Closed Season

alsur

Site Supporter
I remember I had such a long break from fishing I didn't realise there's no longer a closed season on most canals. I'll be mostly on lakes though.
Some canals still have a closed season both my local canals do.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some canals still have a closed season both my local canals do.
All the decent canals (Kennet and Avon because it connects to a river and SSSIs) knowing my luck. Staffs/Worcs still open for me though.

alsur

Site Supporter
All the decent canals (Kennet and Avon because it connects to a river and SSSIs) knowing my luck. Staffs/Worcs still open for me though.
I think Kennet and Avon doesn't have a closed season at least not on all sections.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Genuine question. I’ve only recently got back into Coarse Fishing and am surprised to see that the Closed Season doesn’t seem to apply on still waters. I’m sure it applied on all waters when I last fished back in the 70s.

Do fish not spawn in still waters? Are they all triploid like most of the stocked trout?

If not, it seems a poor show that we can’t leave them in peace to ’do their business’ for a few months.
They do spawn but the reality is you probably won’t catch spawning fish. As fish all spawn at different times there’s always something not spawning to catch. The closed season on the rivers is more of a traditional thing as much as it is scientific these days as the Stillwaters have proved that that fishing through those months does little harm. Always think it’s a bit strange that we can’t fish for the fish that aren’t spawning when swimmers and boaters can still disrupt the fish that are spawning but it is what it is.

As I said earlier I’d keep the closed season (simply because it’ll never go anyway and does no harm) but just shorten it to the key spawning months rather than dates from decades ago when spawning times were different.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Genuine question. I’ve only recently got back into Coarse Fishing and am surprised to see that the Closed Season doesn’t seem to apply on still waters. I’m sure it applied on all waters when I last fished back in the 70s.

Do fish not spawn in still waters? Are they all triploid like most of the stocked trout?

If not, it seems a poor show that we can’t leave them in peace to ’do their business’ for a few months.
That's a good point.

The river Calder in Yorks was stocked with triploid (non-breeding) trout in the 90's/00's, so why have a trout closed season if they can't breed?

squimp

Site Supporter
That's a good point.

The river Calder in Yorks was stocked with triploid (non-breeding) trout in the 90's/00's, so why have a trout closed season if they can't breed?
Probably because there will still be a population of wild fish that need protecting, particularly at spawning time.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Probably because there will still be a population of wild fish that need protecting, particularly at spawning time.
I don't think there has been any wild fish the the Calder for 200 years! The Calder was a sewage and pollution infested river with only coarse fish surviving in it. When the river cleaned up in the 90's, the coarse fish dropped way down down river and the EA then stocked it with trout and grayling. Only the grayling seem to thrive and the trout are slowly disappearing.

squimp

Site Supporter
I don't think there has been any wild fish the the Calder for 200 years! The Calder was a sewage and pollution infested river with only coarse fish surviving in it. When the river cleaned up in the 90's, the coarse fish dropped way down down river and the EA then stocked it with trout and grayling. Only the grayling seem to thrive and the trout are slowly disappearing.
Interesting.

I remember mates fishing it in the 70’s (Iwas a student in Manchester) and catching lots of chub and dace and a few grayling too I think.

The EA work to something called the ‘precautionary principle’ - so if there is a chance of their being ‘A‘ wild fish left they will have to protect it.

I don’t know enough about the latest iteration of the EA’s ‘Trout and grayling strategy’ to comment on whether they now stock exclusively with triploids ?

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
As far as I understand, they EA only supply triploids for stocking, so that it does not interfere with existing wild fish. Why bother stocking sterile fish, it's just a waste of money.
The main problem for fish breeding in the Calder is the amount of oestrogen coming down the river from sewage works. This has got to have an effect on all fish breeding, trout and coarse fish.
A good example for this hormone problem in the Calder, about 10 years ago signal red crayfish got in the river (probably dumped in) and after a few years it was impossible not to catch one. In some matches, anglers were catching over 30 crayfish. Over the last 2 or 3 years the crayfish have disappeared! Yes, disappeared. I can only put that down to the hormones coming down the river and stoping them breeding.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Last day on the river for me tomorrow. I asked Alexa - "What time is sunrise?". My usual question for her. And she said 6.32am! Going to be an early start for me to get the only available peg. I expecting it to be my 4th blank in a row there but nothing ventured nothing gained.