Cloud Groundbaiting ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Im thinking on using a Cloud Groundbait,

Mainly to colour up clear water in the top to middlin of the depth of the venue, its around a top 4 or 10 to 12 foot deep most of the time

couple of times of late, Ive fished the venue, loose feeding maggot for the roach, which have dutifly obliged and come up in the water to intercept the feed

wearing the polaroids, I can see a fair old way into the clearer water and have noticed that a lot of the bigger dog roach, have gone for and nosed the hookbait but then sheared off without taking it

Ive dropped down to light lines, poundish hooklengths, and having the shot right up under the float, with at most, one no10 dropper or even just using the maggot to sink down alone, changed depths and am now getting a bit stumped on what to do next to catch more than I have been, changed baits, caster, pinkie, bread etc, it makes no real difference

so in comes the cloud, probably some dark hemp based groundbait with some dry powdered molehill or suchlike, mixed really really sloppy and introduced by big preston cup, hoping that if the fish can see the line or even the hook, the cloud might cover it a bit more, and produce more confident feeding

apart from that Im not sure what else to do ????

Total

Site Supporter
Sounds like you been through the card and if you feel the roach can notice the hook/line a cloudy groundbait could work....I would tend to have a really strung out rig and literally countdown each dropper registered on the bristle until its reach the last dropper, any deviation to the count lift the pole....

Feed an amount at the start to kick off the peg and throw small sloppy groundbait balls containing just a few offerings as required, try threading the maggot up the hook, side ways hooked etc.....Might be worth feeding a hemp line somewhere as well....

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’d try fishing the seed.
If it has to be maggot do some floating maggots for the hook. I have seen them be the difference between catching and not.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
When dusting maggots with Turmeric first became popular a lot of people thought that it wasn't the flavour but the small cloud it left, hiding the hook and hooklength. Might be worth a try mate.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
The best stuff used to be Cosmic Cloud, IIRC a British Groundbaits product. Very light in colour with some glittery pieces in it (Silk worm casts?), skimmers absolutely loved it.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
bigger roach can be really wily like that can't they?

are you sure that they are "nosing" the bait rather than sucking in and ejecting really quickly?
when the dog roach are around - do the smaller fish disappear?

some more thoughts:
1. feed to keep them on the deck. fewer, larger helpings of feed
2. tiny floats, fished in or sub-surface - absolutely minimise resitance. You could even try greased line fishing
3. trolling ... sometimes when they're going mad for hemp, the only way to hook fish is to slowly tow a strung rig around the swim with rig set at approx half depth
4. countdown method - strike at a certain count (obviously keep varying if you're not connecting). Classic dace method.
5. fish the rig a bit deeper than you think you need to, allows a slower fall of the hookbait. if they're feeding at 3 feet, set at 5 feet deep,
6. go positive - almost bolt rig it with 3x no. 8 inches from the hook.

All of these have worked for me at different times - mainly on rivers it has to be said.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Im thinking on using a Cloud Groundbait,

Mainly to colour up clear water in the top to middlin of the depth of the venue, its around a top 4 or 10 to 12 foot deep most of the time

couple of times of late, Ive fished the venue, loose feeding maggot for the roach, which have dutifly obliged and come up in the water to intercept the feed

wearing the polaroids, I can see a fair old way into the clearer water and have noticed that a lot of the bigger dog roach, have gone for and nosed the hookbait but then sheared off without taking it

Ive dropped down to light lines, poundish hooklengths, and having the shot right up under the float, with at most, one no10 dropper or even just using the maggot to sink down alone, changed depths and am now getting a bit stumped on what to do next to catch more than I have been, changed baits, caster, pinkie, bread etc, it makes no real difference

so in comes the cloud, probably some dark hemp based groundbait with some dry powdered molehill or suchlike, mixed really really sloppy and introduced by big preston cup, hoping that if the fish can see the line or even the hook, the cloud might cover it a bit more, and produce more confident feeding

apart from that Im not sure what else to do ????
Mick have a butchers at the Mainline Souper Zig Mix, comes in a 4kg bag @£14 might be just what you are looking for. (y)

JLK

Sensas record 515 if you can still get it.

Also if you are giving Roach time to look at the bait they will leave it be. The key is to bomb it past their line of sight quickly and force them to take it so they don't have time to inspect it.
A very good squatt angler taught me that.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Silver x, canal black, grill and crush your own hemp with coriander oil my own recipe (y)(y) wet well so explodes on the surface

JLK

Oh and I forgot to add. Lower the rig in with all the weight on the hook length if you can't get them feeding lower down and fish a bigger hook than you normally would too.

You could also fish a jigger rig. This works really well for Roach that won't go down. Lower it in rather than lay it in and let it go down quick, then slowly bring the rig back up. Similar to bombing it past them but you are putting the bait right where they want it while funding out what depth they having it at.

tysontim

Site Supporter
I use the above it’s good stuff, either mix it in with your ground bait or use it as a slop on its own.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Could try a rod and reel, perhaps the roach are nervous having a pole waved over them.

How about `spratt`s silvercloud` shilling for a cloth bag:)

alsur

Site Supporter
When we fished Royal Military in 80s we used sloppy Van Den Eynde supercup worked really well.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
thoughts on this, this morning

Im going to try a crowquill whip wag, will be tying some rigs today set shallow with just a no10 dropper

and dug some old fuse wire out the electrical repair box to knock up some self cocking pole floats, not quite sure how at the moment but will play around with the idea

picked up some molehill while out with himself this morn, just spread it on some newspaper in a tray to dry most of the damp out of it, will heat it in a old army camping oven type thing this after to do whats left, the grind it to a powder with a pestle

got some bags of browning roach GB and will try to grind that finer to, then mix with the molehill

monday looks to be a fine day, weather wise to try it out,

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
soil for me or any groundbait put though my fine riddle, amazing how much water is needed with some groundbaits to make them liquid

smiffy

Site Supporter
If you don’t mind using a light colour then VdE special is good straight out of the bag. I used to use Purple Haze if I needed darker but it’s been gone many years. Maybe molehill mixed as slop.

ATTICUS FINCH

@ Mickthe chippy .Mick don't mean to diss your float making as I'm sure they will be great for purpose ,BUT............. Up in the water fishing with a self cocking float is a big no no.
You need to see bites as they happen on the drop ,with a self cocker you won't bites on the drop as the float will already be set ,you need to be able to read if the bait has been taken on the drop ,to do this you fish with a light float with spread shot on the line ,each one being a tell take on the float setting .also you must keep a tight line to the float after you have layed your rig out watching for any twitch or movement of the float as these are your quick as lightening bites ,it would be advisable also to have a number eight backshot on the line as well as this aids holding a tight line to the float .
Hope all this helps mate and hopefully you don't think I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs .
Good luck on Monday and I'm annoyed that I can't make it with you.?