Club Match 13, Yoke Hill, Figure of Eight

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Not my favourite venue. Last outing on this lake I had one fish with ten minutes of the match remaining. It has always been a lake I have never done well on. But as club chairman I felt I had to go. Unlike most places I fish I went with no real plan as nothing had worked for me in the past.

But a day's fishing is a day's fishing and the weather looked to be bright if chilly. I drew peg 16 which is at the furthest end of the lake from the car park and for the first two hours would be in shadow. Just my luck! It doesn't help when a regular tells you “Its a flier”. No pressure then and you really can only crash & burn.

The water temperature was 8.9 degrees so the overnight low of 1-2 had not cooled the water that much. At least that was a promising start. I had been told that the fishery had done some work in rotating stock to try and improve results and that there were loads of baby carp. This is one venue I know where the carp breed prolifically. The one thing I didn't think would work was getting into a fish race catching 1-2oz carp.

Peg 16 is at the end of the lake and offers a myriad of choices. An island at 11m, an enticing reed lined corner around 20m to the left, good looking margins closer on the left and the right hand bank was at 45 degrees so again a comfortable line for the margin and bottom of the slope. Full depth was around five feet. I decided to restrict myself and not overcomplicate my approach.

With that in mind I made up a rig to fish at topkit +2. This put me in around 5ft of water. 0.5g float with a 1.2mm bristle on 0.13 Reflo Power with an 18 B611 on 10 inches of 0.10. Basically my full on Winter rig. This on a topkit with 12 solid on a side puller (yes I do own a couple!).

I also made up a rig slightly shallower to fish the base of the margin slope. Same rig except the float was 0.2g with a string of No.10s in the final 18 inches.

Two feeder rods made up the rest of my tackle. One with a small bomb to fish corn or pellet, the other with a small pellet feeder. These were to be used to cast towards the rushes in the corner where the odd decent fish was topping.

Feed would be micros and corn. Initially using a small pot as I wasn't sure how the fish would react to the feed after the overnight temperature. My intention was to use corn and larger pellet on the pole to try and avoid the tiny carp.

I started casting a pellet feeder into the corner with three dead reds. This produced two carp totalling probably 5oz. I tried the pole lines and had no takes. I tried the straight lead with corn and hard pellet and the pellet feeder with corn on the hook. I still had 5oz in the net. Time for a re-think. Putting out 11m and plumbing up to the end of the island I found the margin slope dropped away rapidly so finding a flat spot top present a bait was impossible. I gave it a go anyway but with no luck. Time for a re-think.

I made up a new shallow margin rig to fish maggot at 3-4 foot deep with the intention of fishing this away from the margin slope so the maggot would be off the deck. This is an approach I have found can work, though normally when the water is colder. I had a look around the margins and not even a baby took the maggot. Things were looking grim, but no surprise for me on this lake. I just don't do well here.

I then tried a grain of corn on the shallow rig and dropped this into a spot around 8m to my left and close enough to the bank for the corn to be on the bottom where I had fed nothing. After thirty seconds the float slid out of sight and I had my first proper carp of around 2lb. Sorted? No, nothing followed from the same spot. I tried adding some feed and that just attracted the small carp. Out with the pellet feeder with corn on the hook to the rushes and the tip wrapped round and I had a small carp of around 1 ½lb. Sorted? No. The next three casts produced nothing.

Time for a re-think. I decided to concentrate on the +2 line for a while and managed another carp around 2 1/2lb at last on corn skin. I was now three hours into the 5 ½ hour match and with the three carp and some babies I reckoned I had around 7lb.

With 2 ½ hours to go I had to make a decision how to fish the remaining time. No point in trying to fish various spots searching for fish. I would have to make them come to me, get their heads down or just put the day down to another poor one at Yoke Hill.

I know where my strengths are and that is fishing short so I decided to bin all other lines and concentrate on +2. Re-plumbing I found three spots I could fish with one rig. They were at approximately 10, 12 & 2. I started feeding each with a few micros and with maggot on the hook was content to catch whatever came along just to busy myself for the rest of the match.

Pretty soon I started to catch a variety of sizes. Most small with the occasional bigger fish. Not rapid but at least the float was going under and I was getting some sport. I tried corn skin but that didn't change matters much. Then with around 75 minutes to go I tried a whole grain of corn and started to catch some better fish more regularly. With 60 minutes left I tried varying the grain size and chose a small grain. Immediately I had a better fish. Same again, small grain, bigger fish. For half an hour it seemed I could not get the rig in quickly enough. I was still feeding micros but only a small amount after every three or four fish.

By three with 30 minutes to go I had an estimated 30lb in my large fish net. Then the swim just switched off and in the remaining time I had one more fish of around 5lb.

An estimated 40lb including the small carp turned into 45 at the scales. Next best weight on the day was 35 and so somehow I had finally managed a win on this lake. Not a huge or important match but a milestone for me on a venue I had come to fear.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Not my favourite venue. Last outing on this lake I had one fish with ten minutes of the match remaining. It has always been a lake I have never done well on. But as club chairman I felt I had to go. Unlike most places I fish I went with no real plan as nothing had worked for me in the past.

But a day's fishing is a day's fishing and the weather looked to be bright if chilly. I drew peg 16 which is at the furthest end of the lake from the car park and for the first two hours would be in shadow. Just my luck! It doesn't help when a regular tells you “Its a flier”. No pressure then and you really can only crash & burn.

The water temperature was 8.9 degrees so the overnight low of 1-2 had not cooled the water that much. At least that was a promising start. I had been told that the fishery had done some work in rotating stock to try and improve results and that there were loads of baby carp. This is one venue I know where the carp breed prolifically. The one thing I didn't think would work was getting into a fish race catching 1-2oz carp.

Peg 16 is at the end of the lake and offers a myriad of choices. An island at 11m, an enticing reed lined corner around 20m to the left, good looking margins closer on the left and the right hand bank was at 45 degrees so again a comfortable line for the margin and bottom of the slope. Full depth was around five feet. I decided to restrict myself and not overcomplicate my approach.

With that in mind I made up a rig to fish at topkit +2. This put me in around 5ft of water. 0.5g float with a 1.2mm bristle on 0.13 Reflo Power with an 18 B611 on 10 inches of 0.10. Basically my full on Winter rig. This on a topkit with 12 solid on a side puller (yes I do own a couple!).

I also made up a rig slightly shallower to fish the base of the margin slope. Same rig except the float was 0.2g with a string of No.10s in the final 18 inches.

Two feeder rods made up the rest of my tackle. One with a small bomb to fish corn or pellet, the other with a small pellet feeder. These were to be used to cast towards the rushes in the corner where the odd decent fish was topping.

Feed would be micros and corn. Initially using a small pot as I wasn't sure how the fish would react to the feed after the overnight temperature. My intention was to use corn and larger pellet on the pole to try and avoid the tiny carp.

I started casting a pellet feeder into the corner with three dead reds. This produced two carp totalling probably 5oz. I tried the pole lines and had no takes. I tried the straight lead with corn and hard pellet and the pellet feeder with corn on the hook. I still had 5oz in the net. Time for a re-think. Putting out 11m and plumbing up to the end of the island I found the margin slope dropped away rapidly so finding a flat spot top present a bait was impossible. I gave it a go anyway but with no luck. Time for a re-think.

I made up a new shallow margin rig to fish maggot at 3-4 foot deep with the intention of fishing this away from the margin slope so the maggot would be off the deck. This is an approach I have found can work, though normally when the water is colder. I had a look around the margins and not even a baby took the maggot. Things were looking grim, but no surprise for me on this lake. I just don't do well here.

I then tried a grain of corn on the shallow rig and dropped this into a spot around 8m to my left and close enough to the bank for the corn to be on the bottom where I had fed nothing. After thirty seconds the float slid out of sight and I had my first proper carp of around 2lb. Sorted? No, nothing followed from the same spot. I tried adding some feed and that just attracted the small carp. Out with the pellet feeder with corn on the hook to the rushes and the tip wrapped round and I had a small carp of around 1 ½lb. Sorted? No. The next three casts produced nothing.

Time for a re-think. I decided to concentrate on the +2 line for a while and managed another carp around 2 1/2lb at last on corn skin. I was now three hours into the 5 ½ hour match and with the three carp and some babies I reckoned I had around 7lb.

With 2 ½ hours to go I had to make a decision how to fish the remaining time. No point in trying to fish various spots searching for fish. I would have to make them come to me, get their heads down or just put the day down to another poor one at Yoke Hill.

I know where my strengths are and that is fishing short so I decided to bin all other lines and concentrate on +2. Re-plumbing I found three spots I could fish with one rig. They were at approximately 10, 12 & 2. I started feeding each with a few micros and with maggot on the hook was content to catch whatever came along just to busy myself for the rest of the match.

Pretty soon I started to catch a variety of sizes. Most small with the occasional bigger fish. Not rapid but at least the float was going under and I was getting some sport. I tried corn skin but that didn't change matters much. Then with around 75 minutes to go I tried a whole grain of corn and started to catch some better fish more regularly. With 60 minutes left I tried varying the grain size and chose a small grain. Immediately I had a better fish. Same again, small grain, bigger fish. For half an hour it seemed I could not get the rig in quickly enough. I was still feeding micros but only a small amount after every three or four fish.

By three with 30 minutes to go I had an estimated 30lb in my large fish net. Then the swim just switched off and in the remaining time I had one more fish of around 5lb.

An estimated 40lb including the small carp turned into 45 at the scales. Next best weight on the day was 35 and so somehow I had finally managed a win on this lake. Not a huge or important match but a milestone for me on a venue I had come to fear.
Well done Neil

Freesolo82

Nice report Neil (y) I drive past this place all the time may pop in if the rivers are out of action

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Nice report Neil (y) I drive past this place all the time may pop in if the rivers are out of action

Four lakes on site. The others are Wilfred's Weir, contains lots of small carp, 1 1/2lb is a big fish. There are then two strip lakes, I don't know the names, that are, I think more silvers/F1s. Always a friendly welcome.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Worked hard for that Neil by the sounds of it. Being prepared to keep rotating lines and starting new ones paid off. Done well, especially on a lake that you don't have confidence in from the off.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Its the way forwards Neil. Not as if I needed convincing anyway, but in the recent mders match, I had the odd fish on corn, nothing on pellet and the rest on...you know the rest.