Closed Season

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Only a few more days to go and the rivers will be on lockdown until the 16th June

:crybaby2:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ll no doubt be kicking Eastern European’s off the little river Went again. Seems like I’m doing it every year now. 🙄

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Saddest day of the fishing year when the rivers close. Mind you the river season ended mid December for me this year with first the floods then the travel restrictions. Tbh there's been floods most the way through since Christmas so the restrictions haven't made much difference.

Was my best season to date before the floods though so can't complain too much. Lots of good sessions with half a dozen or so of them good enough that I'll never forget them.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I think with all this flooding we get nearly every year now ,and all this lock down
they really should do away with the close season,.
i don't fish any more ,but I do think its unfair for those that do ,and loose out

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Just think, all those river anglers having to learn new skills, like fishing stillwaters.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I think with all this flooding we get nearly every year now ,and all this lock down
they really should do away with the close season,.
i don't fish any more ,but I do think its unfair for those that do ,and loose out
I see no reason to abolish the close season on rivers because it is only close season to coarse fishing. Diversify and learn new angling skills and get an extra 3 months worth of rod licence.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Only ten days of full closed season before the trout season opens. Local bylaws mean that it's not even restricted to just fluff chucking. The reality for me is that I'll be too busy chasing tench to bother with the rivers until July/August.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I see no reason to abolish the close season on rivers because it is only close season to coarse fishing. Diversify and learn new angling skills and get an extra 3 months worth of rod licence.
I’d keep it but knock off a couple weeks either end as very little spawns end of March that isn’t already spawning start of March and very little is still spawning come start of June that isn’t still spawning backend of June. With global warming virtually everything is done spawning before June in the south these days with most before May.

I like stillwater fishing in the closed season but I’m always desperate to get back on the rivers by the last couple weeks of it. Usually do a bit of sea fishing in the closed season as well but that is way more expensive and time consuming so you can’t do it every week. As for river trout fishing it’s a nice idea but it’s so expensive in the overwhelming majority of places.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
But a lot of us dont want to fly fishing and pay very high prices in trout lakes
lol, the trout lakes are cheap

try asking for a price for a days angling on a lot of noted game rivers

talk to your bank manager first

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
You can still fish lots of rivers from the 25th March so long as you use fly, lure, minnow or worm as bait. Still nice to trot a worm for the trout.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember I had such a long break from fishing I didn't realise there's no longer a closed season on most canals. I'll be mostly on lakes though.

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
Genuine question. I’ve only recently got back into Coarse Fishing and am surprised to see that the Closed Season doesn’t seem to apply on still waters. I’m sure it applied on all waters when I last fished back in the 70s.

Do fish not spawn in still waters? Are they all triploid like most of the stocked trout?

If not, it seems a poor show that we can’t leave them in peace to ’do their business’ for a few months.

Robwooly

Spot on, also worth adding that you can fish tidal rivers for sea fish. If anyone hasn't tried trotting bread for mullet and bass I'd really recommend it