I had shallow was a skimmer on meat when testing the shotting on my margin rig.

Come the finish I weighed 28lb with 36/37 fish. That was good enough for third from last.

Winner had 87lb feeding 2 bags of 4 mils and 3 pints of maggot and catching on maggot.

Winner had 87lb feeding 2 bags of 4 mils and 3 pints of maggot and catching on maggot. Advice eh? Who needs it!
good write up Neil, you need to get your head in the game or have a break from it really

BTMS

Site Supporter
Or Neil

How about some coaching. Your advice has certainly helped me imagine some juniors how much experience and knowledge you could pass on without actually fishing. I would certainly be at the front of the queue!!!!(y) (sorry about the font its changed for some unknow reason)o_O

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Coaching is something I would love to do. But it is not something you can do with juniors without the correct qualifications, legal knowledge, criminal records checks and insurance. Hopefully I will, in time, get there through the Wellingborough club of which I am now a committee member.

We have some wonderful and dedicated coaches in the club already and I helped them weigh in a junior match last Thursday. A couple of things I was told about what is acceptable when coaching juniors would make you wonder what is going on. Let's just say you cannot put an umbrella up if it rains and you cannot give away sweets. Working with kids is a minefield and hats off to anyone that does it.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Check out Kelvedon DAA with the angling trust Brilliant. Not just kids some more mature guys wanting to get back into angling(y)(y) oldest was 70ish

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Decent write up Neil, hope things brighten up for you in time, a chat and a coffee might not help with the fishing but know where I am if you need to.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Or Neil

How about some coaching. Your advice has certainly helped me imagine some juniors how much experience and knowledge you could pass on without actually fishing. I would certainly be at the front of the queue!!!!(y) (sorry about the font its changed for some unknow reason)o_O
I don't wish to sound negative, and I'll probably get shot down for saying it , but I don't think , suffering from depression is a good starting point to coach others,especially juniors etc, much better to deal with the problems first , before going down that route , just my view

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Its OK to say so. Isn't going to happen any time soon as I need to attend courses etc. and that isn't on the horizon.

D

Deleted member 21081

Bit like your garden path, one step at a time. Simply understanding what you want to achieve will make getting there easier. Not easy but easier.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Can totally understand going with a plan especially somewhere you haven't fished before and it not working out. It's difficult to decide whether to stick with it in the hope that it comes good or ditch it and start from scratch. Don't be too downhearted about the match results if you had a broken arm in a plaster cast and were in pain, you wouldn't expect to put in a stellar performance, no different than having depression, in fact I would say you can work around a broken arm, but you can't with depression it colours everything you do.

There is no easy 1,2.3 step to recovering from Depression Neil, it varies from person to person. For me it was going to the gym in order to re-gain my previous fitness levels. I started with small targets building up with every visit. I think it was achieving these targets one by one that gave me an ongoing boost a couple of times a week that helped get me out of the pit I had been in.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Can totally understand going with a plan especially somewhere you haven't fished before and it not working out. It's difficult to decide whether to stick with it in the hope that it comes good or ditch it and start from scratch. Don't be too downhearted about the match results if you had a broken arm in a plaster cast and were in pain, you wouldn't expect to put in a stellar performance, no different than having depression, in fact I would say you can work around a broken arm, but you can't with depression it colours everything you do.

There is no easy 1,2.3 step to recovering from Depression Neil, it varies from person to person. For me it was going to the gym in order to re-gain my previous fitness levels. I started with small targets building up with every visit. I think it was achieving these targets one by one that gave me an ongoing boost a couple of times a week that helped get me out of the pit I had been in.
It's alright to have a plan, but when it obviously isn't working and others are catching doing something else, common sense should tell you to bin it off and try something else, not just keep flogging a dead horse, and end up coming nearly last 😉😏