Closed coarse season rules

IEatSand

Hey all, this may be a stupid question, but what exactly does coarse closed season mean? Can I still fish with lures and flies on rivers or is all fishing off limits?

smiffy

Site Supporter
It means there is no fishing for coarse fish from the 15th of March to the 15th of June. I think that includes lure fishing.
For rules concerning fly fishing there will be someone along shortly. I have no clue on those laws. Sorry.

Last edited:

cuzza

The method doesn’t matter, it’s what you’re fishing for and what’s in the river you’re fishing but you can’t target coarse fish in a river now until June 16th. Rivers with trout and coarse fish will have their own specific rules but generally you can only use fly and sometimes lures and worms once trout opens again (March 25th here but the exact date varies)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
There are some grey areas where trout and coarse fish exist side by side. Some get/got round the coarse close season by using worms for "trout" but inadvertently catching coarse fish.

Basic rule is no fishing for coarse fish. Abide by that and you cannot go wrong. Plenty of stillwaters and canals to fish while rivers are off limits.

Simon R

Site Supporter
In Yorkshire rivers only trout fishing is allowed and it's fly or worm only.
If you do decide to drown a worm or two ensure you're fishing the upper/middle reaches of the river - i.e. areas that actually contain a few trout

Not that long ago (25 years or so) it was perfectly legal to 'trout fish' with maggots - and of course everybody got continually pestered with those bloody coarse fish who didn't know we weren't trying to catch them. On the most popular stretches the only clue that it was actually the coarse fish close-season was the lack of keepnets in the water.

Simon

davej1981

In Yorkshire rivers only trout fishing is allowed and it's fly or worm only.
If you do decide to drown a worm or two ensure you're fishing the upper/middle reaches of the river - i.e. areas that actually contain a few trout

Not that long ago (25 years or so) it was perfectly legal to 'trout fish' with maggots - and of course everybody got continually pestered with those bloody coarse fish who didn't know we weren't trying to catch them. On the most popular stretches the only clue that it was actually the coarse fish close-season was the lack of keepnets in the water.

Simon
I remember the days of “any method” trout fishing. The day ticket fisheries put trout in the lakes to get around the closed season

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I remember the days of “any method” trout fishing. The day ticket fisheries put trout in the lakes to get around the closed season
Remember those days too, caught my first trout from a lake along with skimmer bream & roach. Brought to mind the old boy called Jack who was a bit of a character and I fished with many times in my twenties. Pretty sure he fished with the first pole I had seen back in the 80's.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
On all rivers it all comes down to your local bylaws. In other words its purely up to the riparian owner and the lessee. Nationally it is against the law to fish for coarse fish during the closed season, but if an agrrement has been made between the riparian land owner and the lessee (club or tenant) for trout fishing either by fly, lure/spinner or worm, then that is permitted. If in any doubt check with the owner of the angling rights. DON'T just rock up and assume its ok, because if you are in the wrong you will be prosecuted.