Closed face reels

reelcase

Hi chaps looking to obtain some new close faced reels, what's the best on the market at the moment , cheers ian

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
There are a few good ones out there now.

Abu Garcia 506 Mk2, comes with 4 spools...

A 507 Mk2 is also out..

The Daiwa Harrier 125M...

It all depends on your budget.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Daiwa 125M had one, lovely, reel didnt use it often enough, so moved it on, but a cracking reel nevertheless...

reelcase

There are a few good ones out there now.

Abu Garcia 506 Mk2, comes with 4 spools...

A 507 Mk2 is also out..

The Daiwa Harrier 125M...

It all depends on your budget., hi thanks on this I have been looking at all these, was just unsure what to go for, good food for thought though

reelcase

Same as mate Dont use it at all but great reels Pm me @reelcase if yer interested ?
Hi buddy, I've not actually looked at one of these but would you recommend them, ive had the old ABU gold max mk2 but there worn ot, if your selling it what sort of money are you asking, cheers Ian

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
If I were buying again, I would hunt around for an original 506, 506M or 507, rather than the more recent variations.
They are not prohibitively expensive, and better built. In my opinion, that is.

reelcase

If I were buying again, I would hunt around for an original 506, 506M or 507, rather than the more recent variations.
They are not prohibitively expensive, and better built. In my opinion, that is.
Hi thanks for that, agreed about the build quality, and I'll have a think about that, cheers

reelcase

Reels of the past. All the top river angler's use normal reels these days.
, Hi yes agree but I have always used closed face with the wagg, just my preference now my two 507 gold max are defunct as to cant get the spool rubbers these days,

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Reels of the past. All the top river angler's use normal reels these days.

It depends on what you class as a 'normal' reel. There's a lot to be said for a closed face, the same can be said for the the good old 'pin' In the right hands both reels are winners.

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
, Hi yes agree but I have always used closed face with the wagg, just my preference now my two 507 gold max are defunct as to cant get the spool rubbers these days,
"With the Wagg" ? designed for stick float. Have used on very very short waggler still water windy weather but with <50mts of line on the spool range is limited. BTW try Jims Reel Shop for ABU spares.

trotter2

The new abu 506 reels are ok and so is the daiwa 125m
They all work as they should, and offer all the advantages a closed face reel gives you compared to a normal open faced reel. Lovely reels it all I use for river fishing. Enjoy mate.

reelcase

"With the Wagg" ? designed for stick float. Have used on very very short waggler still water windy weather but with <50mts of line on the spool range is limited. BTW try Jims Reel Shop for ABU spares.
Hi yes with the wag on rivers, never had an issue with casting always been floorless, I've tried Jim and he cant help with this issue, thanks anyway

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
reelcase; just looked up your spool rubbers. If thats all it is thats stopping you using them surely its a simple matter of adapting something to do the job. SUGRU could do the job. Mouldable putty rolled extra thin enough to replicate the rubber and wrapped around the spool into the grove. It hardens and if its a little too thick lightly sand to fit. Its excellent adaptable stuff. Sets well, flexes and stays fixed to most things. I would say it is a goer on this. what have you got to loose. Also lots of sizes for machinery in rubber rings / washers. Just search diameter, thickness, gage etc hope this helps. BTW, didn't Dave Harrell have something too do with those reels, maybe drop him a line.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Couldn't you make some out of mastic? That rubbery stuff?